Tascam 246

jweis81

I know that the 246 is an older model, but what newer is it most comparable to(in features, sound quality, etc.). Thanks.

Well...

It's really hard to come up with a 'newer'/comparable unit to the 246. It had some pretty unique features.

First, sound quality. Any modern Tascam Portastudio running 3-3/4 ips and dbx, with parametric EQ, will be comparable to the 246 in 'sound quality'. that was easy.

There are many to choose from, new/comparables in sound quality, such as the 424mkIII, 414mkII [both sold new], and the 424mkII [no longer sold new]. Also, the list continues, just based on comparable 'sound quality', the list is long.

Second, features. That's where it gets a little tougher. The 246 had some pretty unique features. 4 buss/6 input mixer, VU meters, inserts, STEREO cue monitor, etc. The 246 is hard to beat, in Portastudio-land. [The 424mkII/III and 414mkII are 2-buss mixers, mono cue, LED display].

That 246 is really the little brother of the 388, with very, very similar features and design to the 388, only 6 input/4 buss/cassette.

There may still be a few mint, low usage 246's that can be bought second hand. You may already have one. It's a great unit.

The most comparable/newer unit to the 246 would probably be the 644, or 464, but I'd not necessarily recommend those over a nice 246.

True, the 644 and 464 are comparable, 4 buss/6 input Portastudios, comparable sound quality, and 'newer', but still vintage machines, only a few years newer design than the 246.

I prefer the 246's VU meters to the 644/464's LCD display.

The LED displays are much better on the 424mkII and 424mkIII, than the LCD displays on the 644/464 & 788.

Thank you for the reply, it was just the sort of information I was looking for. I read somewhere that the 246 was a great unit, so I decided to see if it compared to any of the current portastudios.

Well,

When talking 'new' Portastudios, you're pretty much locked into the 424mkIII, 414mkII, and Porta 02mkII- for cassette 4track Portastudios.

The 424mkIII, obviously, is the top-of-the-line unit, and a very nice Portastudio, new @ Guitar Ctr for $399.

When you're talking 'newer' than the 246, the list is pretty wide open, with 'new' and 'used' Portastudios galore.

The 246 is really hard to match, in features. It's the 4-buss thing that's hard to find on other Portastudios, as most of them are/were 2-buss machines.

I know there may be a few 'like new' 246's out there, used [Ebay], in fact, just yesterday, a 246 auction closed, for a "used only twice", "virtually brand new in box" 246. It closed for $380, which sounds high, but considering it was in virtually brand new condition, it was a fair price.

I just recently scored a used 246, and it also is in 'like new/barely used/in box' condition [$255].

Some of the used gear out there is 'near-mint, mint, or rarely used' equipment, but it varies. A good picture of a Portastudio will give you a fairly good idea as to the condition of it, as a 'used' piece of gear.

I've been lucky. I've scored many used/"like new" Tascam recorders, and when they arrived, the actually were nice, like new, mint, barely used pieces. I've been really lucky about that.

I know there's more nice used gear out there, but it varies, case by case, so buyer beware.

BTW, as I've said before, it's still possible to occasionally find a used 246 in immaculate condition. I've seen them, and I have one

Even Portastudios or R/R's that 'won't play', often need only minor maintenance. F/I, I recently scored a clean-looking 244, that didnt' work... [didn't play, and FF/RW was spotty] for $56.

As it turned out, I needed to replace all the rubber parts: 2 belts [capstan and head-load], 2 rubber 'tires' [rw/ff], and one pinch roller. Parts, total, cost about ~$15, less than $20. Labor and repair, I did myself. Now, the 244 looks perfect and runs perfectly too, just like new. A like-new 244,... not bad for under $75 + labor.

These Portastudio units are fairly easy to work on [repair], and I think they're very much worth repairing. Many decks of this age may likely need the rubber parts replaced, so this is a common concern, and I regard this as 'minor maintenance'. Most DIY's can do this type of maintenance on a Portastudio.

