Pitch correction plugin advice sought...

pdlstl

I've decided I want a new toy.

I'm wanting a pitch correction plug-in for the times an audio event (primarily vocal) needs a little nudge. I know there is pitch shift/stretch function in SONAR but is this really what I want to use?

I've looked at a product called Voice Tweaker by RBC Audio. The Pro version sells for $119. The Lite version is $59. The main difference is the Pro version has a graphical control over pitch and formants.

Anyone with thoughts on this particular plugin or perhaps others? Or do I just need to dig deeper into SONAR 2.0?

I'm not wanting to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Earl

If you want the best, you'll have to pay for it: Antares Auto-Tune 3.

I have Auto-Tune and the VoiceTweaker (DXi-version), and like Auto-Tune best. VoiceTweaker is a "toy" for me, use it do make voices sound like a synth.

try autotune out. they have a trial version for 10 days. i think you can get it for as low as 199 (macmidimusic.com).

it's pretty transparent if you get the settings right. doesn't really affect the quality of the original signal.

Autotune is the way to go. Use the graphical mode, though. I find the automatic mode makes poor decisions.

The graphical mode will take a little time to learn, but once you learn it, it is very powerful and can be quite transparent.

I've been using Auto-Tune 3 and find it to work quite well. My only complaint about it is that the manual doesn't explain how to use graphical mode adequately. I don't know how to get the sound clip I want to work on into the graph. If anyone here can explain the procedure I would appreciate it. I've only worked in automatic mode so far.

Charlie

I'm not near my DAW right now, so this is from memory:

Go into graphical mode and click the Track Pitch button, then click Audition. The program will draw the wave for you. Then use the line drawing tool to make your corrections. Click audtion again. When satisfied click OK (or Apply).

You'll need to work with it to get the hang of it, but IMHO it's the only way to use Autotune.

BTW, those instructions are for ver. 1.3 . I haven't upgraded to 3.0, so I don't know how different it might be.

Hey Dachay, so let me get this right. You are recording a singer who hits a few bum notes, maybe a semi-tone out - or a bit more. If I understand correctly, this plug-in detects and corrects the pitch? And can you pre-set the software to a pre-determined sensitivity level, so it corrects in real-time?

The Antares box is a whole lot of cash, might be worth it if it can make me sound like I'm singing in tune!

I had the demo a while back(auto tune)and it's the real deal baby.
money's a little tight right now but as soon as I can get the cash I'm going to jump on it.
Singing in tune is not out of my realm,what with multiple takes editing and such.But when you're doing the writing,playing of all the instruments and mixing it can sure grease the skids.
I hope no one thinks this plugin will make a diva out of an alleycat,but it can sure fix those "reach notes".

it's surely not going to fix a singer who is tone deaf but...
i agree with acidrock, it can save you a lot of time when you're really close to having a perfect take. it fixes the small things exceptionally well.
..and if you're looking to add that 'cher' sound to your recordings ;)..

you can get it for $200 at macmidimusic.com. no i don't work there, it's just that i bought it direct from antares and paid to much (doh!)

Paul -

This is another great tool for your toolkit - one that can save a lot of time with retakes.

It has two operating modes - auto and graphical. The auto mode works pretty much as you described it. You even tell it the key the song is played in and the degree of correction you want. However, I find auto mode doesn't always make good decisions. For ex., sometimes when the note should be a D#, autotune will correct it to a D.

The graphical mode, on the other hand, plots a graph of the wave by note. You can see from the plotted wave just how far off the sung note is from the true note. Using a drawing tool, you can then correct it to whatever you wish (within reason).

The program does have its limitations. For example, it generally won't do "large" corrections very well (but if you sing that far off key, maybe you should stick to guitar playing). Also, if the singer has a strong vibrato, it can cause the vocal to sound fake.

However, used judiciously, it is a great addition to your arsenal. And if you can pick it up for $200 as erichenryus says, it's well worth it.

(BTW, I believe it also works on instruments - e.g., a sax - although I haven't had occasion to use it for that yet.)

Auto Tune 3 works on other instruments. I've tuned up some fretless bass parts, and plan to try it on my double bass. I'd like to see what it does with percussion instruments like cowbells, congas and timbales. When I get time, I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Might even come up with some unique and strange sounds -- or do nothing. I'll see.

I have obtune and I'm unimpressed,if you want a slight increase in the quality go for it.If you want a precision surgical tool save up for the autotune.

Back