I'm ready for some football.

I'm just surprised that Sanchez is making shit happen! Total 180 from his days with the Jets.

That's what happens when you give a quarterback an actual coach that can design an offense. Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator at best. No QB has a prayer in his offense.

How is that going to work if they're sharing it with seven other teams?

Fuck if I know. I assume home/away scheduling and the district teams playing each other will make it work. "Friday Night Lights" is an understatement in Texas though. Yeah, Friday is "the night" for high school football. But football works any night of the week down here. Tuesday night? Sure, no problem. The whole city will be there.

Katy High School is the big dog of the Katy area. Big, dumb, beef fed white boys and a few thugged out coloreds shipped in from the poorer areas of Houston for speed and agility. I don't know how Katy gets away with the dominance they have every single year. The water tower is running out of room for state championship banners.

Mississippi St vs Alabama this week. No one saw this coming. Miss St is usually a doormat for the big SEC powers. This time they're ranked #1 but, as I type this, an 8 pt underdog! Crazy. As good as they are this season, I just can't see Miss St winning. I just can't. It's at Bama. These huge games are an every day occurrence to Bama. No big deal. They deal with games like this 5 or 6 times a year. Miss St has NEVER been in this position before. I think the pressure will eat them alive. Look at what it did to Ole Miss. Gonna be an exciting game though.

that's what I like about the SEC....so many good teams, but it always kinda implodes on itself lol because they all kill each other. Sucks for the teams in the conference but it's fun to watch :D

that's what I like about the SEC....so many good teams, but it always kinda implodes on itself lol because they all kill each other. Sucks for the teams in the conference but it's fun to watch :D

It's true. The SEC is it's own worst enemy. That's why I don't understand SEC haters. They're clearly very stupid. The best thing for your hopes and dreams as a non-SEC school is that your chances of getting somewhere in the rankings/bowls are better when the SEC is devouring itself because no one else can. The SEC should leave the NCAA and just be the NFL's minor league.

Bills and Dolphins... What a boring game. Field goal, Field goal, Field goal...obligatory blown call by the refs resulting in a safety. What a joke.

Bills and Dolphins... What a boring game. Field goal, Field goal, Field goal...obligatory blown call by the refs resulting in a safety. What a joke.

I think they got it right. I mean, I wouldn't have flagged that, but I can see why they would since Orton was under pressure, falling backwards, and just sort of heaved it up. The Bills excuse was a bad route run by the receiver. An improper route can't be an excuse because that would always be the excuse.

I initially thought the flag was roughing the passer. He got tagged pretty hard and late after the throw.

It's pretty much a wash IMO. If Alabama beats Mississippi state then the SEC will have two top 4 teams instead of one, and TCU will get screwed out of a spot despite having many significant high quality wins and a higher quality loss (Bama lost to 2-loss 10th ranked Mississippi whereas TCU lost to 1 loss 6th ranked Baylor).

It's pretty much a wash IMO. If Alabama beats Mississippi state then the SEC will have two top 4 teams instead of one, and TCU will get screwed out of a spot despite having many significant high quality wins and a higher quality loss (Bama lost to 2-loss 10th ranked Mississippi whereas TCU lost to 1 loss 6th ranked Baylor).

This is true. TCU will likely get shafted. You know who should get shafted out of the top 4? Undefeated Florida State. They've skimped, gimped, and lucked their way by a number of mediocre teams. Just from the "eye test", many of the one-loss teams look significantly better than the Criminoles.

This is true. TCU will likely get shafted. You know who should get shafted out of the top 4? Undefeated Florida State. They've skimped, gimped, and lucked their way by a number of mediocre teams. Just from the "eye test", many of the one-loss teams look significantly better than the Criminoles.

I agree FSU is not nearly as good this year. But they're undefeated and they beat Notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville, and Oklahoma State - all top 25 ranked teams at the time that they lost to FSU (ND was top 10). Plus they're going to have to play Miami. They also put UF on their schedule every year. It's not as if they didn't try to have a difficult schedule but the University of Florida (SEC) is a cupcake and duh U is only 6-3.

