Simultaneous multitrack recording

AndyCarpenter

I'm getting into recording with Cakewalk and have had relative success with guitars and vocals, but soon enough I will need to record drums. I will need some kind of sound card or any piece of hardware that will allow me to record several tracks at once (one for each drum mic) that each occupy a seperate track in Cakewalk so that I can edit each drum independently...probably about 8 tracks. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Keep in mind I am fairly new to this. Any help is appreciated.

Delta-1010 by M-audio. No muss, no fuss. Easy installation, good drivers. For me, at least.
I recorded 7 tracks of drums last night. No problem. Could've done 8. I ran out of mic stands. :)
I would upgrade to Sonar for better mixer automation and Win2k to utilize WDM drivers if you haven't already.
Also, you're going to need mic pre's to get the signal into the 1010. It has 1/4" inputs.

I want a delta 1010 too!

Andy it seems like everybody and their brother has a 1010 and I have'nt seen any complaints so it must be the way to go.

Now can somebody borrow me the dough so I can get one too?

Anybody knows the difference between the Delta 1010 and the Delta 1010LT ?

Yeah, the Delta1010 has a PCI card attached via a cable to an external box that houses switchable balanced/unbalanced 1/4" analog inputs, the analog/digital converters, a MIDI interface, and a word clock interface for digital synchronization with other devices. The card itself also carries a S/PDIF port.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/delt1010.php

The 1010LT has a PCI card with a big clot of cable ends coming out with all your connectors on it. Two are XLR and have mic preamps; the rest are unbalanced RCA. It also has MIDI, S/PDIF, and word clock i/o. All the electronics are of course on the card. For $300 less than the regular 1010, it seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/1010lt.php

Thanks a bunch! I visited one (norwegian) site that told me the price-difference was 400$, but didn't tell me what I would miss if I got the LT-version.

And btw, I assume both cards have WDM-drivers?

I got a GREAT deal on my 1010 in a private sale. New in the box. The guy bought 2 and didn't need the second one, but he needed the $$$.
Anyway, the LT with a patchbay might be a nice inexpensive way out with a similar interface once all the patch cords are run.
Another option is the STaudio interface. It's just like the 1010, but cheaper. I've read a lot of good things about it as far as performance and peoples' success with it.

As far as I know (99.9% sure) these options have the WDM drivers. Yes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It looks like that STAudio card is what I'm looking for but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had experience with both the STAudio ($419) and the 1010 ($800). I'd like to think the $419 is good enough for what I need to do because I am on a budget, but if the 1010 is worth the extra money, I'd like to know.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It looks like that STAudio card is what I'm looking for but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had experience with both the STAudio ($419) and the 1010 ($800). I'd like to think the $419 is good enough for what I need to do because I am on a budget, but if the 1010 is worth the extra money, I'd like to know.

Just a note of caution, bear in mind the 1010 does not have XLR inouts with with pre-amps...but the 1010LT does. Yer pays yer money........

And if you wanted to make wider use of all those lovely inputs, you could always buy a small mixer for your drums and output the mixed signal into 1 or 2 outputs to your soundcard.

I have the STAudio c-port with the breakout box.I record my tracks at 24 bit 44.1Hz and am very pleased with the clean sound as well as the ability to record multiple simultanious tracks.The day my c-port arrived, I ran a test where I used all 10 inputs (the 8 on the box plus stereo S/PDIF into the daughtercard=10X10) for 15 minutes on my PIII 600 running w98se and n-track.It went smooth as silk with no glitches or pops right out of the box.For me,its been a good value of features vs price and certainly is light years beyond my old 16 bit stereo soundcard.
Tom

Back