Reaper VS. Pro Tools 9..

If you have the money for it I'd say go to Pro Tools. It's certainly not a bad program. If not Reaper will do just fine for you. The fact that it's so inexpensive is just a bonus. It's not just some program they threw together so the poor folks would have something to play with. It's pretty respectable. It's gotta a free trial, so why not try it out before you decide?

ProTools is a big corporation feeding megastudios.
Reaper is a few guys working together without the mega-costs of keeping fancy buildings and marketing departments going.

It's more than 99.99% of us need....

Gecko, we're working with audio, so we should probably apply dB math as opposed to straight multiplication.

Increasing our measurable units (dB or $) by 10 should double our perceived measure (volume or value), right? That means that ProTools should be 1.8*10^16 better! :D

the only reason i see to get pt is for compatibility if you are working at home and with studios. otherwise get reaper.

I am planning to buy reaper and finally changed my DAW from my old Adobe Audition 1.5. One great advantage of reaper is that it can support DirectX plugin, WDM, ASIO, VST and a lot of more for only $60. It works very well with any great USB and Firewire audio interface. I also listened to some samples in Youtube created using Reaper and it sounds great!

Actually. I went from PT to Reaper. Though I've only been using PT for two and a half year and may not been the most pro in it. I can't afford Pro Tools anymore, so I went over to Reaper.

Reaper is optimalized for Windows, while PT for Mac.
Reaper uses several plug-ins formats, VST for instance; alot of these around the internet for free.
Pro Tools uses Rtas and the plugins costs a fortune.

If you can afford Pro Tools and uses mac you should go for it, but if you don't can afford PT/uses windows you should go for Reaper.

The sound quality is basicly the same. To youre question again; If you get the best PT mix you can get and the best Reaper mix you can get, it's hard to notice the difference. I would say impossible unless you're a robot. Aka they are the same for normal users.

If you get the best PT mix you can get and the best Reaper mix you can get, it's hard to notice the difference. I would say impossible unless you're a robot.

That should be the situation for any high-quality DAW software. Unless one seriously botches up the raw data, it should mostly be a matter of: a) can I get the tools I want for it (plugins, FX, etc.) and b) does it have an intuitive interface that helps me have a reasonable workflow.

Back