Zoom R16 - maximum continuous recording time?

Allerdown

I have had my R16 for some years now but have usually recorded takes of no more than an hour. But recently I found myself having to make a continuous recording in excess of 2 hours.

Embarrassingly, in the middle of the concert, it stopped recording at exactly 2 hours, to the second. (Luckily I had a reasonable backup recording running as well)

Back home, I replicated the exact mic set up (in case that was affecting things, but I don't think it was) and set it recording. Again it stopped at exactly 2 hours. To clarify, it dropped out of record (the record light went out) and although it continued to run forward, no sound was recorded to the SD card after 2 hours. It was running in 24 bit mode, and there was plenty of space on the SD card.

Is this a known effect please? Is there any way to override it?

Thank you - Mike -

I have an R24 and with a 16GB card I have recorded 6 hours of 7 channels - 44/16 audio. It all depends on your SD card. The files were 1.8GB each. Total size of 12.4GB. The jam started around 7pm. We finished at 1am when I hit the stop button. Interestingly it took a bit to finalize all the files and shut down. Note the time stamps!

6hr recording.jpg

What size SD card did you use?

I did however find a reference in the specification to a limit of 1GB for the R16 per track. That would be 200 minutes with 16 bit, or 133 minutes of 24 bit recording. Page 96 of the manual. However, the same spec is noted in the R24 manual, and clearly I have been able to exceed that. Perhaps there was a change in one of the updates. Maybe that spec refers to 200minutes per 1GB, so a 16GB should yield 6 hours.

You might check to see if you have the latest firmware version.

Last edited:
Thanks TalismanRich - Although at 16 GB the original card should have been adequate, I changed to a different SD card (32 GB instead of 16) and the R16 is happily running a test recording (3 hrs 45 mis so far). I'll leave it going until it fills the card, then try and see if there's any difference I can find between them (other than size!).

If I find anything of note, I'll post back.

Thanks very much for the mental dynarod - I hadn't considered the card as a possible problem, and I should have done.

- Mike -

Back