Zoom R24 track synchronization

GiacomoDiaz

Using Zoom R24, with REC MODE set to 'Always New', I found that WAV files of tracks of the same Project but taken at different times contain a silent region from the beginning of the project timeline to the actual time at which they were recorded. So, for example, a WAV file with just 1 minute of music recorded 30 minutes after the start of the project timeline, even after stopping and restarting the recording several times, contains 30 minutes of silence followed by 1 minute of music. I think it's due to the synchronization of tracks, but I wonder if, within the same Project, it is somehow possible to avoid this synchronization and get separate WAV files containing only the actual recordings. Or do I have to open a new project for each registration?

Maintaining sync is precisely what you are seeing. The only way to insure that the files are all in sync would be to pad the recording to make sure that everything lines up. Remember, the idea is that you can also dump the files into something like Cubase. If the file only had 1 minute of audio, how would you make the track sync up with the rest of the tracks? There is nothing else in the project that can tell other programs where to put that snippet of sound in relation to the rest of the song.

Say you did a punch in of a guitar solo to close out the song. If it only gave you that minute, and you pulled the tracks into a DAW, your solo would be at the beginning of the song, totally out out place.

If you're doing a different song, then you should open a new project. If you are still working on the same song, then remain in the project.

Thank you for your response. We were recording rehearsals of different songs within the same project, along an entire evening, and this produced quite long and mostly 'empty' WAV files. I now understand that we must open new projects for each song.

Is it a problem that you have large files of empty space? It's not like you're wasting a $350 reel of 2" tape? A Sandisk 32GB SD card is a whopping $10.

If you're just recording individual songs, that's fine. Doing separate projects is the right way to go. If you're actually recording rehearsals, I would think the preferred means would be to set everything up, set levels, hit record and let it run! I have recorded 6 hour jam sessions on a single 16GB SD card with my R24. There were often channels which had zero content. When I put it into Reaper, I just cut out whatever wasn't needed.

Back