Zeppelin cover

This is a very interesting thread. I read all the posts before listening to the file and there are some great points.

normally i would disagree with RAMI's initial point. this forum is about recording and not playing ability or chops per se. on the other hand part of the recording process is making sure the parts are presentable.

if youre gonna post a led zeppelin tune in public you have to understand that youre treading on hallowed ground and you WILL be judged on your ability not just to record but to play and sing the parts as well.

this mixing clinic is quite a bit slower than i expected for the number of members and the amount of traffic. quite a few files arent getting responses at all. it seems like if you tell certain people what you hear right away - big issues with their recording that are relatively easy to fix - theyll throw a tantrum and try to shut you down.

is it worth it to critique tunes in here? or is it just a hassle? i think a lot of people are listening to files but not posting opinions because theyre afraid of being attacked.

theres always a tendency to have cliques of people congratulating each other and patting each other on the back and real critique can be discouraged.

now about this file... it sounds like a first attempt to record and thats fine. it sounds like cheap mics and very little preparation and thats fine too because thats probably where youre at right now.

RAMI, YOU'RE SUCH A DICK!!!!

No, not at all.

I'll say this, though...the next time I post a thread in the clinic, I'm going to make it absolutely clear that I want nothing but compliments, lol.

BUT BACK to the thread. My biggest nit is with the mix involves the vocals. It's what I usually focus on. They're too upfront. I don't mean they're too loud, I mean they're too "in your face" with respect to placement. You can get away with a pretty huge reverb on the vocal for this cover, and you should use it.

Also, cut some of the lows out of the vocals. It'll help give them that overly shrill Plant-like quality. :D

I dig your version....agree the vocals may be a bit to much up front and in a diffrent place then the instruments, but I think the singing /vocals had a cool vibe to them. Great guitar solo in the middle of the tune...

i listened to...

The 23
John Henry Bonham
Drum Outtakes

http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

the other day and its pretty amazing stuff. huge drums. big and fluffy sounds.

it seems like theres very little energy in the sludge range, no proximity effect

it seems to me that if i used drum sounds like this in a file i posted here i would get comments like "drums need more punch"

i have been working on this problem for years. ever since i got rid of my drumset and started working with sampled drums. most samples are close-miked with tons of proximity effect. they put the capsule 1/4" or so off the drum head. i wouldnt stick my ear that close to listen to drums and i dont think thats where the best sound is.

even the expensive bragged-about sample sets make me cringe.

i listen to my favorite music and the drums sound a lot different from available samples.

what i do now is try to cut out the proximity effect with parametric eq and add harmonic distortion to try to simulate the distortion they used to get with recording hot onto tape. you know these bonham tracks were recorded very hot so theres a lot of harmonic distortion in these sounds.

adding harmonic distortion seems to gut the low end further and can yield these big fluffy sounds.

at least something more similar.

this mixing clinic is quite a bit slower than i expected for the number of members and the amount of traffic. quite a few files arent getting responses at all.

True, but you get what you give. This clinic used to be extremely busy, but there were still only like 20 people critiquing regularly. The difference between then and now (I think) is that we seem to have more drive-bys. You can't just put up a thread with a title like "My First Recording Ever" and expect a lot of feedback if you haven't spent time here listening to horrible pieces of shit recordings and giving your opinion on those horrible pieces of shit recordings. :D

ha ha thats great. i always refer to my files in terms of feces because i know thats what they amount to.

pieces of crap.

i was tempted to use that terminology in this thread but i dont want to stomp on budding talent that way. you never know...

i purposely looked for unresponded to threads last night and i heard some really polished stuff. yipes. i felt like saying man you know this stuff is good already... a heck of a lot better than i expected. maybe thats why they didnt get responses cause its a little intimidating to hear something polished.

..... maybe thats why they didnt get responses cause its a little intimidating to hear something polished.[/QUOTE said:
Boy do I feel better now! I only got one response from anybody,, my turd must be polished!!

JasonBird

Back