Zoom F6

Orson

Has anybody out there got any experience of the Zoom F6 sound recorder? I was wondering how quiet they thought the pre-amps are on this device?

I have had the F8n for over 2 years (? - last year is hard to count), and the F8 before that. Gain (75dB) and EIN (-127dB) specs are the same (F8n vs F6) and I believe they are essentially the same preamps.

I only used the F8n briefly at home, i.e., where I have treatment and some control over sound, but any noise in my space heard in that was always ambient, and in actual live use, preamp noise is never anything you'd need to worry about. They are effectively silent IMO, but my ears are long past the point of hearing everything. Now, it *is* a field recorder and not targeted at home recording, overdubbing, and that sort of thing, so if that's what you want, I'd look elsewhere.

Never used the F6 but I'm a fan of Zoom recorders since the first H2 I got a decade ago.

No I want a field recorder Keith and I do need quiet pre-amps for the use I need it for. I want good recorded sound for a new venture. I want to hear only what I record. Non music, nature and even some foley recordings.

No I want a field recorder Keith and I do need quiet pre-amps for the use I need it for. I want good recorded sound for a new venture. I want to hear only what I record. Non music, nature and even some foley recordings.
The Sound Devices MixPre-6 II is the only thing really equivalent without getting into their really expensive stuff. Its specs are pretty similar, though you'll be down a couple mic pres.

I know I could not hear these differences.

Noise is -128dBu (vs -127), Gain is 76dB (vs 75dB).

The MixPre has a lot more headroom if you're needing that (and the mics you use capable of providing that output), +14dBu (vs +4dBu), but that would be an extremely loud noise into a pretty sensitive mic. Still, if you need it, you need it.

Both are 32-bit capable.

It will be a new venture Keith. At present still undecided but leaning very much that way. The Mix Pre 3 is still £200+ more expensive than the F6 so I am at a wonder what I am getting extra for that cash besides a name?

Would these recorders be as quiet as a studio interface?

Last edited:
Back