Dongle Crack for SX 2

In your esteemed opinion, do you think that Hector is;

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
HangDawg said:
So, you saying there are different levels of theft(other than monetary)? Sort of a "Theft Scale" if you will. And someone has placed software lower on the theft scale than cars. So then, people who use pirated software are lesserthiefs. Hmmmmm interesting.

Is that so far of a stretch? Don't tell me you are going to equate someone stealing a candy bar from a corner store with robbing a bank or stealing a car?

Even the law makes such distinctions...or a "theft scale" as you so charmingly put it. I'm sure you're aware that there are different punishments for shop lifters and car thieves...yes?

So pretending no such scale exists is BS.

I said other than monetary. There are certain people that seem to think it's ok to steal software but not other things. I just can't understand that.

And the only reason I am even bitching about it is because I write software. I have an application that I sell. It's a measly $49 compared to a handful(4 or 5) similar products that are 10x's the price and do you know, these fuckin pirate groups are still hacking it. So what's the reason? I'm not a big faceless corporation. $49 is certainly not unreasonable. Fuckin dickheads just do it cause they can. Piss on all of you losers.

Blue Bear Sound said:
What a moronic thing say............ Theft is theft..........
:rolleyes:

Like I said...even the law makes the distinction between different kinds of theft. If you think it's moronic...take it up with your law makers.

Again...if you think theft is theft...then which would you rather have stolen from you...$1 or $100,000?

My guess is that you would probably find the theft of $100,000 a lot more worrysome.

If you would then you don't believe "theft is theft" either. It's really that simple.

HangDawg said:
I said other than monetary. There are certain people that seem to think it's ok to steal software but not other things. I just can't understand that.

And the only reason I am even bitching about it is because I write software. I have an application that I sell. It's a measly $49 compared to a handful(4 or 5) similar products that are 10x's the price and do you know, these fuckin pirate groups are still hacking it. So what's the reason? I'm not a big faceless corporation. $49 is certainly not unreasonable. Fuckin dickheads just do it cause they can. Piss on all of you losers.

I'm curious...what kind of software do you write.

Believe me...as a recording artist, I understand...but I also understand that illegal copies can also turn into sales if people like what I do. I have had friends burn copies of music for me that I went out and bought because I liked it...if I didn't like it I either tossed it or passed it on to a friend who I thought might be interested in checking it out, who would also either buy it or dump it.

It happens...sometimes it translates into sales...sometimes it doesn't. There's not much that can be done about it, and bitching about it sure isn't going to help.

I mean...how do you know some of the cracked versions of your software hasn't resulted in someone buying it after they tried it...or that a friend of the person with the cracked software saw it in action and decided that they wanted to buy it rather than own a cracked copy. I know I have bought software based on how a friends cracked version performed rather than having them burn me a copy. Surely I'm not the only person in the entire world to have done so...If I am, someone please call Guiness or Ripley's for me.

Enron_Hubbard said:
Like I said...even the law makes the distinction between different kinds of theft. If you think it's moronic...take it up with your law makers.

Yes the law makes distinctions, but either way they all have punishments. Steal a chocolate bar and you can still be charged with theft. Steal a car and your charged and sent to prison....See a pattern there ?

My guess is that you would probably find the theft of $100,000 a lot more worrysome

The amount of cracked versions of Cubase out there could easily add up to $100 000.

Enron_Hubbard said:
I'm curious...what kind of software do you write.

Trigger based auditing system for Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000 and Centura SQLBase that allows you to automatically identify changes made to data in a database.

vestast said:
Yes the law makes distinctions, but either way they all have punishments. Steal a chocolate bar and you can still be charged with theft. Steal a car and your charged and sent to prison....See a pattern there ?

Steal a candy bar and chances are you will not be charged, and if you are you may get a fine.

Steal a car and you WILL go to jail and the cops may even pull their guns when they bust you.

See the pattern there?

There are greater and lesser degrees of theft...which was the point of discussion raised by Hang Dawg...a "theft scale" I believe the phrase he used.

To say theft is theft is like saying a burn is a burn. Personally I would rather have a first degree burn than a third degree burn. You may feel differently...that's your choice.

The amount of cracked versions of Cubase out there could easily add up to $100 000.

Gosh...I'm sure they probably only made $20 last year because of it too. :rolleyes:

And like I said earlier...how many people bought a legal version based on the performance of a cracked version they were using...we have had one person so far on this forum that said he did...I doubt he's the only one in the world who has done so.

