New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello there people of HR,

I am a guy who has been playing the violin for about 5-6 years, but have stopped recently due to heavy schedule of school and more. I hope to be keeping in touch with you guys often, though. This seems like a nice community and the people here are pretty experienced and I hope to be something like a radio host or something in the future if possible. But of course , I have so many dreams ( Doctor, radio host, violinist ) and I still am pretty unsure of what to choose, hopefully the future will show me my path! And also, I'm indecisive, so don't count on me when it comes to decisions.

Cheers,
Darren.

hello my name is t=0 as i'v started a new life today. This is my t=0, i'v started recording and making music from today itself. :P

I've been creating my own digital music for two whole days, now. I find I really need some knowledgeable support, so here I am!

Musical affinity: Innate
Musical background: barely educated
Musical ability: instinctive
Computer knowledge: enough to be a danger to my computer.
Industry vocabulary: "duh..." I know the definitions of DAW, MIDI, WAV, and MP3 because I looked them up this morning on Wikipedia.

Basically, I know what I like and what sounds good. I found Magix Music Maker and downloaded the 30-day free trial. I was hooked within the first couple hours. I've already written several songs (of course, I'm still tweaking them). Now that I have some idea of how a DAW works, I'm researching which ones might be best for me with an eye toward publishing. There seems to be a lot of advice about high-end DAWs, ranging from "can't live without them" to "you can do the same without spending the cash".

So, here I am! Hopefully, I'm here to stay.

Yo.

First off, I'm not really from the south. But I pretend to be, sometimes. The accent rocks.

I'm a bass player first, vocalist second. Third, I've been trying to step up and make our crappy homemade recordings into something marketable. We've recorded in a studio, and that helped a lot with understanding exactly what goes into a professional sounding product, but I'm still not convinced we've reached our full potential. (I'll post a thread eventually describing our setup, gear, etc.)

Anyway, I've poked around a few threads and gained some useful knowledge. Easily the best/most complete recording forum I could find.

So, I became a member.

Bye.

Hello all!!

I'm a looooong time home recording engineer, involved since 87-88. Worked in a few "major" facilities, but always found my way back home. Just loved the control of my own environment. Haven't been really active the past 2-3 years, but always stayed current with tools and "trends". Just looking to receive advice, as well as share as I get back into the swing of things. I stumbled across this forum and it looks like a great place to hang out!!! Look fwd to new conversations and new acquaintances.

I tried to post this earlier and screwed it up, but here it is...
I am in Spokane Washington, a student of audio engineering at SFCC, and hobbyist audiophile for 21 years.
The program awards a one year certificate, or a two year degree.
I just finished the first quarter, learning introduction to recording and technology. Started off with signal flow, acoustics, microphones, and setting up and working the 16 track tape recorder.
Also took introduction audio technology. We were taught history, binary/hex number systems, midi, and a bunch of terminology.
So now my brain is thoroughly worked out having just taken the finals.
Next quarter splits the class into either recording, or live sound. I am going into the recording and will take live sound in the 3rd quarter.
The faculty has impressive credentials, and most are active in the local and national music scene. The facilities are new and top of the line.
I will probably be here asking some newbie questions as the course material gets more difficult. I thank you in advance for your help. If you have any questions about the program, I would be happy to give you my take. If you are a student also, let’s compare notes.
Ok, see yaw around.
BB

I'm new here, have lurked for some time. I've been recording stuff at home since 08 I think. Using garageband. I've been doing it mostly trial and error style but there are far too many ways to go wrong with home recording. I'm going to start asking questions about things that have confused me for a long time, hopefully you guys can help me! I have songs online which I will share once I have ten posts. :P

K thanks for the noobie spam thread. I'd appreciate any feedback for my music. I'll be posting a lot more in the future probably. Like i said this has all been trial and error and i'm using my ear more than my brain!

www.soundclick.com/mikebisforbyj

Last edited:
My names Frank and in a few days I'll be 58 years old, I used to be a teenager and when I was I worked in radio with the aim of pursuing a technical career in Broadcast Engineering and Sound recording, I'm well trained in Analog Electronics, I am experienced at the component level, my knowledge spans vacuum tubes to early transistor to solid state equipment; my asset to many younger people today is in helping them understand impedance matching for inputs vs. outputs for sound quality retention, understanding types and uses of microphones, and how to properly electronically marry vintage audio gear to the new digital gear to retain the best quality when performing analog to digital transfers. Having worked at professional studios during the 70's & 80's Ive cut records on a cutting lathe, operated 2-8 & 16 track analog mixing boards that recorded on up to 1" audio tape, repaired and rebuilt that equipment, installed recording studios and more. Today I enjoy playing in my home studio where I have a variety of old and new equipment for doing audio and video transfers from old to new technology; knowing the old analog world I have embraced its new digital age, just not all its gadgets and gizmos yet. Any here are free to contact me for advice on things I know. frankabittner@yahoo.com

Hi
Been making music with a computer for 13 years , and I still have a steady stream of ideas....maybe more now than ever.
Before that , i was using everything from a casio sk1 and a vintage home tape recorder , to a roland d20 and a fostex 4 track

Been on the cover dvd of computer music magazine , played on radio 1 , and recently had the good fortune to have been played on the mtv channel , so not exactly a noob anymore , but i'll never reach the stage where I can say i've "arrived ".

Looking forward to maybe getting to know some of you .

Found this forum by accident while I was googling something

You can hear about 50 tracks on my soundcloud , all different styles but heavy on melody........quite a few of which are free.
There are also links to some free albums i've made.
All from my signature below.
Thanks !

2M

Last edited:
Hi even though Im not a newbie as I haven't been on here for quite sometime I thought I,d reintroduce myself.Im 68 younger than McCartney and Jagger but not as rich.Ive got a small recording/songwriting studio and have a strong link to Rockfield studios here in Wales. I've got a technical problem I,d like to ask the forum re,my Roland VS 880 and would like to know where to post it up. Thanks Frank

Welcome one and all to the mad house. Enjoy your stay learn like i have and share your experiances and you'll have a ball and make some friends.
Welcome :)

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums, and recording in general, I find audio one of the more confusing subjects to learn, its not like learning a software :). However I know audio & recording is an important subject for anything your doing.

I also decided to register on here since I need some advice from experts (you will notice with the thread I will post soon :))....

Hello! My name is Dave. I am a singer songwriter guitar playing trying to be a studio rat. I'm in a band named SlingBlade (like the movie) and we play blues/rock. Slingblade Blues/Rock with an Edge I have a home setup, like my entire basement. I built a control room and have a live room. I have been using cakewalk products since the beginning of time. I'm now using Sonar X1, soon to be X2. I have a Tascam front end and 2 M-Audio Delta 1010's, so I can record 16 tracks at a time. I custom build computers for companies, so I have a home grown setup there. I'm not so sure I can offer much, but I know this forum will be very useful to me. I hope I can respond to some questions in return. Easy ones anyway.

Back