Cakewalke Home Studio 9 for Home Studio use?

skim

I'm building a small low-budget home studio. I'm planning to purchase a Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO and some decent mics.

I already have a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio 9, and was wondering what audio quality limitations it might pose in creating some decent recordings (compared to, say, Home Studio 2002 XL or Sonar).

Any advice welcome - state your opinions, folks.

Thanks much

Limitation are going to be on the number of tracks you can do pretty much. There are no limits to speak of on SONAR. Some day when I have some money, I will buy it. till then, *sigh* I will use my CW PA9...

Sonar is pretty damn cool but you've got to have the rig to run it.I had my computer built to exceed the recommended specs for pa9 and now it's a little behind the curve for sonar 2.
There's no reason you can't make good recordings with hs9.

Having all kinds of gear is like having all kinds of colors in your pallete...still your skill will determine the quality of the finished product.
I suggest you check this link out and maybe give us more input on what kind of recording you'd like to do.

http://www.cakewalk.com

I use CW HS 2002 and I love it. I can do EVERYTHING I need to do in EVERY recording project that has come up. You just need to know how to use your software.

I used Cakewake Pro Audio 9 for a LOOONG time. I got some amazing stuff out of that app with just a sound blaster live card. Not sure about home studio, though. If it's only gimped by number of tracks I bet you'll be fine (unless you need tons of tracks!)

I have 9.3 (infact you can download free upgrades to 9.3 from the site). I had 9 & upgraded it. I've recorded up to 18 channels/tracks in a song with no prob. Quality is terrific - I'm still learning all there is to do after 2 years.
You'll need to download a VST wrapper (there are a few freee ones online) if you want to use VSTs. there are a few VST that don't work with cake 9 but there are plenty of options anyway. there are a cople of links to the upgrad & wrappers in a previoous thread I dropped into this forum - search & find.
I started with a s/blaster - moved to Santa Cruz & now use an INCA 8i/8o card with 9/9.3. NO PROBS.
Re VST's CW9 doesn't record what store VSTs you've used. It recognises that you had a wrapper on certain tracks but not what so you;ll need to keep a tracking/mixing record of your VST use so that you can save yourself from some grief from short term memory loss.
Try my link to soundclick to get an idea of the number of tracks - I'd like to say & quality but am not self deluding.
Good luck.

I'm building a small low-budget home studio. I'm planning to purchase a Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO and some decent mics.

I already have a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio 9, and was wondering what audio quality limitations it might pose in creating some decent recordings (compared to, say, Home Studio 2002 XL or Sonar).

Any advice welcome - state your opinions, folks.

Thanks much

HS9 has nothing in common with any of the newer Home Studio Products. Home Studio 9 is based on older Pro Audio code.

It will not support WDM, ASIO, DirectX, VST or anything else which is a necessity nowadays.

It will also not run on 2000, XP or Vista as it is over 6 years old.

Save yourself lots of grief and upgrade to the current Sonar Home Studio 6.

Back