can anyone recommend a digital recorder like the fostex fr-2, but a lot cheaper ?

underp

i'm looking for some digital recorder, with at least 1 xlr input, phantom power, battery powered, and 24-bit/96khz support.

i'm not looking for a lot of inputs, eq bands and stuffs like that. Just a simple digital recorder.

and also with the ability to download de data to my PC through USB or firewire.

underp said:
i'm looking for some digital recorder, with at least 1 xlr input, phantom power, battery powered, and 24-bit/96khz support.

i'm not looking for a lot of inputs, eq bands and stuffs like that. Just a simple digital recorder.

and also with the ability to download de data to my PC through USB or firewire.

I believe Marantz makes a field recorder to your specs that costs around $600/$700.

what about, just a simple one with XLR input and battery powered with not to much memory. i don't need to rec lot of hours.

could be 16bit/48khz, i don't care.

yeah, i was thinking on getting that one, after reading all the discussion about the CF card compatibility.

but i still don't know if 16-bit will become a problem, in the future.

i'll be recording sounds in the streets, wich exist the possibility to catch some very loud sounds accidentally, and could end with a distorted sound due the short resolution.

what you guys think ?

underp said:
yeah, i was thinking on getting that one, after reading all the discussion about the CF card compatibility.

but i still don't know if 16-bit will become a problem, in the future.

i'll be recording sounds in the streets, wich exist the possibility to catch some very loud sounds accidentally, and could end with a distorted sound due the short resolution.

what you guys think ?
The pre amps in the MR-8 are not that great. You have to crank the trim up with a cheap dynamic mic, so I don't think distortion will be a problem. The MR-8 does run off 6 AA batteries, so it's portable, and you can get a gig bag for it to carry it around.

Back