Would someone help me set up my interface with Reaper? I'm an old newbie...

Well, I thought I might have overlooked something in the i/o drop-down box, but I still can't get an option for the IO2 interface when I have ASIO selected. Bummer!

Hi
I'm still on holiday so can't try things!
Can you try an experiment?, in the ASIO panel, where the IO2 has got the red X's, there's a blue switch next to it
Try clicking on these just to see what they do,, I can't remember, but I have clicked on them?
Try them all! Try turning the realtec ones off, maybe that'll turn the others on?
This is bugging me, and frustrating coz I'm not @ my PC to try things!

Last edited:
Since I don't use the old sound card (Turtle Beech) I just disable in device manager or you can even disable it in the bios if it is causing you problems. Since I have not used ASIO4All, not sure if you are not turning something on. My understanding is ASIO4ALL simulates ASIO routing. So it takes WDM and uses it to create an ASIO session. So, you might have to do as jiff 41 stated and let the ASIO software know to route to the USB Interface. That could be why it is not showing up.

Hi
I'm still on holiday so can't try things!
Can you try an experiment?, in the ASIO panel, where the IO2 has got the red X's, there's a blue switch next to it
Try clicking on these just to see what they do,, I can't remember, but I have clicked on them?
Try them all! Try turning the realtec ones off, maybe that'll turn the others on?
This is bugging me, and frustrating coz I'm not @ my PC to try things!

Hello jiff,

Sounds like you're having a nice long vacation; hope you're enjoying it!

I'll try what you suggest. I think I have clicked them before...but I've tried so many things it's hard to be sure. I'll keep you posted, my friend. Thanks again.

Since I don't use the old sound card (Turtle Beech) I just disable in device manager or you can even disable it in the bios if it is causing you problems. Since I have not used ASIO4All, not sure if you are not turning something on. My understanding is ASIO4ALL simulates ASIO routing. So it takes WDM and uses it to create an ASIO session. So, you might have to do as jiff 41 stated and let the ASIO software know to route to the USB Interface. That could be why it is not showing up.

Hello DM60. I know nothing about ASIO or ASIO4ALL drivers. The Alesis IO2 supposedly doesn't need a driver and claims to be plug and play, but about everything I've read says it's better to use as SIO type driver. The ASIO4ALL alternative driver I installed is from a link on the Alesis website, so should be well matched to the interface.

Just to make sure I'm clear...are you saying I should select the computer's default card and that the ASIO4ALL will work through that? I'll give that a shot too, thanks. It's crazy that getting set up is taking me so long...I think one of the messages on the ASIO box may be right; it said "Your computer hates you", haha. I thought that was an odd thing to find embedded in within the software!

Thanks again, D60. I'll try the default card and see what happens and let you know. Have a good evening.

Not actually, I was suggesting disable the on board audio and use your card as a default sound card until you understand how to get it configured.

Not actually, I was suggesting disable the on board audio and use your card as a default sound card until you understand how to get it configured.

Ok, DM60, thank you. I just spent a couple of hours trying different setting, but still nothing through the monitors. I have a guitar plugged into the IO2 and can get sound that was, but not from my recorded test track...and the meters bounce when I play. I have the IO2 direct/usb knob turned towards usb when I try to get the track to play, but the guitar tells me the monitors are ok.

Nothing I do seems to eliminate the red "x"s on the driver info box. I've tried disabling wave, pc sounds, and still nothing. It's late and I'm tired from work, but I'm going to go try again for a little while. Thanks for your assistance!

Just so we know, when you say "the monitors" do you mean the PC monitors or have you got some plugged into the IO2,
Because we are aiming for sound from the IO2, & the knob turned over to USB will give just the soundcard out/no direct monitoring!
But if you're listening to the PC monitors, it's different!:rolleyes:

Another thought,, what can you hear when you plug phones in the IO2?,,,,,,& turning knobs?

Also, your monitors should be plugged into the interface. 1/4 in plugs from the interface output (Main L/R) on the backside of the the interface to the monitors (assuming powered monitors).

I hope we are helping.

Just so we know, when you say "the monitors" do you mean the PC monitors or have you got some plugged into the IO2,
Because we are aiming for sound from the IO2, & the knob turned over to USB will give just the soundcard out/no direct monitoring!
But if you're listening to the PC monitors, it's different!:rolleyes:

Another thought,, what can you hear when you plug phones in the IO2?,,,,,,& turning knobs?

Hello jiff,

I have a pair of Edirol MA 10d studio powered studio monitors with two 1/4" line run into the IO2. I haven't tried headphones yet. With some of the settings I've tried, I can get my guitar (which is also plugged into the IO2) to sound through the monitors. With some settings it sounds really bad and is intermittent. With other settings, it sounds nice and clear. Of course, I have to turn the knob a bit away from usb towards "direct" to hear the guitar.

