Zombie Apocalypse Love Song - "Something It's Not"

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
I had an interesting opportunity with a client the other day. He came in, wanted to record a song as fully produced as he could. It was just he and I, and we had about 4.5 hours to get it done from start to end.

Lucky for me, he was a great singer, and had an open mind as far as production went. He came in with an acoustic guitar, lyrics, melody, chord progression, and vocals. The rest came about by collaborating with me in the studio.

One of the funnest sessions I've had to date.

Anyway, I present to you, "Something It's Not" (The Zombie Love Song) by Cody Kunz.

Comments on anything are welcomed. The mix is basically final, unless I've missed something horrendous. Thanks in advance for the listen.

(lyrics below)

I don’t want to make this something it's not
It's only you keepin us on the rocks
We're both in danger, danger
out of the dark
am I a stranger, stranger
to your heart

Is it me baby please come look at this
Does the news want to prove we're idiots?
This isn't dooms day, just cause there's blood on the moon
I hope i didn't speak to soon

I can’t' believe people think this is serious
It’s just a trick, just some kids out scaring us
lock the front door and don't let anyone in
the hair is standing in my skin.

Chorus

I don't want to make this something it's not
it's only you keepin us on the rocks
we're both in danger, danger
out of the dark
to your heart

don't want to make this something that it's not
it's only you who's keepin us on the rocks
we're both in danger, danger
out of the dark
to your heart

I think your Dad just attacked our mailman
I called the cops but the cops ain't answerin
Mr. Valentine just tried to bite his wife
I think it's time to close the blinds

your gonna want more than mace and a fryin pan
here's a knife and a gun for your other hand
we can make it if we fight through the night
it's our only chance to leave alive

Chorus(repeat)

Bridge
And when they come for me
leave my body behind
and she screams through her teeth
as she runs for her life
and i knew from the start
this is how it would end
but it's breaking her heart
that I die so she lives
so she lives
to love again

Chorus( repeat and close)

Last edited:
I thought it was real good. I liked the song. Real good singing. I liked the drums - I think you can nudge up the OH's and maybe the kick.

Sounds like there's a little buildup of "stuff" around maybe 1500hz or so. Something about that is annoying my ears a bit.

Personal taste thing - but i thought there was too much reverb. Too "big" for this type of song.

Small things. Nice job.

The end is really crankin, nice job, sounds great.

My only nit would be that the bass may be a bit indistinct.

Overall great mix, great sound. Really enjoyed it.

Very nice and clear mix! I love how the vocals sit - up front and clear but not too loud. Great job overall. My only complaint is that the acoustic guitars sound a little thin. I think they could use just a hair more beef, and then be turned down lower into the mix. Just me nit-picking though, as I prefer darker guitar sounds overall. Absolutely awesome job, sir.

My wife just watched The Walking Dead season 2 for the third time so Zombie humour is where my head is.
Good vocal level. bass could use a little more definition other wise nice one PI.

Wow Nice tune! I listen on headphones and the kick fills my head. I don't know if that is good or bad personally I would prefer a little less and a bit more snare. I think the acoustic guitars and vocals are good. What is cutting through the middle of the mix, keys, slide making that erie sounds. I'd buy that for a dollar...

Sounds a little harsh in the upper mids to me. You seriously over "mastered" it in my opinion. It's way squashed and two-dimensional. It's not a loudness thing, it's just bad squashing. And in usual over-squashing fashion, the drums have gotten murdered by guitars and vocals. The kick and bass are mashed together in a big fluff of huge low end. It's all massive low end and sizzly upper mids and highs. I think it's tracked well, and maybe even mixed well, but the pseudo-mastering has ruined it IMO.

I like the tune. Catchy. I don't know enough to comment on the "mastering". I'd like to hear the alternative so maybe I could tell the difference.

Ha!

Brilliant tune! very catchy liked the different layers in it...I read the other comments, I dont have the best listening environment but it sounds good to me..I do get what Gregs saying, Id maybe just tame the compression...

I really like the guys voice, very good for 4 hours mate :)

I'm no mixologist :-) but I've heard about bussing the kick and bass together to get a punchy effect - not sure if you've tried this. Sounds like it could be a cool thing to try.
Overall I think you did a great job for 4.5 hours work. It helps when the performer has the arrangement down as you're just adding stuff. You pulled off what - bass, guitar, keys, and drums as producer? Very impressive!
What are you using to master your tracks? Are you mastering the stereo mix? Still working in Linux?

Wow. This sounds really well put together arrangement-wise, especially given how quickly you put it together.

I think the vocals got captured really well. I like the snare, but the kick is not as clear to me as it seems like it should be. The cymbals seem a little lacking in mids - thin sounding maybe?Really though - it's very complete sounding as a song, and I think you did a great job with your additions.

Back