Good small monitoring speakers

lopie

can anyone suggest desktop monitor speaker (not real expensive) that would be a cut above my "computer speaker" but do the job

Almost anything would be a cut above your computer speakers.

What do you mean, will do the job?? All speakers are going to have some limitations. I use Event 20/20 BAS speakers and find they don't transmit low bass very well (or at all) - despite costing $700 for the pair. Some of it is simply due to physical issues. 8" speakers can't handle bass as well as 12" or 15", and 5" speakers will be worse.

I just bought myself a pair of Behringer TRUTHs. I must say that for the price, they are pretty good. :)

But if you live in the states, you should be able to get better speakers without getting broke...

I know some might not agree, but Radio Shack makes some pretty good small speakers for cheap. I have a pair that I bought over twenty years ago that still work great. You would also have to buy a small amp to power them though.

I know these are good monitors, however I've used them for years... it's the old story, if you know your monitors/room you should be able to make a good mix:

Roland MA-8: Stereo Micro Monitors

I use other smaller monitors from Roland at the moment, however in the future, I plan on getting some real monitors.

Porter

If you don't have much to spend the MA-8's are much better than
your present speakers.After that I would want to know what kind of sound card you have.It's not going to do you much good getting $400 and up monitors if you've got a crappy soundcard.
Take note that the MA-8's are self powered.

Can't tell from own experience, but I've been told Edirol new line of powered monitors kicks major ass...

seba said:
Can't tell from own experience, but I've been told Edirol new line of powered monitors kicks major ass...
I've heard them and didn't like them. They were just too tiny, didn't move enough air... ;)

Back