Tascam 244 drive belts???

Pete K

Having recovered my pristine 244 from the basement after 15 years, I find the drive belts have turned to chewing gum... I can't find a replacement for bigger flat one (which is so bad I can't even figure out the original size!!)

Can anyone advise where I could get one?

Thanks,
Pete

Both belts are available from Tascam Parts.

Capstan drive belt, part # 5800275200 (wide flat one)
Control belt, part # 5800275300

TEAC UK Ltd - 5 Marlin house
The Croxley Centre
Watford - Herts - WD18 8TE - UK
Tel 01923 438880

Parts Department
TEAC America
7733 Telegraph Road
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: 323-727-4840

-Tim :)

Beck said:
Both belts are available from Tascam Parts.

Tim, now I have no excuse for not teaching my son how to record his sound... if only I could remember!!!

Thanks very much.

Pete K said:
Tim, now I have no excuse for not teaching my son how to record his sound... if only I could remember!!!

Thanks very much.

You're welcome,

I had the same problem a few years ago after storing my 246 in the garage while pursuing other interests. I replaced the two belts and the pinch roller and it now works like new. I originally bought it around 1987 -- it's nice to have it back up and running.

I also plan to teach the basics of recording to my two young sons with the Portastudio.

And I'm sure it will all come back to you like you never left it.

All the best to you and your son,

...hmmm...

Beck said:
... I replaced the two belts and the pinch roller and it now works like new.

..now you mention it, I guess the pinch roller is something else I should consider replacing... anything made of rubbery stuff is probably suspect after such a long time. I wasn't really looking foreward to taking the transport mechanics apart to get the new belt on (taking apart is one thing, putting back together correctly is another!!), so when I call the TEAC contact you provided for the new belts, I'll get a price on taking it in for the necessary surgery.

Thanks again,
pete

Rearranging the home office caused me to open the Anvil case that has held my 244 for many years. I haven't touched this wonderful toy in six years! Too many other interests have had higher priority. I popped in a tape recorded long ago and much to my dismay the transport moved at an excessively high speed. All I heard was gibberish. Throwing caution to the wind I decided that I would open it up and see what the problem was. The two main belts had turned to goo.
A search on Ask.com eventually brought me to this awesome BBS. I laughed out loud when I read this post. It is exactly the same issue as mine.
Thanks to your collective experience and willingness to share it I will be in touch with Tascam on Monday to order the appropriate parts. With any luck I will soon be able to archive some of my past doodlings on cd.
Thanks guys.
Poptothree

The main belt (capstan belt) is 12.7" total length, flat, about 4mm wide and about 0.5mm thick.

I can't remember the exact length of the head-load belt, but it's a square shaped belt. If time allows, I might come up with the size for this one.

;)

Back