Converting MIDI to WAV

AndrewSales

Hi,

How do I convert MIDI tracks to WAV tracks on Cakewalk? I use a Roland XP-30 to create the synths but it's all in MIDI, I need a WAV track instead of a MIDI track. How do I do this in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9? PLEASE HELP!!!

- Andrew

What soundcard do you have? You simply put the analog outs of your keyboard into the soundcard, set up cakewalk for audio recording, arm a track, and you are set. Use the search button, this is a very common question, or look at older cakewalk threads.

I have a weird funky setup that may be the problem:

- Keyboard L/R Audio Out to Mixer L/R Audio In
- Mixer L/R Main Out to Monitor Amp In
- Mixer L/R Aux Send to Sound Card L/R Line In
- Sound Card L/R Line Out to Mixer L/R Aux Ret

I use an XP-30 (keyboard), a Samson Mixpad 9 (mixer), Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (sound card/midi connector), and Roland MA-8 (monitor amplifiers). Is this a good setup or is there some other way that will actually work for recording audio from MIDI?

- Andrew

Andrew, I would suggest first trying to hook your keyboard to your soundcard and recording directly, just to see if out works and you are doing everything right. If it does, then go back to the mixer and try that. I think your mixer set up is fine, I hook mine up like yours, except I take my outputs from my soundcard in stick them in line in (tracks 5 and 6) of my mixer.

Make sure all the aux send knobs are turned up, including the master, to make sure you are sending audio to the soundcard.

David, I made my setup just like yours where the keyboard is directly connected to the sound card and the sound card to the mixer, the mixer to the sound card, etc. But when I press a note on the keyboard, I don't hear any sound coming from my amps. The volume is turned up but I still don't hear any thing. Perhaps I may have set it up wrong, this is what I did:

- Keyboard L/R Audio Out to Sound Card L/R Line In
- Sound Card L/R Line Out to Mixer tracks 4 and 5
- Mixer Aux Send 1/2 to Sound Card L/R Line In
- Mixer L/R Main Output to Amp L/R Input

Is this correct? I am sort of confused with these Aux stuff. Is Aux Send just like a Line Out and Aux Recieve like a Line In?

- Andrew

Or do I just need to adjust some stuff on Cakewalk? Possibly Options | Audio? I don't have a clue how to work this, the help files don't help and the online Cakewalk support doesn't either. Does anyone know what the problem is?!?!

- Andrew

Woah, I forgot one more thing:

- Keyboard L/R Audio Out to Mixer L/R Audio In
**Keyboard MIDI In/Out to Sound Card MIDI Out/In**
- Mixer L/R Main Out to Monitor Amp In
- Mixer L/R Aux Send to Sound Card L/R Line In
- Sound Card L/R Line Out to Mixer L/R Aux Ret

Is that the problem? This is my original setup...

- Andrew

Andrew, try my first idea, lose the mixer and plug the keyboard in to your soundcard. This way you will learn if the problem is with your Cakewalk setup or not. Dont worry about hearing anything; if cakewalk is set up right, arm the track, then pull up the console/mixer thingee. You should see the led meters move when you play your keyboard. If not, I would guess that Cakewalk is not set up right.

Andrew,

Lets back up...first of all...are the midi sequences that you created in Cakewalk..or were they sequenced and still in the Roland?

I will try the setup without a mixer and I'll tell you if anything works or not. Yes, the MIDI sequences are in Cakewalk...I'm hoping that Cakewalk is setup wrong because I payed $200 for a mixer that I purchased probably 50 miles away. But I can always return it (hopefully)...

- Andrew

P.S. While I'm setting this up with no mixer, how would you setup Cakewalk for recording?

Andrew, to record, you first look under source, then track one. It probably says midi under source in track one. Double click, a box will pop up that lets you choose your source. Choose your soundcard in, then choose the soundcard out. Arm the track by pressing R, then go to the console/mixer and make sure you are getting a good signal. Then press the record button at the top right, and start playing something. Dont worry about a sequence yet, just play live and make sure the dang thing works. Hope it works.

I plugged in my keyboard to the Line In of the sound card and the amp to the Line out of the sound card. When I play a note on the piano, I don't hear anything. When I record audio (from MIDI keyboard), nothing happens.

