Sequencers/DAWs that will MIDI sync with Tascam 688 MidiStudio playback

headwerkn

Hi all,

After spending much of the past few days, ahem, exploring the subject (read: mostly getting really frustrated simply trying to get an EXS24 drum sequence in Logic 9), I thought it might be helpful to do a thread on syncing the Tascam 688 to other sequencers and DAWs, specifically in regards to what programs and hardware sequencers do actually work slaving to MIDI clock sync... and what setup/settings are required to make it all actually work.

Theory behind this is that there seem to be a number of folks buying the 688 and 644, and unfortunately a lot of less than useful information given when those people ask how to get tape synchronisation happening with a DAW, etc.

If you're a 688/644 owner, please feel free to add in your own successes and failures. I'll kick things off.

A few useful factoids to consider that seem to cause confusion.

Firstly, the 688 (and 644) can stripe to tape, and thus output on playback, MIDI Beat Clock - not MTC and not SMPTE. This is an important distinction to understand right from the off. MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code (MTC) are two different things, and while they can (in the 688's case anyway, thanks to SPP or Song Position Pointer) achieve much the same effect, you'll go nowhere quickly trying to set up your sequencer to chase MTC or SMTPE. Using either of these requires an external time code controller unit (namely the Tascam MTS-1000 Midiizer).

(As a general rule, older gear, synths and hardware sequencers and drum machines - MPCs in particular - deal in MIDI Clock. Newer gear and computer DAWs deal in MTC.)

Secondly, the 688/644 has to be the master time source - it can't slave to another DAW/sequencer on its own. That means that whatever sequencer(s) you want to have play along with the Midistudio have to support sync (or slave) to external MIDI Clock.

(Incidentally the 688/644 can slave to another system, but again, you'll need the MTS-1000 Midiizer to take control of the Tascam's physical transport).

Lastly, the 688/644's internal synchronisation circuitry doesn't actually generate the MIDI Beat Clock itself - it has to come from an external sequencer. What the Tascam actually does is take the Beat Clock from the MIDI IN port, convert it to FSK (Frequency Shift Key) tones, then records that onto track 8 of your cassette. When played back, the tones are converted back to MIDI Beat Clock - in sync with the tape transport speed and of course anything recorded on the other 7 tracks - and pumped out the MIDI OUT port for any sequencer to chase and play back with in time. This process is described on page 32 of the 688's manual (and I might say, a fair bit better than the manual usually explains things) and basically goes like this:

1. Setup your song's tempo and length in the sequencer/DAW you want to have slave to the 688/644.

2. Ensure it is outputting MIDI Clock, and that Clock it output to the 688/644's MIDI IN port.

3. Set the SYNC switch on the 688/644 to MIDI. Manual says a green light will turn on, but on my unit it's red.

4. Press SAVE/LOAD so that "SAVE" displays on the LCD.

5. Arm Track 8 to record.

6. Press RECORD+PLAY on the 688/644, then after a bit of preroll, hit playback on your sequencer. The sync tone will now record; you'll see the number of bars count on the LCD screen.

7. When the sequence is finished, stop the sequencer (if it doesn't stop itself) then stop the Tascam a few seconds latter. This ensures the Start and Stop SPP commands get recorded properly.

8. To have the sequencer/DAW follow playback on the 688/644, disarm Track 8, and set LOAD/PLAY to "Load". Ensure your sequencer is receiving MIDI IN from the 688/644's MIDI OUT and that port is being read for MIDI Clock (and SPP if it has the option).

9. Ensure the sequencer's transport/sync is set to External. This usually involves the transport being taken "online".

10. Rewind and playback the tape on the 688/644... once the sync code starts, the sequencer should follow suit within a second or two.

Righto - my experience with various sequencers thus far.

Logic 9 - Doesn't work.
Will merrily output MIDI Clock but isn't interested in syncing back to it. Apparently the last version to support this was v7.2. I have the discs but someone borrowed my XSKey years back and never returned it.

ProTools v9, v6.4 - Doesn't work.
Pretty much the same issue, though I didn't manage to get it to output Clock either. Looking back I probably had a connection screw up - you are supposed to output Clock, just not sync back to it.

Reaper v4.2 - Works!
Right click on the timecode readout (bottom of main arrange window) > External Timecode Synchronization and select Synchronization Enable, then Synchronization Settings... Click Enable Synchronization to Timecode and Use Input "SPP: All Inputs" (or select the hardware input your 688/644's MIDI OUT is connected to). You'll see a chain icon on the Play button and the timecode display will say [Stopped] and SPP Sync. Press the Play button so it goes online (button goes green, display shows [Waiting for TC]. Begin playback on the 688/644 and Reaper will start playing within 1-2 bars. It actually works really well, follows the time code at any point and even adjusts tempo if you slow down the 688/644's Pitch, though I did get rather crackly sounds when doing this.

As for outputting MIDI Clock from Reaper to get sync code recorded on the 688/644's tape... well, I never actually did that yet - I had code striped already from my attempts with Logic.

I believe however this is done under REAPER Preferences > MIDI Devices > MIDI outputs to make available - right click the MIDI OUT port connected to your Tascam and select Send clock/SPP to output. I will verify this at some point in the near future.

Genome MIDI Sequencer - iPad/iOS - Works!
As great as it was getting REAPER to work, I find Logic a far more useful sequencing tool owed mostly to its selection of great sounding virtual instruments... and the fact I have several custom drumkits loaded into EXS24 already. So I was hopeful of a workaround - and I found one. Genome is a reasonably priced (AU$15) MIDI-only sequencer for iOS that can output MIDI both via Virtual MIDI ports within OMAC-compatible apps (there's about a dozen thus far, hopefully will become as much of a standard as AudioCopy has, and as AudioBus will become), Network MIDI and to physical MIDI outputs via dedicated MIDI I/O accessories or CoreMIDI compatible USB MIDI adapters and the Camera Connection Kit. Genome also conveniently supports both MIDI Clock output AND - hooray! - will slave to it too.

