So the famous sticky TASCAM 1/2" pinch roller...how bad does it get?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
My MSR-16 came last week. Snakes on the way then I'll hook it up to the new board. Anyway, I'm cleaning it and noticed the pinch roller was sticky to the touch. I know they are know for this, but how bad does it get before it needs replaced? No residue rubs off on my finger, but you can definitely feel the stickiness.

A this point, it's already shot.

You'll need to replaced the pinch roller. It should not be sticky to the touch. The rubber should be firm and dry, like,... the tire on your car! Sorry! :rolleyes: ;)

Uhm,... it's worth a try!

Don't be too surprised if the cleaner compound makes the sticky condition worse!

I think the pinchwheel is like a $25 item. Has anyone priced this part recently from Tascam? :rolleyes: ;)

A Reel Person said:
Don't be too surprised if the cleaner compound makes the sticky condition worse!

I think the pinchwheel is like a $25 item. Has anyone priced this part recently from Tascam? :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah! Thats' how much I payed 5 years ago for my pinch roller for my TSR-8. That was the last item I bought for my analog gear. Thankfully, I don't need one for my 2488! :D :cool:

1/2" Tascam pinch roller

I think it's in the $35-40 range. Tascam has dwindling supplies. If they're out (they shouldn't), try Terry's rubber rollers (www.terrysrubberrollers.com). Send your old sticky roller to him and he'll send you back a new firm one that works.

Tascam is already out of 1" pinch rollers, 1/4" and 1/2" aren't far behind.

1/2" pinch-roller for my TSR-8 last year for $29.00. My old one was fine, but I thought what the heck.

It won't hurt to have a new one around even if you do recover the old one -- sounds pretty bad though, unless its just covered with residue from sticky tape.

Tascam Part #5800291500

parts@tascam.com
(323) 727-4840

-Tim :)

Last edited:
Hmm. Could be all that incense residue that was on it too. :( At least it smelled nice. I need to get some rubber cleaner anyway, so now's the time. E-mailed TASCAM parts as well in case I still need a new roller. Thanks for the help!

Seeker of Rock said:
Figured I needed some of those foam swab thingies from CAIG while I was at it :)
Good plan. ;)

I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago and though my pinch roller was done-for but after using the Caig stuff, my roller once again worked as it should and regained it's dryness and grip.

Cheers! :)

I don't think it is the pinch roller afterall

Forgive my growing pains as I just got my first reel machine. The pinch roller actually moves up and down ever so slightly on an arm, correct? and is just right of the head assembly area? If so, that is fine...it is the larger rubber-coated wheel after that that seems a little sticky. Whatever it is anyway, I'm sure it's not supposed to be sticky so got some of that CAIG stuff on order. Also taking it to Palm Beach tomorrow to have it professionally gone through before I mess with it, so I'm sure they'll tell me what it is in need of.

That's the tach roller. The servos and counters get their tach pulse off that roller. It should not be sticky. ;)

It definitely is. The MSR is in good hands all the way up in West Palm Beach getting a good going over. They are going to call me and let me know what they find. Good news is, pinch roller IS like a car tire :) Bad news may be, tach roller is not. :(

tascam analog 4 track

can someone tell me the answer to this question and not make fun of me?? i have a tascam 4 track and my band records our practices with it we then post some of the stuff on our pure volume site so my friends back home can hear what we are writing . at this point i record off the 4 track to an external cd burner that i hook to with rca jacks but can i connect directly to my computer so i dont have to waste a cd? what would i use in place of rca jacks? what program would the music from my 4 track go onto on the pc?

confused little fella

Back