So some of these cracks do turn into sales. Now how many car thefts do you think result in said thief going out and buying the same car legally...probably too many I would imagine.

So not only is comparing car theft to software piracy silly, there are clearly different kinds of theft each with it's own kind of punishment.

Yes...it's ALL theft...but then all mamals are all mamals too...try mating a cow and a monkey and see what happens. :rolleyes:

Enron - Beleive it or not I understand what your saying. I just don't agree with you, that's all. :)

At least the discussion can be had without calling each other assholes. :)

vestast said:
Enron - Beleive it or not I understand what your saying. I just don't agree with you, that's all. :)

At least the discussion can be had without calling each other assholes. :)

Yeah...there's no need for that kind of stuff. :)

Enron_Hubbard said:

Steal a candy bar and chances are you will not be charged, and if you are you may get a fine.

Steal a car and you WILL go to jail and the cops may even pull their guns when they bust you.

See the pattern there?

Okay then. What punishment do you think will be applicable for people who steal software? I mean after all, it is a degree of theft right? You aren't advocating that people with crack software should get away with it, otherwise you wouldn't have taken the argument this far.

Also, I don't know about stealing candy, but times have changed for just about everything else. Over the past thirty years, retailers have taken shoplifting seriously. Full charges are pressed for anyone who walks into any business establishment and steals, and full charges do indeed include jail time along with a permanent ban from the store. Why have the penalties increased? Because businesses got wind of just how much potential profit was walking out the door, and the amount far outweighed the expenditure for theft prevention.

So tell me, someone walks into a Guitar Center or other retail establishment on a slow day and tries to leave with recording software in his pants, but gets caught by security. You bet yer ass he will be arrested and thrown in jail. Explain to me how someone trying to get an illegal copy of the same software to work is different? It sure as hell isn't stealing candy.

Cyrokk said:
Okay then. What punishment do you think will be applicable for people who steal software? I mean after all, it is a degree of theft right? You aren't advocating that people with crack software should get away with it, otherwise you wouldn't have taken the argument this far.

Also, I don't know about stealing candy, but times have changed for just about everything else. Over the past thirty years, retailers have taken shoplifting seriously. Full charges are pressed for anyone who walks into any business establishment and steals, and full charges do indeed include jail time along with a permanent ban from the store. Why have the penalties increased? Because businesses got wind of just how much potential profit was walking out the door, and the amount far outweighed the expenditure for theft prevention.

So tell me, someone walks into a Guitar Center or other retail establishment on a slow day and tries to leave with recording software in his pants, but gets caught by security. You bet yer ass he will be arrested and thrown in jail. Explain to me how someone trying to get an illegal copy of the same software to work is different? It sure as hell isn't stealing candy.

You pose no new points here...go back and re-read the posts if you are really looking for answers to your questions.

Regarding the differences between stealing from a retail store and obtaining a cracked copy of a previously purchased software program...I think they are pretty obvious...and again...most of those differences are covered in previous posts.

Finally...I can walk into a Guitar Center, rip off a copy of Cubase, get arrested (maybe) and I will most likely spend no more than the afternoon in jail. I know this because I have known people who got busted for shop lifting and while the store pressed charges, they spent no real time in jail (unless you count the squad car as jail). So I have no idea where you're getting this "crackdown on theft" routine. Of course this point you bring up has little to do with the conversation at hand...which was...

A forumite didn't believe that there is a "theft scale" (his term) and that all theft was just theft.

My point was, quite simply, that there is such a scale and law enforcement officials use it every day...that's why you don't see people going to prison for stealing a candy bar, or getting a $100 fine for stealing a car.

When I was a teenager, I got busted for shoplifting, and yes you are right in that all I did was serve jail time. The company decided not to press charges and my parents had to pick me up from the jail cell.

However, a few years later I got a job at a retail clothing store. It was at this time that retailers began to take theft a serious issue. This store, a major retail chain, and I know for a fact many other retail chains, began to up the punishment to pressing full charges on the shoplifter. Admittingly, I do not know what "full charges" means and yeah, it's not of the same scale as car theft. But it's not just a slap on the wrist either.

I re-read your posts, and ok, I see that you equate stealing software to stealing a candy bar. But a candy bar costs less than a dollar (at least where I live), making the profit margin insignificant, so it wouldnt surprise me that one would be at most arrested, spend a few hours in a cell and banned from the store.

