recording 4 tracks on a tascam 488

rib

I am using a tascam 488 (not the MKII) so i only have two gain knobs on the first two channels, and i want to record 4 tracks at once, will the fact that i don't have the GIAN knobs on channel 3, make that big of a difference?

track 1 and 2 through CHANNEL 1: drums
track 3 through CHANNEL 2: kick drum
track 4 through CHANNEL 3: Guitar

then i overdub Bass and vocals w/ back up vocals.....

:cool: Yo Ribs & no BBQ:

You can try a couple of things if you need more "oomph." You can run the other two tracks through an RNC compressor and adjust the fader accordingly. Coincidently, the RNC has two ins/outs.

Or you can run the tracks through a mic pre and adjust input gain accordingly until you get the "depth" punch you want.

Green Hornet :D

Doesn't sound like he has an outboard mic pre.

Could be a bit of a problem here then. I've never used a 488 and haven't really looked into them that much, but if you only have 2 gain/trim knobs, then you can only use two mics at once. The rest would be line ins...ala for the use of exteral preamps and such.

:D Nay, nay Yo Outlying Outlaws of the West:

There are recording devices that only have two gain/uploud knobs; however, you can still patch into other tracks and use the fader as input.

Depends on whether or not you're doing a vocal/other what you want to do.

Fader input plus instrument volume input can do the job if you understand the process or are willing to experiment for a few hundred hours.

Seems like everyone today wants to do CD Studio Quality stuff in 20 minutes.

Ain't going to happen brotha!

Green Hornet :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Back