They also have a 25 game winning streak and they are the defending champs. I know that's not technically supposed to count but then again neither is sliding by mediocre teams, but you brought it up. Being the defending champs ought to earn some deference.

You know my opinion on this: I think the NCAA should step in and equalize strength of schedule to the extent that they can. That way we don't have to debate teams with undefeated cupcake schedules vs teams who have been beaten.

when they first came up with this so-called play-off I told my wife I didn't see how it was any better than than what they had before and that the controversies would be just as large.

It's flat out stupid ..... you still have a committee or 'puter deciding who the top 4 teams are ..... how is that any different really?

They try to call it a play off system but it's not at all. Gonna be some good games to watch but there's always gonna be potential champion teams on the sidelines.

You need more teams and more games if you're gonna have a true play-off.
And I don't think that's really practical.

I agree FSU is not nearly as good this year. But they're undefeated and they beat Notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville, and Oklahoma State - all top 25 ranked teams at the time that they lost to FSU (ND was top 10). Plus they're going to have to play Miami. They also put UF on their schedule every year. It's not as if they didn't try to have a difficult schedule but the University of Florida (SEC) is a cupcake and duh U is only 6-3.

They also have a 25 game winning streak and they are the defending champs. I know that's not technically supposed to count but then again neither is sliding by mediocre teams, but you brought it up. Being the defending champs ought to earn some deference.

You know my opinion on this: I think the NCAA should step in and equalize strength of schedule to the extent that they can. That way we don't have to debate teams with undefeated cupcake schedules vs teams who have been beaten.
The "defending national champ" thing should be irrelevant because they're not actually defending it. I hate that kind of logic because it's a seasonal thing. It's not like boxing where a guy really does take the belt away. I'm also torn on the "ranked at the time" logic. I get it, I get using that in defense of schedule strength, but here at the end it really doesn't hold water. A win against Clemson or Louisville or Ok St isn't that impressive anymore. Oklahoma state is 5-4 and has been blown out 3 weeks in a row. That win means nothing. Clemson lost bad to Georgia, barely lost to Fl St, and hasn't beaten anyone else of significance. Louisville? That's not a quality win. Florida State's lone quality win is against Notre Dame....who just got blown out by Az St. Last year Florida State was impressive. This year they're getting by on reputation, which is falling fast, and an actually weak conference and schedule now that it's all playing out. They are overrated.

when they first came up with this so-called play-off I told my wife I didn't see how it was any better than than what they had before and that the controversies would be just as large.

It's flat out stupid ..... you still have a committee or 'puter deciding who the top 4 teams are ..... how is that any different really?

They try to call it a play off system but it's not at all. Gonna be some good games to watch but there's always gonna be potential champion teams on the sidelines.

You need more teams and more games if you're gonna have a true play-off.
And I don't think that's really practical.

I agree. I didn't like it as soon as they mentioned it. A "committe" of humans is a joke. Picking only 4 teams is a joke. This is not a fix to the BCS at all. IMO what they should have done is let the computer/human BCS system rank the teams 1-8 and turn those 8 loose in a seeded playoff format. It makes too much sense. Like em or not, the BCS did a nice job of ranking teams. They really did. The computers don't care about what you did last year. They don't care about respect or reputation. They look at wins, losses, home/away/neutral field, and who your opponents won and lost to. It makes sense. But making sense is not what college football is all about.

Yeah, I'm glad they finally ditched the old system for a playoff, but I still think it needs to be bigger. Personally I'd like the top 12 teams selected using some hardcore computer algorithms that decide using record and strength of schedule. Then the top 4 would get a first round bye. I like 12 because I find that's usually where the gap between most of the 11-1 and 10-2 teams is. That way, you don't have an 11-1 team get shafted because they were like 9th or something, like Baylor or Ohio State.

Just going off of the top 25 right now for the CFP, the list would be:

Miss St.
Oregon
FSU
TCU
Bama
Arizona St.
Baylor
Ohio St.
Auburn
Ole Miss
UCLA
Michigan St.

That'd be some intense shit. I'm telling you, 12 is the perfect format. You could wrap it up in less than a month too.

Here we go. Now Bama is gripping hard. Good game. Miss St showing tremendous guts to take all these punches and still be in the game.

Back