Zoom R24 vs Current Setup (should I/Shouldn't I?)

p_wats

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about simplifying my home recording setup. Here's what I've got currently:

- Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire (into Macbook Pro - that's the fallback, workhorse combo)
- Fostex R8 and 812 mixer (for analog flavour)
- Fostex X-26 4-track cassette recorder (demoing backup--bought eons ago and has more sentimental value than anything else)

I've been looking into something portable, but still powerful and noticed the Zoom R16/R24. I have the chance to grab an R24 for $500 used (but still in the box) and am very tempted.

Basically, I'm thinking it could do double duty as an interface (8 in, 2 out--plenty for me) as well as a portable recording device for on location/away from computer stuff. Thus kicking the Multimix and X-26 to the curb (and financing the purchase).

What do you guys think? Am I better saving the cash and sticking with what I've got or should I go for it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey P ..... sounds like you really want to do it. Do you just need a kick in the butt to help persuade your decision? :spank:

:cool:

Hey P ..... sounds like you really want to do it. Do you just need a kick in the butt to help persuade your decision? :spank:

Ha! You may have a point.

Mostly I just want to make sure I'm not giving up a decent setup to learn something new that won't be any better.

I like the idea of being able to take the R24 on location without needing a computer, but the Multimix/Mac combo isn't THAT cumbersome.

Mostly I'd just like to have a good quality option that doesn't require a computer (and more portable than the R8/812).

then just keep what you have and purchase the zoom. ;)

Now there's a thought. In a life devoid of space/money constraints that's exactly what I'd do. In this case I suppose I'll just buy it to compare and see what I need. I can always get what I paid for it if I don't sit on it too long.

Why go used? They sell on Amazon for 499 new, full warranty, return period, Amazon protection (great BTW). R16 is 399.

Can't get both right now? Keep what you have, save up and get the Zoom later, keep an eye on it, chances are the price will only go down, not up.

I'm in Canada, where they retail new for $650 (w/taxes). I could get one shipped from the US, but would still have to pay shipping, brokerage/customs and Ontario taxes upon entry.

Alright gents, I went for it. The seller was great and even gave me a better price/included extras.

My first impressions are good--haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but I'm excited to dive in.

Sounds great P hope it all works out for ya. Been wanting one for myself. I'm envisioning years of fun once I do get one.

Bought an R-16 just to use as a mobile recording device and when I am sitting there just playing. I hit record and use the internal mic's to catch everything I am doing so If I hit soemthing i like its not forgotten the next day. Also they did finally write an x64 driver so it can be used as an interface with 64 bit systems.

I was thinking about the R16, as I don't really know that I need the drum machine/sampler, but the guy I bought the R24 from ended up giving me a better price and throwing some extras in, so I couldn't resist.

I've only had it for a day, but already I'm very happy. I've never owned one piece of gear that could do as much as this can--last night I recorded, overdubbed, edited and mixed down some simple audio using the onboard mics, played around with drum loops, tried it out as a recording interface AND used it to control Reaper (so cool to move faders on the R24 and watch my DAW react...).

All told, I'm very pleased.

I was thinking about the R16, as I don't really know that I need the drum machine/sampler...

Drum machine/sampler in a Zoom R16??? I don't think they have that, do they? No mention of it in any of the literature I have seen.

Drum machine/sampler in a Zoom R16??? I don't think they have that, do they? No mention of it in any of the literature I have seen.

No, no, the R16 doesn't have a sampler/drum machine. The R24 does, but I wasn't sure if I needed them as features anyway.

I think, thus, I'll take my own advice and keep an eye on them myself, if the price does drop I may get one meself. The Fostex is nice for quick and dirty stuff, but being able to use the all in one as an interface too would be great. I did not know the faders controlled the DAW.

I think, thus, I'll take my own advice and keep an eye on them myself, if the price does drop I may get one meself. The Fostex is nice for quick and dirty stuff, but being able to use the all in one as an interface too would be great. I did not know the faders controlled the DAW.

Good idea. I've been looking to simplify my setup lately and we're doing some travelling recording next month, so this was the way to go, but if you've got time to wait I'm sure you'll get a great deal.

Back