Vocal distortion in CEP

electricabanana

Hi.

I am trying to get vocals sounding a touch distorted....think of the vocal sound used by the swamp of garage revivalists (strokes, white stripes, yeah yeah yeahs)

i am thinking maybe i will need to buy external equipment, but i thought i would check.

anyone know how to do it in cool edit?

would you use a compressor or actual distorition?

thanks

electricabanana said:
Hi.

I am trying to get vocals sounding a touch distorted....think of the vocal sound used by the swamp of garage revivalists (strokes, white stripes, yeah yeah yeahs)

i am thinking maybe i will need to buy external equipment, but i thought i would check.

anyone know how to do it in cool edit?

would you use a compressor or actual distorition?

thanks

Always Record 'clean', then add drive or EQ fx, by CooEdit. (lots of ways to create this effect within CEpro)....it'll be more controlable this way and you can re-try different things. If you record 'hot' to begin with, to get the 'distorted effect, you could lose this ability.
Within CEP's Edit view, under FX (or something like that), you'll find a myriad of fx that you can apply and control. Play with them as you can't hurt the original file,...unless you save the FX version of the vocal file with the same name!

Thanks for your help....

ace156, does this work with cool edit? i cant see a way to use vst plugins, but if there is a way, i would definitely like to know how! thanks

ooooooh, sorry for my ignorance.. :(

vst didn't come out until aa 1.5.

well you can try boosting the input level and restricting the output level.

or try effects> special> distortion

Back