Suitable tape for Akai GX370D?

Someone can probably give the exact settings, but you should be right with Maxell 35-90 (the tape that was around when the deck was built) or Quantegy 407. My GX265D sounds great with these tapes, plus Maxell 35-90B.

It also runs 456 nicely but the deck was designed for the thinner tapes so probably best to stick with them. It won't be designed for the higher levels on 456/457 though.

(of course i could alway be wrong, Beck, ARP and cjacek will know!)

Thanx arjoll. No idea where to buy these tapes, but I'll take a look on the Net. If anyone has a service manual for the 370D, I'd happily pay.

Just like arjoll (Andrew) said, you'll do very well with Maxell UD 35-90 or Quantegy 407. Btw, are you sure it's a 370D and not 270D ? I doubt a 370D existed .. :confused:

This is a good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=618&item=4727062037&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or this .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67808&item=5772727428&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also, check the model number of your Akai. I have a superb reproduction service manual for the 270D and I got it from a seller called "techman777" on eBay. They're currently moving their operations but will continue shortly with selling of the manuals. Check them out.

Daniel

cjacek said:
Btw, are you sure it's a 370D and not 270D ? I doubt a 370D existed .. :confused:
There was definately a GX370D, it predated most of the 200 series (including my GX265D and your GX270D) by a few years.

Steven L Bender's pages have a heap of info about Akais, the info on the GX370D is here. I've attached pictures of our three models stolen from this site :)

Cya
Andrew

Attachments

• gx370d.jpg
    gx370d.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
  • gx265d.jpg
    gx265d.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 36
  • gx270d.jpg
    gx270d.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
Oops! My bad, guys ... :o

Still, I feel the Maxell UD 35-90 would be perfect for it but use the Wide Range bias setting for this tape.

~Daniel

Can someone help

I am looking for the owners manual for a Akai GX 265d Reel to Reel
can any help has anyone one that they can PDF me me Thankyou

Akai gx370d

Hi just found and joined this forum this morning when doing some reserch on my AKAI GX370D. Just finding my way around on this site, well it does exist i have one.

Paul

Just like arjoll (Andrew) said, you'll do very well with Maxell UD 35-90 or Quantegy 407. Btw, are you sure it's a 370D and not 270D ? I doubt a 370D existed .. :confused:

This is a good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=618&item=4727062037&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or this .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67808&item=5772727428&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also, check the model number of your Akai. I have a superb reproduction service manual for the 270D and I got it from a seller called "techman777" on eBay. They're currently moving their operations but will continue shortly with selling of the manuals. Check them out.

Daniel

:):):)

Help needed with akai gx 370d

Hi all i inherited this machine some Years ago with about 50 or so tape's but i was short on space so it just stayed packed. I have no manual and the interconnect lead is confusing with the colours and direction etc. The leads are from Cord Company "Chrysalis" , U.K and marked as follows red and black with arrows in the direction of the AkAI, Yellow and blue arrows going in the Pre Amp direction - other end is 5 Pin Din which is the easy bit. I have tried changing them around but no joy. There will be other things to sort out like cleaning the heads etc which could be why changing the leads does not help any. Feel I need to get the basics right and move along the right path. Please remember I know nothing about open reel tape recorders.

Thanks
Paul

:):):)[/QUOTE]

Akai GX-370-D

Am selling my father's deck, as I'm cleaning out my parents' home, since they passed away.

Have many reels of music and such, as well if anyone is interested.

Hi all i inherited this machine some Years ago with about 50 or so tape's but i was short on space so it just stayed packed. I have no manual and the interconnect lead is confusing with the colours and direction etc. The leads are from Cord Company "Chrysalis" , U.K and marked as follows red and black with arrows in the direction of the AkAI, Yellow and blue arrows going in the Pre Amp direction - other end is 5 Pin Din which is the easy bit. I have tried changing them around but no joy. There will be other things to sort out like cleaning the heads etc which could be why changing the leads does not help any. Feel I need to get the basics right and move along the right path. Please remember I know nothing about open reel tape recorders.

Thanks
Paul

:):):)
[/QUOTE]
Did you ever find a manual?

There was definately a GX370D, it predated most of the 200 series (including my GX265D and your GX270D) by a few years.

Back