Zoom H6 for studio-quality live performance recordings

Ukiah Bass

Zoom has a new low-cost "handy" recording device out called the H6. It includes four XLR/1/4" low-noise inputs, a high quality XY stereo mic, and a Mid-Side mic. An optional plug-in adds two more XLR/1/4" jacks for a total of six synchronized inputs, which can feed signals from mixers, DIs, amps, and microphones.

Up 'till now I've been recording rehearsals and gigs with a 2-channel stereo field recorder and a stereo mic mounted in front of the band. It provided decent recordings but there was no control over individual instrument sound levels/processing or audience noise. The H6 totally transforms possibilities for studio-quality live performance recordings. I used it for the first time at a jazz winery gig on Friday. In the sample gig recording just below, the 3 direct inputs include a feed from the guitar's amp (post effects; sorry, his noise gate was a bit off in this example), a WAV loop with rhythm guitar (also projected to the audience through the PA), and a REDDI feeding the dry bass signal from my fretless Rob Allen Deep 4. I mixed and mastered the files in the Presonus Studio One DAW. I then inserted the processed WAV file into Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum and synchronized it with video feeds from two cameras and random environmental takes I shot during a break.

Sample Gig Recording
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IFmE4ToIhc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUT0AJR2GAhOI4rDSPPkAvAQ

I'm very excited about the possibilities for quality field recordings with the H6. Here is more info, including video demos:

Zoom H6 fact sheets, videos
H6 | ZOOM

Independent sound tests/videos on the H6

Zoom H6 – Acoustic Guitar Shootout | Homebrewed Music

Zoom H6 vs RME UFX | Homebrewed Music

Zoom H6 MS Noise Issue | Homebrewed Music

Video review of Zoom H6, Juiced Link RM33, and Tascam DR-60D
Zoom H6 Review/Tests/Comparison to Tascam DR-60D and Riggy-Micro - YouTube

Discussion thread on Gearslutz.com
Zoom H6 Announced - Gearslutz.com

item_feature_10025_4077.jpg

Back