Last night, I was again able to get sound from my Reaper test track through the monitors, but it was so faint and distorted that when I would push the Reaper faders up to hear it they would auto-mute. So obviously, I still have some things wrong. I wish you guys could remotely access my pc; I have a feeling that in 5 minutes you would have the settings correct.

Thanks, jiff.

Also, your monitors should be plugged into the interface. 1/4 in plugs from the interface output (Main L/R) on the backside of the the interface to the monitors (assuming powered monitors).

I hope we are helping.

You are helping, DM60! The monitors are powered and connected to the IO2 with two 1/4" lines, and the usb from the interface to the pc. I was just telling jiff that I got a little sound from my Reaper test track though the monitors last night, but it's not right yet. I'm still trying! I may be clueless, but I'm determined, haha. Thanks again, DM.

OK, checking the basics:
Using guitar - make sure the switch on the front panel for that channel is slid down to the guitar setting.
Input switch - make sure the switch on the front panel is slid down to the analog setting.
Gain knob - try turning it up

Reaper options: inputs and output channels set correctly to the Alesis.

I'm old and a Reaper user too... about 5 years now. First, are you certain that there isn't an ASIO driver from Alesis for that interface? Best to not use ASIO4ALL unless you have to...

edit: I looked on the Alesis website. Seems there is no ASIO driver except the ASIO4ALL. So much for that thought... :)

I have and Alesis iO2 and I have not be able to make it work in windows 8. I tried all the ways but not was posible.

A Question:

Independently of the reaper´s problem. Did you get any sound across the Alesis IO2 from other program, for example, media player, or youtube, etc...??

Maybe could be a problem no relationship with reaper.

Hugs.

Have you set your interface as the playback(output) device? You have to go to the Control Panel then to Sound, then to Manage Audio Device. You have to set it so that your interface is the default device. Your interface will show up there, but you have to make it the default or it will not play. hope this helps.

I had trouble with my nesw interface in Reaper - still have occasionally - but the prblem is all in the interface's mixer/software & not in Reaper. Check the software for the interface if you've not already.
My interface, Focusrite scarlett 8i6o is renowned for the problem I've discovered - sounds really good once I get a sound.

OK, checking the basics:
Using guitar - make sure the switch on the front panel for that channel is slid down to the guitar setting.
Input switch - make sure the switch on the front panel is slid down to the analog setting.
Gain knob - try turning it up

Reaper options: inputs and output channels set correctly to the Alesis.

Hello mjb,

Thanks for your help. I do have the switch on the IO2 Express set to "guitar" as you suggest, and the gain is at about 75%. I don't see a switch that says "analog". I do have the mono/stereo switch set to "mono". Is that correct?

As for Reaper options, under Reaper/Preferences/Device: when for Audio system I select "ASIO", then "ASIO4ALL v2" is automatically placed in the ASIO Driver box (with no other option and then, "Enable inputs" is checked, but only "HD Audio Stereo input 1 and 2 are the only input options and HD Audio are the only output options. What have I done wrong, my friend? Thanks again!

I'm old and a Reaper user too... about 5 years now. First, are you certain that there isn't an ASIO driver from Alesis for that interface? Best to not use ASIO4ALL unless you have to...

edit: I looked on the Alesis website. Seems there is no ASIO driver except the ASIO4ALL. So much for that thought... :)

Thanks Saddle. Nice to meet you...glad to know there are other guys with a few years on them in this. You're right, I just recently downloaded my ASIO4ALL driver right from the Alesis website, so I assume it must be the best driver for their unit. The paperwork says that the IO2 is plug-and-play, and that the optional driver isn't even necessary, but more reading seems to indicate that the ASIO4ALL drivers are better, especially for decreasing latency. Thanks again, Saddle!

ASIO4All, is 'NOT' the best driver for anything. It is a workaround, for poorly designed/supported gear, that has no good drivers.

I just briefly looked over this thread, but it seems you need to make your ASIO4All driver, the default in Windows. It is only a wrapper, that fakes a good driver. The output of your audio driver, needs to send through the IO2 Express. Somehow, it seems to not be getting there.

Or, just spend a few more bucks on something that is actually designed to do the proper job, on it's own. Just saying...

I have and Alesis iO2 and I have not be able to make it work in windows 8. I tried all the ways but not was posible.

A Question:

Independently of the reaper´s problem. Did you get any sound across the Alesis IO2 from other program, for example, media player, or youtube, etc...??

Maybe could be a problem no relationship with reaper.

Hugs.

Hello Javiramallo! Man, if the IO2 won't work with Windows 8...that would be bad news! I bought this computer about a month or so ago specifically for my new studio. Windows 8 is so different from all the previous versions; it's awkward for me. I was very comfortable with all the others, and feel like a beginner with "8".

I haven't tried sounds from the sources you suggest, but can get monitor sounds from my guitar plugged into the IO2, and in some of the settings I have heard pc test sounds through the IO2/monitors. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with Win 8 and the IO2?

Thanks a lot for your help. Javiramallo!

Back