When I choose an audio source, which one do I choose? My choices are:

- Left ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Right ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Stereo ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Left MaestroRecord
- Right MaestroRecord
- Stereo MaestroRecord

I'm assuming that MaestroRecord is the microphone because when I use it, it records what the mic pics up. But I'm not sure about the 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 records because none of them work. My sound card has 8 Line Inputs: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 (L/R). Currently, my keyboard is plugged into the first two: 1/2.

What is this SPDIF thing? I can't find its definition in the manual. Please help!

- Andrew

Andrew, SPDIF is for keyboards and mixers with a digital output,which you aint got. I think it means Sony/Philips Digital Interface, not sure. Dont use that.

Again, dont worry about HEARING anything, worry about SEEING something. I would try 1/2 analog record, arm the track, go to console view, and see if the meters are moving. If they are, it is recording, then you can worry about the mixer and the other stuff next.
I would assume your soundcard has some kind of on screen mixer? If so, play the keys and make sure something is registering.

Ok, I'm here at the Console/Mixer view in Cakewalk. Nothing seems to be moving, even if I press anything on the keyboard.

The thing is, **I already have MIDI tracks (with MIDI data) that I want to be converted to Audio.** I don't want to record audio from my keyboard by playing on it. Even if I do arm the track, press record, and hit keys, nothing happens. And when I just press record (I'm assuming to record the current MIDI tracks to audio tracks, all I have to do is this), again, nothing happens.

I'm not sure if my sound card has an on-screen mixer. Do you mean a program that is like "Volume Controls" but only for my sound card? I do have something like that. But when I play keys on my keyboard, nothing happens or moves in that program.

- Andrew

Andrew, have you tried to record anything else, like vocals or guitar, and has it worked?

When you are at the console/mixer view, is the track armed (record button)?

In cakewalk, there are some demo examples with audio, one is called radio spot. Can you hear the girl talking? ( You might have to un-archive the track, right click on A.)

Arent you glad you got cakewalk? Just kidding, it is actually very cool once you learn a few tricks.

If you have midi tracks already, that doesnt matter. If you have midi on tracks 1 through 5, set up track 6 for audio. It wont affect your midi tracks.

There is a fellow in this forum named Alchuck. Perhaps give him a holler; he knows this stuff real well, but even better, he knows how to explain it to novices like me and you.

Like Bill Clinton, " I feel your pain", it sucks when you got new toys and they dont work right away. You can call the customer service lines, but they arent gonna do anything, so stick around for a bit and somebody around here will get you up and running.

Ok Andrew there are a number of things you could do to convert your MIDI flies into Wav. files, like DavidK and Tekker have already tried to share with you. :)

1) You could convert the midi in Cakewalk.

2) You play it OUT of Cakewalk IN to your "Editing Program".

3) You could play it out of your computer as a MIDI file and back in to your computer to be saved as a WAV. file (by using Cakewalk or you Editing Program). Which is pretty much the same as #2.

4)You could send it to your "editing program" then SAVE AS a WAV. file.

Also, REMEMBER...

SOURCE is where Cake hears (gets) the music.

PORT is where Cake plays (sends) the music.

Let's use example #3...

(I'm assuming that you have 8 outputs also).

If your MIDI tracks are on 7 and 8
set your PORTS to 1 and 2 OUT
SOLO tracks 7 and 8

ARM tracks 5 and 6 to RECORD
set the SOURCE to 3 and 4 IN

get your patch cords, and go out of 1 and 2 OUT, into 3 and 4 IN.

Press RECORD.

Now...

You will have the MIDI tracks on 7 and 8

And the WAV. files on 5 and 6

This might be inable you to grasp the concept little better. :)

peace out... :D

spin

p.s. If you only have 2 OUTPUTS, the same deal pretty much applys

Say you have MIDI tracks on Tracks 1 thru 5. And you want to condense them all into 1 WAV. file on track 6. Now I'm assuming you only have 2 outputs (but the same could apply to 8 outputs).

SOLO and assign all tracks (1 through 5) to the same OUTput (PORT) (the 1 stereo output).

Assign Track #6 SOURCE to 1 and 2 IN

go out of the OUT in to the IN

Then, record it...
and...
Voila, Tres manifique. :D

p.p.s. I'm getting sleepy :o , so I hoped I helped you out a bit. :)

Thanks for replying,

What is this "editing program" you keep talking about? If it's something like Cool Edit Pro then I don't have an "editing program."

And for "source" on the MIDI tracks, do I select "-none-" like it originally was or "MIDI Channel whatever"? When I put the "port" of the MIDI tracks to "ISIS 1/2 Analog/SPDIF Playback" - since you said to put it to "1 and 2 OUT" - nothing plays from my amps or my speakers.

