Sonar 3.0 audio editor?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hi -
Do most of you guys use an external audio editor like Soundforge, CEP or Wavelab on your Sonar 3.0 tracks?

Thanks!

Yes. They certainly make editing an individual wav file easier. The three I have tried and use most frequently are Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition or something like that), WavLab and Sound Forge. They are all good, come with various effects and are pretty easy to use.

Take Care

I used Soundforge (older version) and later Wavelab. Have not used it for some time though as I found I can do most things in Sonar with plug-ins, without destructive editing.

I recently bought Sonar 3.0 and am so used to CEP, I figure I'll probably stick with CEP for my wav editing.
But I was wondering if anyone used Sonar as an all-in-one app.

After much deliberation, I went for Wavelab 4.0 a while ago. It's handy for more in depth editing. The cool thing is, you can select a portion of audio in Sonar, then go up to tools and select wavelab, and it'll open up the selected clip in wavelab. Make whatever changes, save the file, and bingo, reloads right into sonar. You can use Soundforge or basically any other editor in the same way, right within Sonar.

lost studios said:
I use wavelab 4. God I love that program! :D
Ditto - with a capital D. Great program!

I record and mix in Sonar. Use Wavelab for audio editing, mastering and CD burning.

I've also used Sound Forge, and while it's OK, Wavelab is superior IMHO (and more expensive).

Haven't used CEP.

What can you as a Sonar use a wave editor for? I believe Sonar will do most things for you, including mastering. CD burning is easily done with Nero or whatever comes with your burner.

I have found Cool Edit useful for:

1. Removing general noise (hum). You show it what is noise and tell Cool Edit to remove that.

2. Manually removing finger noise from acoustic guitar recordings. Magnifying the wave you can actually see the noise and then reduce volume significantly.

Then perhaps some cutting away at wave level after magnifying, because Sonar is to crude?

I used a demo version of Cool Edit for those things. But are there any other useful purposes for a wave editor?

tombuur said:
I believe Sonar will do most things for you, including mastering.
You can also pound a nail with a shoe, but a hammer is generally better. :D

tombuur said:
But are there any other useful purposes for a wave editor?
In addition to those you've mentioned, here's some others that come to mind:

Detecting and eliminating DC offset.
Splitting stereo tracks to mono tracks, or converting a stereo track to mono.
Changing sample rate and/or bit depth.
Stretching/shrinking clips.
Converting to AIFF format (or MP3, or WMA, etc.)
Fade-Ins/Outs (with significantly more control over the shape of the fade than offered in Sonar).
Spectrum Analyzer
Loudness Analyzer
Phase inversion

However, the advantage of a program like Wavelab is not JUST as an audio editor, it is also it's function as a Mastering Platform and CD burning program (with options you don't normally find in non-audio CD burners - such as cross fades between tracks, track markers anywhere you want them, etc.).

what audio editing do you find easier in wavelab/sound forge?

i'm baffled why you would use 2 different programs...you can zoom in on sonar tracks so what is the big deal? am i missing something?

Teacher said:
what audio editing do you find easier in wavelab/sound forge?

i'm baffled why you would use 2 different programs...you can zoom in on sonar tracks so what is the big deal? am i missing something?
Did you read the post directly above yours???

At a minmum Sonar does not include tools for sample rate conversion, eliminating dc offset, or waveform repair tools to get rid of pops and clicks.

Sonar is an excellent mult-track recording program with midi capability. It is not a great editor, nor a good platform for mastering - although it can be used for both of those functions.

dachay2tnr said:
Did you read the post directly above yours???

At a minmum Sonar does not include tools for sample rate conversion, eliminating dc offset, or waveform repair tools to get rid of pops and clicks.

Sonar is an excellent mult-track recording program with midi capability. It is not a great editor, nor a good platform for mastering - although it can be used for both of those functions.

when i'm thinking audio editing i'm thinking taking one wave track i.e a guitar part importing to wavelab doing whatever then saving...in that instance what can you do that sonar can't do?

i consider SRC and dc eliminating part of the 'mastering phase' ...wave form repair tools...i didn't know that...like what?

Teacher said:
when i'm thinking audio editing i'm thinking taking one wave track i.e a guitar part importing to wavelab doing whatever then saving...in that instance what can you do that sonar can't do?
Basically nothing (except from removing DC-offset and so on), but it's just so much easier to have an external editor. ;)

haha....i understand...its the same reason why i use sonar for pre production and samplitude to do the actual mixing....its about feeling comfortable....

Teacher said:
haha....i understand...its the same reason why i use sonar for pre production and samplitude to do the actual mixing....its about feeling comfortable....
Have you tried to do a complete mixing in SONAR 3 Producer edition???

Back