New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi,
I have read so many things on the net from this site that I thought it was about time that I joined.
Looking forward to sharing experiences and learning from you all.

hello I am here to get the music advices.

I hope I can help someone else in the process....

EDIT: actually now I see that I joined some years ago but never posted. Must be a temporary indisposition...

Last edited:
Hello

Been playing guitar for over 30 years, most of that time for a living, getting old(er) now in my late 40's, tired of gigging, thought I would try my hand at home recording. Way back in college I studied orchestration, composition and arranging so time to dust of the old books, read some new ones on how and what to do, and hopefully come up with a reasonable facsimile of what I hear in my head.

Besides snow is coming, it is getting cold and I need another outlet to keep busy.

Good to be here.

Hello all from the UK shires. I've been farting about for the last two years or so,getting the gear together. Which is an old Fostex 812 mixing desk,a second hand PC (2 Gig Ram),Digidesign 002 Rack/Protools 7.1LE as well as 4 mics-nothing fantastic.Lastly a Quadreverb,Fostex Comp/Gate and an old Aphex Aural Exiciter. Oh and a Yamaha Semi Acoustic,Yamaha bass,and cheap Westfield SE888 with filed down frets,new PU's and electrics,and a cheap 7 PC drum kit.. So very basic stuff.

I have written a few lyrics,can play the guitar,but no Hendrix. But,I do have Spirit and I hope the feeling comes out in what I record. Unfortunatly,I cant drum well/keep time and listening to a recording the other day,found out my voice is out of tune with my guitar. Too many fags and booze.

All I have to do now is find out how all this gear works,play live and engineer at the same time,give up the booze and fags and produce some music before I die. Oh and hopefully make a few bob. And make the world a better place. : )

Apologies for the long waffle. Good site. Hope to learn. Andy.

Last edited:
They always say that old dogs can't learn new tricks...They can go f**k themselves! :)

Great to hear from mature members (I say knowing I'm still trying to mature at my age) that wish to create.

Welcome 40+ members! You are amongst friends here. :D

Hey, I'm Tracy Towns. I'm always fascinated to see what other people are using to record. I just posted some pics of my studio in the studio building and display thread in the let me see your studio! Poll. I started setting up a home studio over 20 years ago (using a 4 track cassette recorder) and it has been constantly evolving. I moved my recording over to computer in 2000 and everything has changed a lot since then. I was signed last February and have really gotten a lot of use from my studio this year. I look forward to checking out more of what everyone else uses and maybe get some new ideas!

They always say that old dogs can't learn new tricks...They can go f**k themselves! :)

Great to hear from mature members (I say knowing I'm still trying to mature at my age) that wish to create.

Welcome 40+ members! You are amongst friends here. :D

Best I show myself out. :(

It's....... It's too late for that!

shunned.jpg

LOL! :D

Hi,

I am new here and have recently started back to composing a bit. Many years ago...(back in 1981)...I stepped into a small home town studio and recorded a series of songs of my own. I was 18 years old then. I had been playing guitar and writing since the age of 13. I had grown up on Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, and the like, but Gary Numan was my music hero at that particular time in life.

Now, after a career in the Army, and life's happenings, I sit here with Ableton Live in front of me on an old laptop I garnished from my grandson who was going to throw it away. I am learning how to play the guitar again to the proficiency I had when a kid. I have so much material running around in my head now as well, with this wonder of digital audio production software available now (gosh had I had this back then!!). I bought a used M-Audio MidAir 25, hooked in, and have been playing with it....like a kid in a candy store.

I wanted to ask the forum here some questions about approaching this now in this age, and this time in my life...very simple questions on what brings me here. Perhaps this will belong in another thread. If so please let me know and I will copy it there. I will also answer these questions concerning my viewpoint. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading all the great stuff in this forum. Thanks:

1. What were your original intentions with starting to record at home?

Answer: Since hearing my cousins play (very loudly) Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin at the young age of 7 and on up, I wanted to be a recording artist. I wanted to play drums like I was hearing John Bonham play. I took up guitar and playing in bands, but needed more of a way to "seal" that into something that I wanted to hear again... a recording. And I wanted it to sound good too.

2. How much time and effort do you dedicate to recording at home presently?

Answer: I am new at this technology we now have. Creating drum loops is starting to seem maddening for one thing. I trying to devote one hour a day to just learning how to use Ableton. I am also devoting time now to stopping, and writing down any little verse or idea I hear in my head. I have a full time job and a life, but this interests me to where I need to get it out.

3. Do you sell your recordings, or give them freely to the community?

If a song would sell, say to pay off my house or car, that would be grand. But I have lived through enough stuff and "been up against it" enough to realize that those things are not so important now. I honestly don't know what will come out of this, but my intention is to give back to the community in some way. By performing in a band for free perhaps, or giving my music away for some production or something like that? Solidifying my thoughts in a message given forth in a song via a recording, which could last forever and represent something, is probably the most important thing for me now.

Again, thanks so much!

Cedric

Hi there! My name is Susan and I am brand new to this site. A little about myself... I am a trained vocalist who used to actually make a living at it. Life stepped in and I basically left the industry. I have since reconnected with an old love from the past who has ignited my long lost love for making music. I have never been happier, sort of like waking up after a long hybernation. I am looking forward to using this site as an asset to help me get my feet wet again and bring me up to speed on all the technology I have missed out on. Thanks in advance for being my new friends and colleagues!

I am Zoel. I sing and play guitar. I used to play more of Deep Purple, Beatles, Led Zeppelin to Metallica and now I am more towards writing my own songs and record them at my home. Now my songs are no more like Metallica and all, they are like Bruno Mars songs. But still I am doing more type of music. My main purpose here is to know more about recording and mixing.

Hello
After a long time away from Music, Im back and trying to catchup! I did co-own an analog studio many years ago and am trying to educate myself on all the new digital gear for home recording, so please forgive me for asking any stupid questions.

Last edited:
Hey ive never been in this thread...cool, glad to meet you all

I need to hang out here more :(

Back