Zoom vs. Roland drum machines--any comparisons?

jeffree

Time for me to buy, and my search at this forum reveals that nearly everyone is happy with either of these brands.
I need decent acoustic-kit sounds, nothing more, and am wondering if anyone here has used and compared more than one model to help me choose. As a past drummer, I fully understand the limits of such machines, but they should work well enough for my needs now.

Zooms are much cheaper, so if folks are happy with them, I'll probably go in that direction. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

J.

Roland/Boss is the best way to go. The 770, 660, Dr202 to name a few are excellent models to work with.
If you're near a music retailer, give 'em an audition to determine what's best suited for your needs.

Thanks, Misterqcue. Yeah, I'm planning to audition the Rolands at a local shop, but the Zoomers are absent here.
I really wish I could compare them side by side; short of that, I can ask anyone here at the forum who's used them both... or I suppose I could buy one of each and return the loser, which I've done before effectively with monitors.

Best,
J.

I own the Zoom Rhythmtrak 234 and I like it alot. I have two friends who own the Boss Dr Rhythm (? models) . Mine makes those sound like drum machines. ;) The zoom unit I have has no real preprogramed fills or preset beats, most everything you have to build from scratch, but I am a drummer, which is why that machine appealed to me. It really is easy to use and sounds great. I would go to your local music store and listen to several units, but I never had any problems with Zoom quality.
Doug

Back