Zoom H2n for home studio

ultrasound

im a poor unemployed student on a budget trying my best to do home recordings to build up a portfolio and practice music production.

im thinking of going ahead and buying a decent condenser microphone for like £200 or so.

thing is, i have this Zoom H2n kicking around that i used for a university project. do you think this would be good enough for my studio for recording guitars, vocals and amplifiers. or will a proper condenser microphone do a much better job?

what you think?

I think the H2N will be on point with a cheap condenser. The thing is you may eventually need more channels in that case you may need to get more mics. The guitarist in my band has an H4n that he uses for demos. We used to use it as an interface and it was limited but definitely not shabby.
This may be of some help to you: Zoom H2N

hey. i dont think ill need more channels because its just me on my own recording everything. what money value of condenser mic do you think the zoom is comparable to?

Its hard to put a monetary value on a mic. Different mics serve different purposes. For example I would rather use my SM57 on a distorted guitar amp than my Neumann KM 84. The Neumann is worth about 10 times as much but for a distorted amp the SM57 sounds better. I have no experience with the H2n but I have been very impressed with the H4n and with my Samson C01. Eventually you may want to add new mics to your palate but I would say that you should stick with the H2n until you feel the need to upgrade.

hey thanks for your help folks it is much appreciated.

The H2n also has a line in so you could use a separate mic with a preamp in the future if you want.

i also have a computer with pro tools and all the rest. im just asking about using the zoom h2n as a substitute for a proper condenser microphone.

ok now I get what you are saying. The H2n has decent internal mics. Are they as good as a 200 pound/roughly 320 dollar mic? Probably not.

Back