Tascam Parts @ (323) 727-4840 will sell you service manuals for most of their older products, including the 246 [& 244, etc].

If you're not much of a DIY'er, Tascam Service [in Montebello, CA], is still a good alternative, and even though labor is >$100, it's sometimes worth it to have them do your repairs. At least you'll be certain of a high quality fix, with 90 day 'repair' warranty.

Good luck. Portastudios are GREAT. An experienced Portastudio user can create CD-worthy material from the Tascam Portastudio 4track-cassette format.

Another quick question for you. Since you mentioned the 244, what are the differences between that and the 246? I have seen some 244s on Ebay for fairly low prices.

Sure, I like questions like this.

I started out with my first Tascam 244, in 1982, then in 1983, I scored a Tascam 38 & M30 mixer. Then, FF to 1997, and I scored a new 424mkII. Since 12/00, I've started buying vintage peices of recording gear, and have since literally become a Tascam collector. I now have several Portastudios, R/R's, Syncasets and mixers, almost too numerous to mention. I've done maintenance on many of them, and that's how I got most of my knowledge about operation and repair,... from first hand experience. [I do computer repair for a living, but do recording and recorder maintenance for a hobby].

BTW, Portastudio is a Tascam-trademarked name, and all the others, [Fostex, Yamaha, Marantz], are portastudio-like, "me too", clone devices.

The Tascam 144 is the seminal, first generation Portastudio. It is a 4 channel/2 buss mixer [L/R- STEREO], [LINE OUT and AUX OUT are bridged STEREO OUTPUTS]. It has [4] 1/4" input jacks, Trim, 2 band EQ's [fixed, hi/low], a MONO AUX SND, a STEREO AUX RCV, a MONO TAPE CUE [may serve as 2nd AUX SEND], and [4] VU Meters. It runs double speed [3-3/4 ips], and records UP TO 2 tracks simultaneously, but uses DOLBY noise reduction, making it NOT compatible with the subsequent, newer Portastudios. Still, the 144 broke new ground in recorder design, and was the first Portastudio, ever.

The 244 is the 2nd generation Portastudio device. It's much nicer, sleeker, & more refined design than the 144. The 244 has a 4 channel/2 buss mixer [L/R- Stereo], with [4] 1/4" Inputs, TRIM, 2 BAND PARAMETRIC EQ's [hi/low], STEREO AUX SEND, STEREO AUX RCVs, STEREO TAPE CUE, plus SND/RCV RCA patch points on each channel. It has 4 VU Meters, and 4 TAPE OUT jacks. [LINE OUT and AUX OUT are bridged STEREO OUTPUTS]. The 244 runs @ 3-3/4 ips, dbx, and can record up to 4 tracks simultaneously . The 244 is a great unit, and I love it, [now I have 3]. I've done a S***load of production on the 244, and have even used it as a PA mixer for live and live-recording apps. Yes, the 244 is comparable to the 246 in sound quality. A nice, used 244 is ~$150-200, and worth it. You could possibly get one for less, it varies.

The 246 is the 3rd generation Portastudio, and really much more "look and feel" of the 388, rather than the 244. The 246 does use the same 'form factor' as the 244, [similar case, shape, footprint, but slightly larger than the 244]. The 246 is a 6 INPUT/4 BUSS mixer, with [6] 1/4" inputs, TRIM, 2 band Parametric EQ [hi/low], [2] MONO AUX SENDS, STEREO TAPE CUE/[switchable to MONO], [4] PGM BUSS OUTs, [4] PGM BUSS INs, 6 VU Meters [1-4 & L/R], and [4] 1/4" {stereo TRS} effect-insert patch points on each channel. The 246 records at 1-7/8 ips AND 3-3/4 ips, w/dbx and can record UP TO 4 TRACKS simultaneously. The 246 does share many of the same 'features' of the 244, but [except for the case], the 246 definitely has the "look & feel" of the 388. The real obvious upgrade from the 244 to the 246 is the 246's 4 BUSS MIXER [with independent routing and track assign of 6 inputs to 4 BUSSES and/or 4 TAPE TRACKS], as opposed to the 244's "either" 2 BUSS [L-1 & 3, R-2 & 4] "or" 4-direct INs routed to the 4 TAPE TRACKS recording simultaneously. The 2 buss vs. 4 buss thing represents the major difference between the 244 and 246, in design and basic operation. The 246 is definitely more sophisticated unit than the 244.