Using the CCK and a cheap Chinese 1x MIDI I/O USB adapter I got off eBay for the grand sum of $4 incl. shipping (makes paying $100 for an iRig MIDI et. al. seem rather insane, no? :-D ), I connected my 688's MIDI out to the iPad's MIDI IN, and its MIDI OUT to an input on my iMac's USB- MIDI interface. Within Genome, under Settings > MIDI > MIDI Outputs I had USB MIDI Interface selected and under Settings > Sync, External Clock was selected.

I set up a bunch of sequence clips (Genome is more a live improv sequencer a la Ableton Live, rather than your typical Cubase/Logic style arrangement player), each outputting on on a different MIDI channel (Genome supports up to 16 channels). Playback of timecode on the 688 immediately had Genome following along - great success!

On the Logic side of things, I set up a corresponding bunch of virtual synths/samplers and set each to a corresponding MIDI channel, however due to the way Logic seems to Omni-ise MIDI input across any active virtual instruments, all MIDI notes were going to all instruments. Quick jump into the Environment to Channel Split in the MIDI input to each instrument correctly and hallelujah, it works!

photo.JPG

Bit of a faffaround, but I can now have EXS24 drums playing along with my 688 without actually having to record them onto tape.

Anyone else able to confirm other sequencers and DAWs (past or present) that work with the 688?

Cheers, Ben.

Tascam 688 / TR 606

Hello

Great thread!

Do you have an idea how i can synchronize a Roland TR 606 with the Tascam 688?

The Roland TR 606 has a DIN Sync In and Output. What would be the simplest Box I need?
The Doepfer MSY 2 would not work because it hasn't got the conversion from Sync to Midi. It has only got the other way. As far as I understood I will need both way's to get it work with the Tsacam 688.

Or is a simple converting box insufficient, and I would need a bigger machine as the Roland SBX 80, wich is hard to find?

If this is the case, could I use my PC-System Cubase and Esi Juli@ as the "bigger machine" and just slave with this the combination Doepfer MSY 2 and Roland Tr 606?
When I send information to the Tascam 688 it will be Cubase (who has attached Doepfer MSY 2 and Roland Tr 606 as slave), and when finally the Tascam 688 plays, it will command Cubase and Cubase will command the Doepfer MSY 2 and Roland Tr 606. Would there be latency?

What is your opinion?

Thanks and greez from Switzerland

Some kind of converter would be required as DIN Sync is 24 pulses per quarter note, whereas MIDI beat clock is 96 pulses per quarter note.

I've never done anything with Sync24 aka. Roland's DIN Sync format so can't suggest anything first hand, but a mate with a lot of tasty older gear uses a Mungo Sync Z to keep those units synchronised with his master MIDI Clock source. I can't post links yet due to being new, but a quick Google search will reveal their page. I believe the prices are around the $200-$250 mark.

I would hazard a guess this unit - or your Doepfer or any other MIDI~Sync24 - would convert the 688's MIDI clock output into something your TR606 could follow. Whether or not you need the '606 to feed the 688 the initial time code though would depend on your setup. You could theoretically generate your tape code from Cubase (or another DAW or hardware unit that outputs straight MIDI Beat Clock) then build up your 606 sequences once the unit is following the 688's playback.

Let us know how you get along!

Cheers, Ben.

Hello. I am new to midi. I am trying to sync my Roland r8 and/or my esq1 to my tascam 688. I have the esq1 on "sync=internal". when i record track 8 i get a really jacked up (like a phaser) version of my sequence. The scene number starts counting. The red midi light starts blinking. When I play it back it sounds like my 300 baud modem I had when I was a kid. Am I doing it right?

Also, does anyone have any experience syncing with the Roland r8? Thanks.

Last edited:
Btw, I fixed this problem. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Can anyone explain to me why I would need a tascam midiizer? I have a chance to buy one but I think it's mostly for connecting older non-midi technology. Not sure I need to sync a VCR to my 688 anytime soon. Or a reel to reel. Am I right? Or is there more to it?

Solved my problems: The TR 606 is connected to Innerclock Systems SYNC SHIFT and then I record a Midi Sync track on the Tascam 688. For playback I go first to the Computer in Audio Mulch (great DAW for syncing and modular audio connections) and then back to SYNC SHIFT connected with TR 606. Like this the TR 606 starts also in the middle of a track, without Audio Mulch it starts only at the beginning. With Audio Mulch you can also add Loops synced direct with the Tascam 688 and TR 606. Really Great!

I tested Reaper, but it doesn't follow with the Midi Clock constantly, it ''jumpes''. I have Windows XP and a Pentium 4, could this System be to slow for Reaper? (I rarely use Plugins)

The 644,688,238,TSR-8,MSR-16,and MSR24 will all work with the MTS-1000 or the ATS-500 half rack space syncronizer.It stripes SMPTE to a track,so you lose one track.Any of these units can be either master or slave if you have the correct serial cables-and all can be "code only" masters feeding SMPTE to the DAW.The MTS-1000 and ATS-500 can control the older parallel I/O multitracks if you have the IF-1000 or IF-500 respectively.The MTS-1000 is cool because you can use it as a remote for transport functions, and also for arming tracks to record on any of the above listed Tascam models.

Back