Portastudio 414 MKII > Digital Interface (under $400) > Pro Tools

kenny_k

Hi,

I need help picking a 4-track digital interface for transferring 4-track tapes from a Tascam Portastudio to a new retina Macbook.

I record on a Tascam Portastudio 414 MKII 4-track and up until recently, I have been digitizing my recordings one track at a time in Pro Tools using a stereo RCA -> 1/8in cable and the headphone jack on my Macbook (mid-2010 so the headphone jack does input as well). I've had to line up each track in Pro Tools manually and do some light elastic audio to get it synced but I didn't know of any other way.

Now I have a new Macbook w/ no audio input capabilities through the headphone jack and only USB 3 and Thunderbolt. I found this thread that explains how to track the Tascam's 4 tracks to a digital interface simultaneously and I tried it on my friend's board and it seems to work (https://homerecording.com/bbs/user-...-mixing-cubase-sx-how-do-you-digitize-285746/)

But I can't spend $1000 on a 16-track DAW interface like his (not to mention that it sounded stale) so I was wondering what a good option would be for a 4 track digital interface that would help me get to Thunderbolt or USB with minimal impact to the tape sound would be. Looking for something under or around $400 that has 4 tracks (could be more but not necessary), and can work with Pro Tools 10, and will keep my tape recordings sounding as close to the original as possible.

I'm willing to go with either a new system or an older one. Anything really that will work.

i would look in to picking up a tascam interface, you get a cheap one on craigslist for under 200 usd.
this way you can just plug the 4 track in to the tascam interface and burn your tracks digital once and done.
not sure pro tools will accept the tascam (dont think it will)
so you can use audacity for this use only.

i use sonar but thats how i back up everything for my clients.
i get requests quite often because im one of the only peeps in my area that has 4 trk cass, 8trk, cass, 2 trk reel, 8 trk reel, and so on.
i do a lot of back ups for clients. i just give them the raw tracks. the y usually import in to pro tools or the equiv.

you need to back up all at one time because if you dont, they'll never line up because of motor flux.
never the same speed.

I'm in no way an expert on digital audio interfaces.

I was looking around the other day:

Tascam 4x4, 4-in/4-out, about $250

Tascam US-1800, 16-in*/4-out, about $280

*one caveat about the US1800 is there's 14 analog inputs and the other 2 inpus are an S/Pdif digital-stereo input, but given that it's indeed 16 inputs! You have to read the specs carefully.*

Both interfaces look sleek & functional & come bundled with DAW software.

:spank::eek:;)

Back