Also, how do I know if I have 8 outputs? What does this mean?

You said to arm the audio tracks and set the source to "3 and 4 IN." Do I select "Stereo ISIS 3/4 Analog Record" even if my keyboard audio out is connected to the sound card audio 1 and 2 IN?

- "get your patch cords, and go out of 1 and 2 OUT, into 3 and 4 IN."

What does this mean? Do I send the wires of 1/2 Out of the sound card to 3/4 In of the sound card? Or the mixer? I am confused about the connections. Can you PLEASE tell me how to connect everything (keyboard, mixer, soundcard, amp)?

Also can you tell me exactly what to set up from this list of Sources and Ports for the MIDI and Audio tracks?:

(Sources)
- Left ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 1/2 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 3/4 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Right ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Stereo ISIS 5/6 Analog Record
- Left ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Right ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Stereo ISIS 7/8 Analog/SPDIF Record
- Left MaestroRecord
- Right MaestroRecord
- Stereo MaestroRecord
- MIDI Omni (MIDI)
- MIDI Channels [1-16] (MIDI)

(Ports)
- ISIS 1/2 Analog/SPDIF Playback
- ISIS 3/4 Analog Playback
- Maestro Playback
- 1-Maestro MPU-401 (MIDI)

Also, I already have MIDI tracks that I just want to convert to WAV in Cakewalk. I just want to know what I connect to what (wires) and what I select for Source and Port for each track. Please respond because nothing seems to work (or I don't understand what you're saying).

- Andrew :(

Andrew, well, we are tryin!!

Lets see here: I think you should keep your "source" as 1/2 stereo record for now. Your "port", I would try 1/2 analog spdif out. At least try that for now.

Here is what I suggest:

Answer the following questions, in "yes" or "no" if possible, so we really got all the info.

1: Have you recorded anything in Cakewalk before (like voice or guitar)?

2: Are you sure you know how to arm the track, and does the R button turn red?

3:There are two demos in cakewalk, one is Radio spot, the other is called dont matter. Can you hear them?

4: does your soundcard have a headphone jack?

5: Have you tried hooking up your keyboard directly to the soundcard (inputs 1 and 2), opening a new cakewalk song, and set the source to 1/2 analog in, arming the track, open console view, and just playing the keyboard? Do any Led meters move, or even show up?

As I said before, dont worry about midi right now: If you cant get Cakewalk to record your keyboard live, you gotta get past that before you do anything else. The rest will be easier, just get this done first. Once you get this, turning Midi into WAV is a piece of cake.

1: Have you recorded anything in Cakewalk before (like voice or guitar)?

I've recorded my voice and other wind instruments through the microphone built in my monitor (cheap, yes). But that was before the ISIS sound card.

2: Are you sure you know how to arm the track, and does the R button turn red?

Yes, the R button turns red.

3: There are two demos in cakewalk, one is "Radio Spot," the other is called "Don't Matter." Can you hear them?

I don't have either of those demos, I don't have any demos, they don't seem to install whenever I install Cakewalk.

4: Does your soundcard have a headphone jack?

My sound card has the following jacks:
Line In, Line Out, Stereo, Mic

5: Have you tried hooking up your keyboard directly to the soundcard (inputs 1 and 2), opening a new cakewalk song, and set the source to 1/2 analog in, arming the track, open console view, and just playing the keyboard? Do any Led meters move, or even show up?

I have done that. In fact, I just did it right now, no Led meters move. I am in the console view, and nothing seems to be "alive." The keyboard L/R Audio Outs are plugged into the Sound Card 1/2 Line In (it doesn't say anything about L/R on the external rack). Do I just connect the keyboard to the Sound Card Line In or do I also connect other stuff to the sound card (i.e. mixer, amp, etc.)? The external rack is connected to the computer by a Joystick/MIDI thing and the computer speakers are connected to the actual sound card (built-in the computer - not the external rack - which has the Line Outs, Line Ins, and MIDI I/O.) So basically the only connections that are in use are:

- Keyboard MIDI Out to Sound card MIDI In
- Sound card MIDI Out to Keyboard MIDI In
- Keyboard Audio L/R Out to Sound card Audio 1/2 In

Is anything else supposed to be connected as this point and time? Again, I really appreciate all your help on this huge problem! :)

- Andrew

Back