But software is obviously much more costly. And if retail clothing stores keep a eye peeled for theft and take the law to the fullest extent, then I'm positive that any business with a greater profit margin would do at least the same.

And even if the maximum punishment is menial for theft in any circumstance, then I still see no justification whatsoever of stealing anything.

Before anyone points out that since I stole something that this post is hypocritical, this was when I was a teenager doing a stupid thing because of peer pressure almost 20 years ago. I did my time and I realize was I did was completely wrong.

The laws where I'm at are to the effect of .... theft of anything over the value of $150.00 is a Felony, punishable by jail time and/or fines, now whether or not the so called victim decides to prosecute is another story.
Most large companies elect not to prosecute as this creates additional expense for the company.
The way I see it theft of software (even for so called evaluation) of the same value or more, should be punishable just the same. Again, that is if the developer elects to prosecute. Which they should!

Cyrokk said:
When I was a teenager, I got busted for shoplifting, and yes you are right in that all I did was serve jail time. The company decided not to press charges and my parents had to pick me up from the jail cell.

However, a few years later I got a job at a retail clothing store. It was at this time that retailers began to take theft a serious issue. This store, a major retail chain, and I know for a fact many other retail chains, began to up the punishment to pressing full charges on the shoplifter. Admittingly, I do not know what "full charges" means and yeah, it's not of the same scale as car theft. But it's not just a slap on the wrist either.

I re-read your posts, and ok, I see that you equate stealing software to stealing a candy bar. But a candy bar costs less than a dollar (at least where I live), making the profit margin insignificant, so it wouldnt surprise me that one would be at most arrested, spend a few hours in a cell and banned from the store.

But software is obviously much more costly. And if retail clothing stores keep a eye peeled for theft and take the law to the fullest extent, then I'm positive that any business with a greater profit margin would do at least the same.

And even if the maximum punishment is menial for theft in any circumstance, then I still see no justification whatsoever of stealing anything.

Before anyone points out that since I stole something that this post is hypocritical, this was when I was a teenager doing a stupid thing because of peer pressure almost 20 years ago. I did my time and I realize was I did was completely wrong.

You reminded me of a story from when my brother was working as an "undercover" floor walker at a major department store up here. One day he caught someone stealing a $12 pair of winter gloves. He followed the guy until he got to the door and then tried to stop him. This guy freaked and put up a big fight, tried to throw my bro down a flight of stairs, and finally my brother (6 ' 4" 230lbs) decided he had enough and put the guy through the window. Wish I coulda seen it.

Anyway when the cops got there they found out why he put up such a big fight. Turns out he was wearing one of those fanny packs and he had a bunch of hash ready to sell (I mighta known the guy :eek: ). So he ends up going to Jail for possession because he didn't feel like paying $12 for a pair of gloves.....

Back to software. Steal one app, not a big deal maybe. Add it together with all the other apps that you've stolen and it's a huge deal. I worked in software licensing in town here and while I was there we were being sued because we had distributed more software then we were licensed for (it wasn't my account :) ). They took that shit seriously. We get audited by Microsoft on a regular basis at my new job....

Id be happy to pay for cubase SX, if it wasn't so god damned expensive. Whilst i agree that cracking a program like this is obviously stealing, at the same time its not...Its not like you're taking something that could have been sold to anyone else, like if you say stole a car. Nothing's been diminished by you using it for free.

I did skip past a page, sorry if im repeating.

Actually, you bring up a point that I believe is the crux of the whole matter: software thieves rationalize what they are doing by telling themselves that their is no victim. They figure that becuase they haven't stolen anything physical, no one is out anything. It's the same argument mp3 downloaders use.

Yawn.

A
www.aaroncheney.com

Well, then, do you have no MP3's downloaded? Almost every person who owns a computer downloads em.

Who is down when someone is illigally using software?

I have downloaded lots of mp3's that are offered for free. I have never downloaded an illegal mp3. Even if I had, it would not justify it for me or anyone else. Just becuase a lot of people do something does not make it moral or legal.

THe people who are "out" are, first and foremost, the person or company that worked to develop the software and deserves to be compensated for their product by those who opt to use it. Secondarily, you and I are. Where do you think the individuals/ componies get the money to pay for thier anti-pirating measures, whatever they may be? You guessed it: from legal owners.

A
www.aaroncheney.com

Well, all i know is i cant afford that amount of money for some cds, and i probably never will be able too. Im only 18 currently though. If and when i can afford it, i'll be happy to pay. For now £600 for something i can download, im afraid its too easy to download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back