Is Cool Edit now Adobe Audition?

drathbun

I've been looking at a demo of Adobe Audition and it looks an awful lot like Cool Edit (as I remember it). I've been using Sonar 2 for a while now and am used to it. Audition looks cool but I can't figure out how to drag clips around like I do in Sonar. In Sonar I just cut the track where I want and then drag it where I want using snaps etc. I can't seem to find a similar feature in Audition. Anyone?

heh heh =cough, cough= Cool Edit Pro?

Yes, Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium a couple of years ago and renamed it Audition. While CEP was famous for running on horsepower-challenged PCs, Adobe has brought it up to speed both in requirements and features. I personally started with CEP 1.2 and now have Adobe Audition 1.5. When you buy AA you also get a comprehensive manual and a DVD tutorial. I don't have any experience with Sonar but AA is very easy to learn to use.

Thanks ozpeter! It is amazing how simple actions get no documentation. I searched through the user manual and help files using words like "dragging" "moving" and "editing" clips, segments, tracks, samples... etc. I couldn't find that simple command. It makes all the difference as to whether I'll seriously look at this program or not!

Thanks again.

It depends. I like it because there are new noise reduction tools that allow me to get rid of finger squeaks from guitar players. I find it rock solid with XP, also.

The last time I checked Adobe was asking $69 for the upgrade from CEP2.0. Buy the CD: it comes with a tutorial DVD and a printed manual.

OK, I just checked again: it's $69US for either the download or the CD/DVD/Manual package for registered CEP 2x or AA 1.0 owners.

its worth upgrading to adobe audition,,, having the VST feature is a great bonus and the only thing i thought let cool edit down

lpdeluxe said:
I like it because there are new noise reduction tools that allow me to get rid of finger squeaks from guitar players. I find it rock solid with XP, also.

how do you use the noise reduction to do that . I have been recording a lot of acoustic guitar and it would be nice to mellow that noise a bit

thanks

Using noise reduction, zoom in on the squeak, sample it with noise reduction, save it in noise reduction, close out of noise reduction, highlight the whole wave, go back into noise reduction and load the saved sample, and run noise reduction on the whole wave.

how do you use the noise reduction to do that

With Adobe Audition 1.5, you put the track with finger squeaks into Edit View, and zero in on an area maybe 30 sec in length. Press F9 to produce the spectral (as opposed to waveform) view. Play back the section and you will see where the finger squeaks are as the cursor moves past them. Using the marquee tool draw around the squeak (you can drag the edges and top and bottom to really hone in on it). Then click on Effects/Noise Reduction/Click and Pop/and then click on the button that says something like "Fix Click Once" in the lower right hand corner of the dialog box (if that button is greyed out, it means you selected too large an area). AA will erase the squeak noise and clone the audio around it so there's no gap (as there would be if you just hit delete). Once you have done one you can play through the track, stop every time you see a squeak (trust me, you'll learn what they look like after the first one), draw the marquee around it and hit F3 to repeat the operation you performed on the first one. It'll take probably 5 minutes to do a 3 minute track, once you learn how to do it, and you'll end up with pristine guitar tracks. And of course, you can get rid of other noises the same way at the same time (chair creaks, whatnot). I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning up some guitar tracks I recorded over the weekend, and I discovered that one of the guitarists was grunting when he really got into a hot lead. All I had to do was identify the grunts in spectral view, and I treated them just like the finger squeaks. I'd pay what I paid to upgrade to 1.5 just for a plugin that would do all this. BTW, the tutorial DVD tells you how to do this but the manual is not very helpful.

Back