Audio and Video Sync Question

So-Na-Ta

As a newbie, I have a naive question: I'm trying to use my Tascam DR-07MKII and Canon HG10 camcorder for capturing the audio and video. Is there any way that I can simply plug something between Tascam to the camcorder to have the result without having to produce them independently and sync them together afterwards?

Line out from Tascam to line-in on Canon?

I don't know. Does the manual for the Canon give clues? Does the Canon have a line-in option?

For audio to sync to video it needs to be 48k sample rate.

Record at 24bit/48 or 16bit/48k.

(Final file will need to be 16bit/48k for video)

Then you can transfer both to your computer and drop the audio right into a video editor and it will sync.

I'm afraid with the gear you have, drifting sync is going to be an issue. Your Tascam and your camcorder will be syncing to different references and the minor differences in speed will cause them to gradually drift apart. Over short takes you should be able to get away with it but on longer scenes the difference in speed will likely be noticeable.

(FYI, on professional gear, this sync is handled using time code recorded both on the camera and with the audio...in the editing process you can lock the time codes together to maintain sync.)

By the way, the easiest way to find sync in the first place is to build or buy a clapper board like you see in all the movies. It's an easy matter to find both the frame where the board hits and find the transient of the "clack" on the audio track. Don't forget the Scene and take numbers being read out--it seems simple but in the edit suite it will save a lot of syncing up the wrong takes!

Thank you all for your responses. I already know how to sync in post-processing and without drifting, too. The consistency that Tim was describing does the trick regarding the drifting issue. My question, however, was whether there's a simple cable plug hook up between the camcorder and the recorder so that there's no need to sync the audio and the video afterwards. My guess is no. As gecko suggested I should look up the camcorder manual except I don't have one. Probably could locate it online...

Your guess about the cable (no) is correct.

Consumer grade cameras treat sound as an after-thought.
Unless you have a higher-end camera with better sound capabilities,
your best bet is to record the sound separately and replace it
in your computer editing.

Thanks, Tim, for the confirmation. Let me ask you (and others) this, then: my Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate, which I use for video editing, can only import up to 16bit WAV files to sync with the video. Do you know of which video/audio editing software with which I could import 24bit WAV files to sync with my videos -- say, under $100? And: does it make much of a difference in sound quality between 16bit and 24bit to upgrade the software?

Back