Odd Reaper problem - "echo" when using impulses

DrewPeterson7

Sage of the Order
Ok, I'd appreciate your input on this one, guys...

I'm mixing in Reaper 64-bit, a 24/88.2 project, mixing down to 44.1 and dithering on mixdown, using Extreme 512 HQ sync.

I've got Bricasti M7 impulses (free, pretty awesome) loaded as a file in ReaVerb, in a separate 'verb bus. When I play back, it sounds great.

When I mix down, there's an audible 8th note delay on the reverb.

Dry:

[MP3]http://www.drewpeterson.org/reaper%20reverb/Reaperdry.mp3[/MP3]

Wet:

[MP3]http://www.drewpeterson.org/reaper%20reverb/Reaperverb.mp3[/MP3]

Again, it's definitely NOT happening when I just play back - I wish there was a good way to show this, but short of like sticking a mic up against a monitor speaker, I'm at a loss. Any ideas? I really like these 'verbs, but I can't really use them like this. I've had the same problem with cab impulses on bass tracks, but it's easier to hear on percussion like this.

I'm going to try over at the Reaper forums too, but wanted to try you guys as well.

You say when you 'mix down' - do you mean when you render the mix? Try it with a different impulse file?

You're not somehow applying the 'verb twice are you? e.g. Recording it to a take and then leaving that take in the same channel with the reverb?

Yes to "mixdown = render," and the file doesn't make a difference - I've tried a few and it's happend (but ONLY on render) with all.

No to applying the reverb twice - I'm applying it in the clips above to S2.0 sequenced drums, so technically speaking I didn't record them at all. And I would expect to hear a similar echo across the board if it was somehow echoing itself on render, but it's only tracks where I'm using ReaVerb.

Have you tried doing your first render (mix down) to 24 bit, then re-load that into a new project? If the reverb still sounds good, then render into 16 but and dither.

Have you tried doing your first render (mix down) to 24 bit, then re-load that into a new project? If the reverb still sounds good, then render into 16 but and dither.

You know, I forgot why I was dithering in mixdown, rather than after exporting - I do the whole "quasi-master" routine in a separate audio editor, so there's no reason why I couldn't resample there. I don't recall if I started going straight to 16 in mixdown because there was an issue with rendering to 24, or if it was just due to convenience. I'll try it, if not tonight (crashing my old employer's holiday party in a half hour :D) then tomorrow and report back.

This worked - rendering from 24/88.2 to 24/88.2 (but, interestingly, with dither still engaged - it crashed when I tried to turn off dithering) gave me the same 'verb I heard on playback when I listened to the rendered file. I don't think there's any reason I can't do my quasi-mastering normalization drill with a 24/88.2 file so this is fine for a workaround for the time being, but I'm still curious if the Reaper guys can come up with anything.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back