OK, I do think a 244 would be a fine recorder to have, besides the 246 itself. I've had a 244 for 19 years, and have only recently purchased a 246. Sure, the 244's comparable to the 246. They both use the same 4 track head, etc, and have the same sound quality. A nice, low usage 244 is worth the money, but as with most older units, it may require 'minor maintenance', [i.e., belts & rubber parts replaced]. Mint & near mint 244's can be found out there, but as with anything else, it varies.

Really, I think the answer to the original question [what's a good, comparable unit to the 246] might be... the 388.

The 388 is a self contained Portastudio-like 8 track. It has an 8 INPUT/8 BUSS mixer, with [8] XLR MIC INs, [8] RCA LINE INs, TRIM, 3 BAND PARAMETRIC EQ, [2] MONO AUX SENDS, [2] MONO AUX RCVs, STEREO TAPE CUE, 8 PGM OUTs/8 PGM INs, 1/4" SEND patch points and 1/4" RCV patch points on each channel, [8] TAPE OUTS, with [2] STEREO OUTs [1-RCA & 1-XLR], [1] STEREO BUSS IN, and [10] VU Meters [1-8 & L/R]. The 388 runs 1/4" tape [7" reels] @ 7.5 ips, w/dbx, and recording UP TO 8 TRACKS simultaneously. Definitely the 388 has "look & feel" of the 246, and vice versa.

The 388 would be the next best Tascam device, that would be most comparable to the 246, and also an upgrade to it as well. Going to 7.5 ips and 8 tracks would be a big boost in production value over the 246, but still having almost identical features to the 246, [except more channels/tracks & bigger].

The 388 is a Portastudio-like device, but too heavy to actually merit the name "Portastudio". The 388 is the "Studio 8", and "Porta" is not part of the name. Sure, it's portable, as a self contained, 90 lb. unit. It helps if you have a friend to help lift it. I have [2] 388's, and just bought a 3rd.

In relative terms, you may pick up a 388 almost as cheaply as a 246, if you play your cards right.

Avg price on a used 246 may be ~$200-$250, and avg price on a used 388 is ~$400-$500. The 388 costs more, but is worth more. The 388 can still be found out there, used, some in mint condition, but it varies.

FYI, a brand new 424mkIII is ~$400, and even though it's a great unit, for a 6 channel/2 buss/4 track cassette, you'll definitely get more 'bang for your buck' on a used 388, for just about the same price.

As I said before, some used units may be mint/cherry/rarely-used, but as always, with used equipment, buyer beware.

On Portastudios or R/R recorders, belts & things can be replaced fairly easily, and a certain amount of head wear can be compensated for by proper adjustment. Manuals and parts can be purchased from Tascam. Stuff like this is "fun" for the DIY'er.

The 644, I'm not as familiar with. I don't own one, and can't quote features to you. Suffice to say, Tascam Portastudios such as the 644 & 464, etc, lost my interest, mainly because of the small LCD display. Also, I think the 644 came with an ugrade to a "meter bridge" [LED]. Also, I am not keen on the 424 std, with it's archaic LED design.

I DO like the LED design of the 424mkII/III, it's so much brighter than the LCD displays on other units. I have [2] 424mkII's, and I'd consider getting a 424mkIII. They are well designed units, and I like the 424mkII especially for it's 'flatter' design, and the top-mounted inputs & patch points.

