Tascam MX2424 SCSI HD mobile rack caddy type.

The actual caddy would depend on the mating part fitted to the machine, if it was from Tascam Factory it will probably have a "Kingston Rhino Jr carrier" but it was fitted later it could be anything.

Alan.

I'll have a look inside, looks like it's just the removable caddy part containing the hard disk which is missing. I'm assuming I can replace it with any complete 68pin scsi caddy & base if I can't find the exact removable H.D section to fit the one in the machine.

I'll have a look inside, looks like it's just the removable caddy part containing the hard disk which is missing. I'm assuming I can replace it with any complete 68pin scsi caddy & base if I can't find the exact removable H.D section to fit the one in the machine.

You can use any brand, matching caddy and base, as long as it is compatible to 68pin scsi, for the record I use a different brand but mine are in external towers, in fact I have 6 bays made up of 2 different brands so I can use up to 3 drives of a single brand or 1 of 1 brand a 2 of another etc, not all 6 at once LOL. This set up is good for back ups on the fly and copying projects across to another drive.

I have always recommended having all drives in an external tower as it gets the heat out of the MX and takes a lot of load off the MX power supply. Second hand Scsi parts are very cheap nowadays.

Alan.

Looks like the removable caddy is still inside the machine attached to the end of the SCSI cable, but without a hard disk installed.

There's also another internal HD fitted with screw attachments to the top of the caddy frame, but not connected to the middle SCSI ribbon cable connector. Maybe I should try & connect this drive up to the SCSI cable until I get another HD.

I've just located a caddy key, I'm assuming they are all the same type of key so I'll try & open up the caddy so I can install a HD in there.

No luck with the caddy key as the one I tried is a different size fit, the caddy is a Data Express Rhino so I've asked the the makers if they have replacement keys available.

I plugged in the internal drive, Quantum Atlas 10K 18G & it works fine, Doctor Who theme is on the disk so must be a old BBC machine! Software version 3.12 RAM 256MB. The MX2424 is a bit noisy so I'll see about replacing the internal fan. Long term I'll get an external drive solution.

Thanks for the advice Alan.

I sent an Email to Kingston / Data Express regarding the key & they said they'll send me a free set!. I've ordered the replacement fan, cheers Andy.

So I need an ethernet cat5 crossover cable to use the MX2424 with MXview, I have Vista installed on my Macbook Pro so I'm hoping I can get MXview to work?

I also need an AES/EBU loom to connect my Lucid 88192 to the MX2424, it seems that I need proper 110ohm digital cable but at present I only have an analog Dsub loom & I'm not sure if that will work properly.

I sent an Email to Kingston / Data Express regarding the key & they said they'll send me a free set!. I've ordered the replacement fan, cheers Andy.

So I need an ethernet cat5 crossover cable to use the MX2424 with MXview, I have Vista installed on my Macbook Pro so I'm hoping I can get MXview to work?

I also need an AES/EBU loom to connect my Lucid 88192 to the MX2424, it seems that I need proper 110ohm digital cable but at present I only have an analog Dsub loom & I'm not sure if that will work properly.

If you have the MX directly connected to a computer you need a crossover cable, if you have it connected via a hub you don't. I use a hub, but I have a crossover adapter in case one of the MX's goes on location and is connected direct. So if you have cables just buy an adaptor if it's direct.

Yes MX view does run on Windows 7, however it won't install in the usual way as windows 7 thinks it is too old. Download mx view from the Tascam downloads (or I can send it to you send me a PM with your email) Drag the folder containing MX view into the computers program folder, go into the MX view folder and click on the mx view icon, and it will open and run, if you have any problems let me know.

Can't help with AES/EBU as I have never used it as I have analog cards and Adat cards fitted.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I installed the Noctua fan which had a 3 wire 3pin connector instead of the old fan with 2 wires & 4pin molex. The new connector wouldn't fit properly but I used the old fan connector & wired the red & black wires the same as before & left the extra yellow wire unconnected & wrapped with electrical tape.

I don't know what the extra yellow wire is for (I assume speed control) but the old fan just had red & black wires so that's what I what I've used!

Still can't find the SCSI HD caddy keys yet but have got it working now with SATA caddy drives & an Acard adapter.

Thanks Alan, I installed the Noctua fan which had a 3 wire 3pin connector instead of the old fan with 2 wires & 4pin molex. The new connector wouldn't fit properly but I used the old fan connector & wired the red & black wires the same as before & left the extra yellow wire unconnected & wrapped with electrical tape.

I don't know what the extra yellow wire is for (I assume speed control) but the old fan just had red & black wires so that's what I what I've used!

Still can't find the SCSI HD caddy keys yet but have got it working now with SATA caddy drives & an Acard adapter.

Thats how I connected the fan too, I think from memory (which is getting worse these days) the fans can run in 2 speed mode, but this won't work on the MX. I saw that you got it working with the sata drives, I may do this myself at some stage, but I have about 20 scsi drives and loads of caddies so not really required yet. I was however thinking of using a sata drive as a global scsi back up in the scsi system as transferring the projects over the ethernet is very slow.

Cheers
Alan.

Thanks for your help Alan.

The price for SCSi drives is extortionate here considering that they are all old & used or NOS (if you're lucky!) For the price of one 18G SCSI drive I bought three SATA drives total 320GB, so almost 18 times as much storage space. They are also more quiet than the SCSi drive I have at least & don't get as hot either.

Thanks for your help Alan.

The price for SCSi drives is extortionate here considering that they are all old & used or NOS (if you're lucky!) For the price of one 18G SCSI drive I bought three SATA drives total 320GB, so almost 18 times as much storage space. They are also more quiet than the SCSi drive I have at least & don't get as hot either.

I bought a pile of second hand scsi drives over the years, some were stuffed some run like a gem, but usually only cost $20 so no matter. When I get a new (second hand) drive, I record all 24tracks for an hour, then jump around the project popping it into record and playback quickly, if the drive stands up (no media too slow message) it's into the system.

I also bought a second MX a few years ago and in the deal was 2 x scsi towers with rack out bays and a pile of drives, all work fine. So with what I had before and the extras with the second mx I have been spoilt. However they are not getting any younger and eventually I will need to upgrade the drives. Either that or buy a Tascam X-48Mk2 Hummmm!

Alan.

Back