CPU Usage Meter in SE3

TelePaul

J to the R O C
I'm using SE3 with celeron 2.8 Ghz and 512 MB of ram. When the CPU Usage metre hits half, I get some popping noises...mainly when I run amp simulator pluug ins and Midi with inserts.

This sound like a ram or processing power issue? I was kinda under the impression thatd I'd be okay so long as the metre didnt peak.

Thanks. tele.

Reactions: NL5
512 is the minimum you should be using so doubling that is a good idea. If you don't have 2 hard drives yet you need to get another and dedicate it to just recording. I'm guessing you have the program running off the same drive you are recording to and the pops are being caused by interrupts from your programming.

NYMorningstar said:
512 is the minimum you should be using so doubling that is a good idea. If you don't have 2 hard drives yet you need to get another and dedicate it to just recording. I'm guessing you have the program running off the same drive you are recording to and the pops are being caused by interrupts from your programming.

Cool ill go duocore when I upgrade. Thanks NY.

Sorry if you already know this but two hard drives and duocore are not the same. You can pick up another hard drive for around $100 and you'll notice a huge difference. Duocore is 2 processors.

NYMorningstar said:
Sorry if you already know this but two hard drives and duocore are not the same. You can pick up another hard drive for around $100 and you'll notice a huge difference. Duocore is 2 processors.

but itll help right? Im pretty against DIY when it comes to computers...so I'd be reluctant to get another HD. I think the ram is an issue too.

TelePaul said:
but itll help right? Im pretty against DIY when it comes to computers...so I'd be reluctant to get another HD. I think the ram is an issue too.

Installing a second HDD is WAY EASY. You can do it!!! :D

NL5 said:
Installing a second HDD is WAY EASY. You can do it!!! :D

So is this like...I have my C: drive...but I should get another one? Like E: (assuming D is my disc drive)

And I should, say, run Cubase from E and save files in C??

TelePaul said:
So is this like...I have my C: drive...but I should get another one? Like E: (assuming D is my disc drive)

And I should, say, run Cubase from E and save files in C??

No. You would run all your applications, including Cubase off of the C drive. You would save your project and audio files on the second drive, whatever its designation.

I would say, however, that your problem probably is a RAM issue. What are your hard disk transfer rates like? My guess is that because you have so llittle RAM, your system is using the virtual memory on your hard drive as RAM--as it is supposed to--thus putting an extra strain on your system. Your processing speed is fine, and one hard drive does not necessarily cause problems--though two are preferable.

1 Mb of RAM is certainly the minimum you want for your DAW--I certainly wouldn't want to run with anything less--and 2 Mb would be even better.

Cheers,

Joe.

Back