MR-8 vs MR-98 mkII

eviljoker7075

Hey all - I am looking to purchase a Fostex multitracker. I was set on getting the MR-8, as from what I read its a good system for beginners, however I also then noticed there was a second version out.

I was wondering, which one would be better (aside from the lovely sleak black look of the new one :D )

Thanks for your help

Kev

Both the MR-8 and MR-8mkII come in red and black now. The only difference is the interface on the mkII; it's a rotary dial instead of 4 buttons. (Oh, and a higher price). The interface is a little easier to use on the mkII. But it's got the same weak pre amps and the same bad effects built in. Either way you go, only 2 inputs and only 2-track recording capability. It's a fine machine for the price, but if you are looking for the ability to record on more than two tracks with more than two inputs, I'd look at the MR-8HD or the VF series.

eviljoker7075 said:
ok, that helped a lot... so what has the MR-8HD got to offer then?
4 inputs, 4-track simultaneous recording and a 40GB harddrive.
However, it has the same sorry effects and pre amps that the original MR-8 has.

I had to buy a mixer for mine (original MR-8).
You will too.

eviljoker7075 said:
Can I not use my PC for that?
Sure. But the MR-8HD, and actually all of them, were designed to be an all-in-one studio in a box. They made it so that you can record, mix and master all in the unit. Then you can either send the tracks to your pc or to an outboard source for your mixed down tracks.

Or you can take the individual tracks to your pc via the wave manager and use software.

The problem is that the "mastering" mode isn't that good, and neither are the effects.

Back