Can I Use My Zoom R-16 As A Reaper Interface?

Mickster

Making a change to reaper and was wondering if I could use a Zoom R-16 as an interface. If so........any issues I should be aware of?

Yes, it is an interface, and also has OK input preamps. There's some YouTube videos for setting up with Reaper.
The Zoom R series (8/16/24) uses Mackie Machine Control, and Reaper defaults to MMC unless otherwise instructed.

Note: there's no MIDI with any DAW, never mind just Reaper. Use the USB for automating mixes and audio inputs.
Make sure you download the most recent firmware and driver updates from the Zoom website ( zoom.co.jp ).

It turns out the subject has been broached before:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...-recording-computers/my-week-zoom-r24-353586/

Note: there's no MIDI with any DAW, never mind just Reaper. Use the USB for automating mixes and audio inputs.
Make sure you download the most recent firmware and driver updates from the Zoom website ( zoom.co.jp ).

Not sure this is worded correctly. Majority of DAWs there is MIDI, Reaper just updated their MIDI editing. You do have to provide voicing for the track or use the voicing of the instrument (MIDI Out to MIDI In) One might have to figure out how to get use USB if there is no MIDI ports on the interface, but you can always use a MIDI to USB connector.

Not sure this is worded correctly. Majority of DAWs there is MIDI, Reaper just updated their MIDI editing. You do have to provide voicing for the track or use the voicing of the instrument (MIDI Out to MIDI In) One might have to figure out how to get use USB if there is no MIDI ports on the interface, but you can always use a MIDI to USB connector.
I apologize. Let me clarify: the Zoom R-24 has no MIDI in/out/through.

I apologize. Let me clarify: the Zoom R-24 has no MIDI in/out/through.
Right, so you might have to get a USB to MIDI converter to play through a keyboard or a drum pad. But the MIDI sounds will play from the DAW through the R-24.

The sounds from your DAW can be played out and recorded to the Zoom R series, but to my way of thinking, that kind of defeats the purpose of the DAW. I use my R24 to record live, and bring everything home to Reaper and use the Zoom as a control surface to mix volume levels. Everything else can be done in Reaper in terms of special effects, EQ, echo, soft synths, etc.

I've looked at pictures on the samsontech.com website, and neither the R-16 nor the R-24 has MIDI jacks for any purpose. There's only one USB jack, but that's going to be connected to your computer if you're interfacing.

The rear jack panel of the R-16:
R16_rear-web.jpg

The same on the R-24:
R24_rear-web.jpg

Last edited:
No, the USB/MIDI would go through your computer only to drive the VSTi instrument inside the DAW or the DAW to drive the keyboard voicing or back to a live recording to the R(X).

Ok, some basics. MIDI is just digital data that is transferred between computers (I am calling keyboards and modules a computer here). The inputs from a MIDI device can be routed to other devices (sound modules or other MIDI keyboards) to send out data to drive the voices. A DAW simple records the data from the Keyboard though a MIDI output. There are various different pieces of information imbedded in this code (Hence Musical Instrument Digital Interface, MIDI), MIDI is just a standard data exchange for interoperability. All MIDI devices use the standard even if it is not a musical device.

So, you send data signals out from your keyboard, there is also an analog signal that is sent. You keyboard is internally sending MIDI data that drives voices built inside your computer. Your DAW will record the MIDI signals as a MIDI track for other voicings (VSTi), and the actual keyboard analog sounds through regular analog tracks. So you have several way to capture the sound. One, Analog, which is just like any electrical instrument (Analog track), MIDI data information (MIDI data) and requires a VSTi for sound or capture the signals, correct and then send them back to the keyboard to record back to analog.

Now, main point. The MIDI/USB will connect to your computer (since there is not one on the R(x)) to record the MIDI data to your DAW. The Analog part of your keyboard just connects as a regular instrument and is treated as any other analog signal.

Does this help or make it worse?

DM60: That's sensible. However, I'm wondering if there will be any latency issues between the MIDI and the analog signal. That would be a bit of a freakout for me.

DM60: That's sensible. However, I'm wondering if there will be any latency issues between the MIDI and the analog signal. That would be a bit of a freakout for me.

There may be some, I don't notice it, but you will have to work through that issue as you get to it. There is delay in everything.

"I use my R24 to record live, and bring everything home to Reaper and use the Zoom as a control surface to mix volume levels"

..are you saying you can bounce(drop) music from zoom r16 to reaper??If so, how? thanks

Copy the wav files from the SD card from the Zoom into your computer and import them into Reaper. You can also copy them to the computer directly via the USB cable.

Back