2488 Neo Froze

KEVIN1600

I've had my Neo for 11 months with no problems now the other day it froze up upon startup. Called tascam they told me how to initialize the drive but it still does not work. The tech told me to send it to Tascam in California. Has anyone had this happen? Do you know how long it might take?

I sent it back already. The green lights for channel 1 lit up but they would't go to another channel and none of the other buttons worked. I was really happy with this thing up until now.

Teac called Friday and said they'll fix it for $ 95 . Ship it back Monday!

Can't complain about that service, I wish I lived in a country with Tascam support, we only have TEAC support (and it's still 2000 miles away from me) and they fix DVD players and plastic stereos.

Cheers
Alan.

I remember having a Teac 3440 that wouldn't rewind that I spent years trying to get fixed around here before I finally sold it on e-bay so I feel for you.

mine would start up but the green lights were froze on channel one and no other buttons would work. I had to send it back to Tascam.They had to resolder the wire harness from the top panel to the main board.

Last night I took this thing out to record our band and it kept freezing up all night! It was a nightmare. I could't shut down or save anything. It would go about 10 minutes and then stop.I was trying to record on all 8 tracks at once. Today at home I ran it recording on all 8 tracks for 45 minutes and saved a 2863 mb file. But i didn't have any "real inputs except my drum machine.Something in the bar was making this act up(power,lights,vibration,inputs). Has anyone else known these things to be so touchy? I was using 2- condensers 2 -SM 57's 3- direct from yamaha mixer and 1- direct from the bass.

I don't own a 2488 but:

I have heard of people having problems with computers on stage and excessive vibration, you may need to isolate the 2488 form vibration with a thick soft foam sheet, or isolation devices like DJ's use under turntables at loud gigs.

Crap porwer will also cause probelms when out live, whenerver I do live recordings I always use a small UPS on the recorder power.

Cheers
Alan

I think you're right we can get loud and there were funny sounds coming through the house stereo at times. It would go for like 10 minutes and lock up. I'm going to try to record shorter tracks at practice where I don't have to play the gig and record at the same time. By the way you've got a nice studio . I used to have a Teac 3340 for many years.

By the way you've got a nice studio . I used to have a Teac 3340 for many years.

Thanks for That, yes the studio all started many years ago with the 3340, made many good sounding albums with it, in those days (showing my age) having a 4 track reel was a big deal.

Cheers
Alan.

I recorded some songs at practice and the 2488 Neo worked great. I took the tracks home and overdubbed and mastered and burned them to CD.Everything worked great !

Back