Tascam us-800

Is this good for drums?

hey,

I have looked at this product and it appears that some of the information is hazy.

My question:

Can i plug in 6 drum mics into this and plug the us 800 into my laptop and then end up with 6 individual tracks in cubase 5 after one take? i really can't be doing multiple takes but i will in the future be using more than 3-4 mics

i have looked everywhere i can and i am not a recording guru so some of the jargon confuses me.

thanks, Adam

and this can be done through the one usb 2.0 port which will be connected to a windows 7 computer?

also would i have to assign each channel to different buses in my laptop?

and you are sure, 6 channels provided through one usb 2.0 port, with a resulting 6 cubase channels for each drum mic used in the one take?

sorry for my skeptical attitude. i have been browsing for hours and i don't want to spend a lot of money on something that wont cater for my needs.

as a side note, which channels have phantom power and if i used dynamic and condenser mics, would the dynamic mics be damaged by the phantom power or is there a way to isolate it to designated channels?

thanks again

and this can be done through the one usb 2.0 port which will be connected to a windows 7 computer?

also would i have to assign each channel to different buses in my laptop?

and you are sure, 6 channels provided through one usb 2.0 port, with a resulting 6 cubase channels for each drum mic used in the one take?

sorry for my skeptical attitude. i have been browsing for hours and i don't want to spend a lot of money on something that wont cater for my needs.

as a side note, which channels have phantom power and if i used dynamic and condenser mics, would the dynamic mics be damaged by the phantom power or is there a way to isolate it to designated channels?

thanks again

Sorry for the delayed response. Got in the middle of something.....

1. Yes.

2. Yes, this is done in VST connections (or whatever your DAW calls input routing) of the DAW you are using.

3. Um, again, yes. 6 completely discrete tracks via USB2.0 into DAW. You could use a preamp like an ART DPSII, that has a digital (Spdif) output, and get 8 mic channels from the Tascam to 8 separate tracks in your computer.

4. No need to apologize. It is good that you are researching and getting clear info.

5. All channels have phantom power. Not selectable between each. On or off for all. Dynamic mics are not affected by phantom power. Some ribbon mics can be damaged by phantom power. It is always advised to turn off phantom power before connecting/disconnecting any mic.

6. You are welcome. :D

Back