Zoom H4N and Cubase

Mosqito

Nightmare.

First of all, I once again gave FL studio a try since I see a lot of people praising it, but the way to record vocals there is just ridiculous and to get my mic working seems to be impossible.

Anywa, about Cubase and zoom h4n.

I remember I used to use Cubase a year ago with my zoom and it all worked fine, somehow I got the mic to work and the audio came out of m headphones not the zoom itself.

But now, it seems that I can only get the sound in cubase to come out of my Zoom h4n speaker, and nowhere else. Besides, the mic lvl is set on 60 and still I am getting a tiny bit of audio on the recording sheet, barely can be seen. Something is messed up, and being a novice its very frusturating when you follow many youtube tutorials on how to connect the mic, and nothing really works as you want.

I got Windows 7
I got asio4all drivers. ( I had one , and hwne nothing worked i uninstaled and got another version of it judging by the different interface)

Anyway, Im puzled here, give me some helping hand here.

Summary:

I get audio signal, but it seems to be a bit week and any sound happening in Cubase is coming out of my Zoom h4n inbuilt speakers.

Go into the menu anjd turn the speaker off. If that doesn't work, there may be a problem with the unit. Enabling the speaker disables the headphone jack.- Just a thought.

Well, I tried to disable the onboard speakers for Zoom h4n, but didnt manage to. I honestly dont thing its the case, maybe I should reinstall everything or try Cubase 4.
My zoom is in good condition and it does work with audacity and Reaper without problems, and as I mentioned it did work once with Cubase just fine.

Regardless, I wanted to try Pro tools, but didn't manage to open the trial since Ilok gave me authorization problems (which many have with this product as I googled) and after 1h of trying to set it right, still no luck on passing the launch error of missing license or w/e.

Then I started to read up on other daws and I tried out REAPER, and it has not given me any problems so far. Installed/launched and here I am playing around with my first recording in this DAW.

I would still love to get the Cubase working, for one to understand what's the problem. But Id like to know if this "Reaper" is as good as Cubase when it comes to recording vocals to a beat or any other sound and then polishing it Compression/reverb/deeser/autotune etc. And does it stack up in general?
Im rather new to Daw's, and one might say that any daw would do the job more or less if I know how to use it. (true) BUT, I would hate to learn on something that is not going to last, and that is going to stop me in my tracks in future and force me to begin learning another Daw. For example; ACID seems to be discontinued, and that is a very bad thing for someone who has just started out in audio and invests his time in something that will not get updates in future.

One small thing I want to mention about Reaper is that I have to put my Mic level on Zoom h4n on around 80 to get the same volume in recording as I get in Audacity with the Mic lvl of 20. And unaltered audio (no effects added) do sound different in Audacity and Reaper. Makes me wonder, if Reaper is using some default compressor/denoiser or whatever, when doing a recording and if its possible to remove it or adjust it.

p.s

I apologies for cramming other rather lengthy issues in this thread. I'm chaotic in writing.

I don't know if this helps, but I've been recording with my H4N, then importing my .wav files into Cubase SE (2004 version). I find I don't get any humming I used to get from using mics and cables thru a board. I then just sync up my tracks and edit accordingly.
Tony

Back