Out of Memory

blipndub

Sorry to keep dogging you all with basic questions, but you're all so helpful!

Anyway, I'm presently unable to patch in ANY effects in HS2002. What's troubling is that last night I was all about adding effects, I compressed and reverbed entire songs or nearly all the tracks in a song.

Today I can't add any effects to any of my projects. It also seems that the audio effects menu is somehow different in appearence, not sure about that tho.

I tried shutting down all other programs including my internet connection, so that the only thing open besides CW is the Creative soundfont menu that allows me to increase my cache for the midi tracks (which defaults back to a low setting when I close it)

Any thoughts on this mystery? Why would it change overnight?

Thanks

Have you been able to do this before?
Did you change any settings/drivers lately?
Try reassigning the outputs to the tracks and see if you get the same error message.

Interesting...

The ultimate test of program or machine. I packed the whole project into a .bun file and moved it to another machine, more powerful with morehard drive space and 500+RAM. After adjusting for the plug-ins that my home machine has that this one doesn't I got the same message when trying to add an effect.

<Out of Memory> and when I click <ok> i get <Could not patch effects>.

I didn't make any changes last night but will try messing with the outputs. Very confusing!

I can't even put effects on new projects that have no audio at all!

I tried messing with the outputs on this other machine and that didn't work. This is so bizarre!!

Last edited:
More breaking news

I emailed Cakewalk about this problem and will follow up with what they say.

New details however. I downloaded a compressor shareware program wondering if something was up with my on-board effects. I patched the compressor onto a vocal track this morning with no problems at all. Progress!

Then I went to compress another track and I got the same Out of Memory message. So I deleted the effect from the vox track that i had just added compression to and tried to re-do the effect and I got the out of memory message yet again! What's up with that?

I changed my video card acceleration level to see if that helped and it didn't .

The little system monitor at the bottom right of scren in CW says I am using 15% of my disk space and my CPU meter isn't peaking above 10% at any time.

This is maddening b.c the project is almost finished and the compression really gives it the polish i want!

HOLY BREAKTHROUGH BATMAN!

By changing the In (wave in) settings to either Right, Left or Stereo I'm able to add the new compressor!

I still can't add many of the effects in the audio effects menu but maybe I never could, maybe they are teasers that CW puts in to make you want SONAR! BUt something is still off b.c i was adding compression just two nights ago without the new download.

alright alright

Just carrying on my own little conversation here!

Anyway, duh, I figured something out. Highlighting a track and then right-clicking gives me more audio effects options and I'm not having the memory problems that I was before.

So I guess that's it and I don't have to worry about the other effects problems. But I got a cool compressor in the process. It's a Timewords Compressor that I found on Hitsquad.com, very nice interface and good warm sound.

I had that message too and ended up adding another harddrive, more ram and reinstalled Sonar and my tc native bundle on the new drive. Sonar never worked better.

Yeah it's amazing how much physical space these files take up. I suddenly need a new hard drive too!

I didn't make clear in the last post that I had been trying to work in the effects by clicking on the FX section of the track view status area the box where panning and volume settings are. Instead I've found that by highlighting and right clicking on the track (wav form) itself I can get the effects I need.

Have You tried "clean audio disk" ? I forget which tab its under"ACTIONS"? This will clear out alot of unused stuff. Just backup your tunes to be sure.

Back