Zombie Girlfriend -- Need help with mix!

santiu

Rock-scientist
Hey all. Got another one here. This one is a pretty straight ahead (and short) rock piece, but the mix just isn't quite there in my ears. I'm not sure what to do about it though, so any help on the mix would be super greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hey, fun song. I'm no pro here, so take this with a grain of salt.... I think the vox needs a little more work to get it to fit in. I bet if you played just the backing tracks, it sounds pretty good. I think the vox sounds too nasally and needs more compression to even it out.

I'm curious how it would sound with a double tracked rhythm guitar. Separate them a bit to add more space. Nice tone on the guitars, what are you playing there?

Cheers,

Sounds pretty good actually.

Maybe add some more reverb to and scale back the lead a little during the solo so that it sits better in the mix.

Otherwise, I can't really suggest any improvements. (Probably because I'm not all that competent, but hey! That's what most of your fans will be anyway! :D )

Cool song, man :D
Agree with Chili about the voice, it sounds too much on top of everything, it should sink more into the mix. I think compression would help the drums too. Bass seems to lack a little low end. Nice vocal harmonies and guitar work.

Cheers
Joe :)

vox need more compression, and guitars need to be a little more present. Not bad though, more bottom on the entire mix would be nice as well. Not bad.

Fuck man, what a cool song. Love it.

Yeah the mix needs some bottom end and the vocals are kind of boxy. The drums don't sound great, but they fit this song really well being all out of phase sounding and shit. Fix the vox and get some bass in there.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've uploaded a new version here:

Had to mix on my headphones since it's early and roommates are still asleep, so bass might be a bit over the top. Just FYI, this is just a three piece band (guitar, drums, keys), so the bass is a bit hard to mix on it's own since it's stuck together with the keys, but i tried a couple tricks. Rhythm gtr, keys, and drums were all tracked together to try to give more of a live sound (this is for a demo).

Chili, guitar is a PRS McCarty Hollowbody through some pedals (don't know what as I'm not the guitarist, but i know there's an analogman tube screamer in there) and into a fender hot rod delux mic'd with an ND468.

Thanks again you guys for the comments. They were super helpful. I'm still having some trouble with getting the vocals to sound right, but i think it's closer this time.

Last edited:
Back