British Slang

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
Ok, here's a question for all you English guys. Why is your slang all like "bloody this, bloody that", "bloody HELL", "I can't be arsed", and, my favorite- SHITE (as in "everything is BLOODY SHITE", "I can't be arsed to give a shite", etc). You must realize you paint yourselves as a fairly miserable people, and I know that can't be the case.

SO, please take a few minutes to dispel that notion and share some of your slang for, uh, more positive, even happy concepts.

Do you have any special words for "sunshine" or "rainbow"?
How 'bout "Puppies"??

SO, please take a few minutes to dispel that notion and share some of your slang for, uh, more positive, even happy concepts.

No no...it's true. We're all miserable. It's shite here.
Not even just English...Welsh, Scottish, N.I.... :)

Our neighbours have a puppy. I generally refer to it as a yappy wee bastard.

Not always on a downer though. "Bloody Hell" is a form of expression for something that surprises or amazes. A bit like a GeeWiz or Golly Gosh or whatever. As can "Bleedin' Nora" which is another "Flippin' 'Eck" kind of thing.

"Bag O Shite" (baggershite) can relate to anything that isn't very good.

"Fuck Me Sideways" would be being bewildered or astonished. Face palm kind of thing. My Dad's version of this is "Fuck Me Drunk"

Depends where you're from duck. There's a shitload of slang round my way, norrit. :thumbs up: ("Norrit" is an Ilkeston thing that I think means "You know what I mean?" but can also be used to mean "It is" as opposed to "Irrit" which means "Isn't it?"

I could probably confuse people all day long with this shite :laughings:

When I was in england, everyone did seem stuffy and miserable. Stand off-ish. They all seemed to trudge along in their bleak dreary miserable lives. No one smiled, no one laughed, everything was stiff and drab. But! As a young energetic american pain in the ass with not much else to do, I forced myself on to these people. I asked for directions, I asked for recommendations, I asked for help, I asked how they were doing, and every single fucking limey that I forced myself on to, they all ended up being super nice and friendly and very chatty once I got them going. I had one guy in "the tube" literally pull his newspaper up over his face as I approached, but I pestered him anyway, and we ended up bullshitting for about half an hour. I make fun of them all the time, but I really like the fucking limeys.

London is possibly one of the dullest places in the UK for human beings and conversation.

Next time you visit, go to Manchester, Liverpool, Dublin or better still, Glasgow. While possibly one of the scariest places for anyone with an English accent, Glasgow is one of the friendliest places I've ever been.

Not always on a downer though. "Bloody Hell" is a form of expression for something that surprises or amazes. A bit like a GeeWiz or Golly Gosh or whatever. As can "Bleedin' Nora" which is another "Flippin' 'Eck" kind of thing.

"Bag O Shite" (baggershite) can relate to anything that isn't very good.

"Fuck Me Sideways" would be being bewildered or astonished. Face palm kind of thing. My Dad's version of this is "Fuck Me Drunk"

Depends where you're from duck. There's a shitload of slang round my way, norrit. :thumbs up: ("Norrit" is an Ilkeston thing that I think means "You know what I mean?" but can also be used to mean "It is" as opposed to "Irrit" which means "Isn't it?"

I could probably confuse people all day long with this shite :laughings:

Man you should stick around, I feel like you're going to be an invaluable asset to this thread.

Bollock is a fantastic word that has been around for a long long time. Can be used in many different phrases to mean different things.

"Argh Bollocks" is like saying "Ooops" or "For Fucks Sake"

"Drop A Bollock" - Make a mistake

"Getting a Bollocking" is something we used to receive from parents when kids and done something wrong. A bollocking from your Mum was not so bad but when Dad came in to it, you feared.

"Talking Bollocks" Relive any know-it-all that posted about shite in The Cave. They all talked bollocks.

They are loads of uses for that one word.

That you will only ever hear in a shite film with an American portraying an Englishman, badly. You Yankies can't do a Limey for love nor money.

:laughings:

Hey, I learned that from a scottish dude. Cheerio and toodle pip!

---------- Update ----------

Throw anutha roo on tha bah-bee!

London is possibly one of the dullest places in the UK for human beings and conversation.

Next time you visit, go to Manchester, Liverpool, Dublin or better still, Glasgow. While possibly one of the scariest places for anyone with an English accent, Glasgow is one of the friendliest places I've ever been.

people in Glasgow have an English accent?

this thread is so full of ignorance ;)

Back