The 414mkII's LED design I find tolerable, because with the 414mkII being a lower-end design, it's still bright & functional, but more of an 'earthier' design. [I don't own a 414mkII].

Overall, I love Tascam Portastudios, recorders, and mixers, and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

You really pinpointed a unique Portastudio, the 246. The 246 sets itself apart from just about any other Portastudio out there, with possible exception to the 644, 464 and the 388.

I can talk at length, about recording, music, Portastudios, the 388, the entire 30 series, usage and maintenance, you name it.

Anyway, good luck.

:)

Last edited:
Hiya Reel, I'm a Tascam nut collector too. Had a 424MKII, Sold it, need $$ and that's a desireable piece,Have a EX. to mint 246, a 234, 238 an ex.388 an ex.porta1, a 464. What I have found is the 234 is a notch above the 246. And the 246 is an outstanding 4 track. Your thoughts

Wow, Hot Rocks, Cool!

Another Tascam collector chimes in! Great!

I don't know quite how many other fanatical Tascam collectors there are out there [like me], but there must be a few. Thanx, Hot Rocks. Hot Rocks is a great, classic compilation albums by the Stones. Of course, you already knew that.

Yes, the 246 is really a superior Portastudio. The 6x4x2 classic style mixer is hard to beat. To find a clean, low usage 246 is a real score! I'm glad I got mine! I scored!

The 234 being superior to the 246? Well, I don't have enough real experience with either to confirm or deny that, but I've heard a couple other members say they think the 234 offers slightly higher "hifi" than the Portastudios. I wouldn't be able to confirm or deny that. I consider them comparable, in sound quality.

As you know, technically, the 234 is not a Portastudio, it's a Syncaset, but they're the same 4 track cassette format, use the same head and probably share much of the electronics as Portastudios. The 234 is an ingenious design that melds the electronics section of the 34B R/R to the cassette 4 track format. The 234 is definitely one of my favorite units. It can be used with or without a mixer. It's way cool.

I consider the 234 and 246 to be different [in features], yes, but basically comparable in sound quality.

I like both, quite a lot. They're both great units.

Thanks for replying Reel, How can any musician NOT be a fan of these fantastic units. especially now in this digital age nice decks can be had for practically give-away prices

I didn't know the 234 shared the electronic section of the 34b.That's somthing,considering what the 34b sold for new

Take a good look a the features of the 34B, front & back.

You know how, previously, I said the 246 and 388 have the same 'look & feel', well, I think the 234 and 34B have the same 'look & feel', too.

The 246 shares all it's design concepts and features with the 388, except the 388 is 1/4" reel, and the 246 is cassette.

Same thing. The 234 shares all of it's design features of the electronics section with the 34B, except the 34B is 1/4" reel and the 234 is cassette.

[The 234 actually has slightly more features than the 34B, like the memory/rtz/repeat function].

To me, the audio section of the 234 looks like the 34B, with it's input pots, output pots, pan pots, headphone/cue section, RCA inputs, 1/4" inputs with pads, etc,... These features just look the same to me, between the 234 and 34B. Check it out for yourself.

The 234-34b [and 246-388] are similar enough in design, that I assume they were probably designed in tandem, and released in the same vintage class, or year. [That's an assumption, and we all remember...]:eek:

Anyway, Hot Rocks & other readers, see the DRAGON CAVE > DAVEMANIA IS COMING post.

I've released a CD set that I want everyone to have, for free.

All Covers. All Home recording. Get yours here today. See the above post, and also see TASCAMBBS.COM > ANALOG > DAVEMANIA IS COMING memo. Thanx.

BTW, not only do I want everyone to hear my stuff, but I'm trying to start a tape swap group among tapeheads.

Interested people, pls email me at

d.archuleta@att.net

Thanx, & Tascam collectors RULE! :cool:

Last edited:
Back