Zoom R24 Reverb

LindsayC

I am hoping someone may be able to assist or enlighten me. As a very satisfied long time user of Zoom HD16, some time ago I updated to the Zoom R24, which I confess has sat in a cupboard as there were features that my original Zoom offered that did not appear to be available on the later model. One of those issues is the ability to add reverb to an already recorded track (take). Can anyone tell if this can be achieved and provide some guidance as to how to go about it please?

Are you trying permanently imprint the reverb onto the track, or just add it for mixdown? It's a trivial matter to add an effect like reverb to an already recorded track that was recorded dry. Adding effects is in the manual around page 75-80.

I don't tend to work this way, but you can bounce a track to a new track number, like moving from track 1 to track 8. Typically, it's used to combine multiple tracks into 1 or 2, but there is no reason you couldn't specify a single track. Try adding the effect to a track (pre master of course) and bounce it to another location. Look at the section on bouncing in the manual. Page 43. I think there is even an option to overwrite the original version which would simply add the effect, but that seems a bit risky, as there's no way to go back if you aren't satisfied with the result.

When it comes to mixdown, I simply copy the raw tracks to Reaper on my computer and do the mixing there, although I have done a few mixes in the unit. I just fine the Reaper to be easier to adjust things.

Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you.

I gave it test this morning, and yes, you can add an effect when you bounce tracks. I recorded to Track 3 completely dry, then for playback, I hit EFFECT, INSERT, set to ON, Input SRC to TRACK 3, then EDIT and move to REVERB and set to ON, choose the reverb of your choice and set level to your taste. Then hit EDIT twice and you should now hear reverb on playback of Track 3.

Now select BOUNCE, Set TRACK 3 (or whatever your track is) to PLAY and select another track and set to REC. Now when you press PLAY/REC you will begin recording from Track 3 to Track 8 with reverb added. Unfortunately it has to be done in real time, as opposed to the Swap feature which is instantaneous.

Here's the quick recording I did, with the first half taken from Track 3 and the second half from Track 8 (with reverb).

View attachment Add Reverb to R24 on bounce.mp3

Are you trying permanently imprint the reverb onto the track, or just add it for mixdown? It's a trivial matter to add an effect like reverb to an already recorded track that was recorded dry. Adding effects is in the manual around page 75-80.

I don't tend to work this way, but you can bounce a track to a new track number, like moving from track 1 to track 8. Typically, it's used to combine multiple tracks into 1 or 2, but there is no reason you couldn't specify a single track. Try adding the effect to a track (pre master of course) and bounce it to another location. Look at the section on bouncing in the manual. Page 43. I think there is even an option to overwrite the original version which would simply add the effect, but that seems a bit risky, as there's no way to go back if you aren't satisfied with the result.

When it comes to mixdown, I simply copy the raw tracks to Reaper on my computer and do the mixing there, although I have done a few mixes in the unit. I just fine the Reaper to be easier to adjust things.

Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you.
I gave it test this morning, and yes, you can add an effect when you bounce tracks. I recorded to Track 3 completely dry, then for playback, I hit EFFECT, INSERT, set to ON, Input SRC to TRACK 3, then EDIT and move to REVERB and set to ON, choose the reverb of your choice and set level to your taste. Then hit EDIT twice and you should now hear reverb on playback of Track 3.

Now select BOUNCE, Set TRACK 3 (or whatever your track is) to PLAY and select another track and set to REC. Now when you press PLAY/REC you will begin recording from Track 3 to Track 8 with reverb added. Unfortunately it has to be done in real time, as opposed to the Swap feature which is instantaneous.

Here's the quick recording I did, with the first half taken from Track 3 and the second half from Track 8 (with reverb).

View attachment 133418

I sat down to it yesterday and figured it out exactly as you have detailed. Yes, my requirement was simply to add reverb ahead of the mixdown, which was a very simple operation with my HD16, although in fairness having produced some 80 odd projects, I was quite familiar with all aspects of the older model and probably expected the R24 to be set up in similar fashion. Anyway, thanks a lot for the prompt response, I am very grateful.

Back