zany drummer

emomusician

hey, dilemma..

i'm the frontman for a southernrock/punk/hardcore band.
our drummer plays a black and red ddrum set. he wants something new.
take into account he is the rebellious (do the opposite of what you should do) guy of the band.
he first wanted a really nice gretsch set.. but some dunder head talked him out of it.. then he wanted a sonor kit, like an old one he used to have.... then some other dunder head talked him into pearl.. which is fine.. but... here's the thing.

He's now dead set on getting this low end pearl set.. for only one reason..

double bass.

#1. we don't play music that warrants having something like that
#2. on the same token it looks stupid for the music we play
#3. he's not good enough to have one

now, we are getting into arguments.. because all I have asked is that he not take the 2nd drum to shows. Simply because in the "scene" we are in.. people will poke fun at us for having such a big drum set for such simple music. it just looks ridiculous..

is that too much to ask?

new drummer

what a coinkydink! I'm the front man from a ska/celtic/electronica band!!!

sounds to me like you need a new drummer if you're serious about being a working band... there's a business aspect to being in a band, and the business requires you maintain your credibility with your audience.

NOt time for a new drummer. Time for new priorities.

Sorry man but your priorities reflect a concern of your band’s image over the music itself. Who gives a fvck about a-holes that poke fun at your band because of the drum set? Anyone who does that doesn’t know shit about music. There are plenty of drummers using 2 BDs in that genre. So they say something because your drummer breaks the norm? Ignoring the norm is an important factor in punk/hardcore and good art in general. Very little has been accomplished by people who are overly concerned about norms and other people’s ill-informed opinions. Would punk rock even exist if people cared about what other's thought?

Now, if the drummer doesn’t sound good, that is a more legit issue in my book. If he refuses to play what the music calls for then that person needs to learn to set aside his pride and desire to show off or whatever and make decisions based on what the music needs. If he can’t do that then find a new drummer.

Last edited:
what is it that he's unhappy about with his current set? if he doesn't think the sound is good enough, he's certainly not going to get a better sound out of any low-end kit.

you should try to get him to go audition some stuff until he finds the sound he likes, and if he can buy a high-end 5-pc for what he'd spend on the giant low-end kit that still sounds horrible, maybe that would convince him?

and why not just buy a double kick pedal??? no worries about accurately matching the tuning and feel, which is no small feat on two kick drums, ESPECIALLY cheap ones! also, lugging around a drum set to gigs is a royal pain to begin with, and he wants to lug 2 kicks???

perhaps you should start searching for a dunder head who will talk him out of this one too, since he puts so much faith in them for his decision making. :D

Glad you guys don't see this as such a terrible request. I posted this on another forum and got flamed to death.

there are alot of angles this could go..

the practicality of it..
the costs of buying, replacing heads, getting cymbals, and having to tweak it to make it sound decent vs. buying a nice single bass kit that doesn't need anything but cymbals.
venues don't have room, and how are you gonna get it there, and you WILL get tired of setting all that junk up.

I don't think I need to even take it further than that to convince him.

most of the people I know who have double kits.. have a guy who sets them up for them..and they play for more than 150-200 people at a show.

I had to give up the idea of using 2 kicks and I fought it for as long as I could. My main feeling was that it gave a sense of symmetry to the kit. It gave it a nice center point to attack the drums from.

But in reality its quite impractical in todays scene, especially with the equipment that's available. There are double kick pedal engineered to the heights that have the same speed and balance as two separate pedals on two separate drums. Not to mention you don't have to waste precious time getting the two kicks to the same pitch all around. And then there's the cou de gras! You don't have to lug that 2nd drum around...the HEAVY one.:)

While I still love the look of a double bass kit, it just isn't practical and, dare I say "appropriate" for certain images. Not to mention if you can't play double bass, why have one?

hey, dilemma..

i'm the frontman for a southernrock/punk/hardcore band.
our drummer plays a black and red ddrum set. he wants something new.
take into account he is the rebellious (do the opposite of what you should do) guy of the band.
he first wanted a really nice gretsch set.. but some dunder head talked him out of it.. then he wanted a sonor kit, like an old one he used to have.... then some other dunder head talked him into pearl.. which is fine.. but... here's the thing.

He's now dead set on getting this low end pearl set.. for only one reason..

double bass.

#1. we don't play music that warrants having something like that
#2. on the same token it looks stupid for the music we play
#3. he's not good enough to have one

now, we are getting into arguments.. because all I have asked is that he not take the 2nd drum to shows. Simply because in the "scene" we are in.. people will poke fun at us for having such a big drum set for such simple music. it just looks ridiculous..

is that too much to ask?

One of the bands I play in is a Beatles band and up until fairly recently our drummer would bring his kit to even the smallest of gigs with his full wrap around rack enclosure thing (I know there must be a name for it} I always thought it was out of context and inappropriate, but the band is good, hes a great drummer and showman we always get the place hopping so it never really became too great an issue. If the music is good and the audience gets into it, dont stress this one. Just means theres less room for you on stage. Most audiences wouldnt know the diff anyway and would probably find it novel.But if your guitarist decides he wants the sound of a triple marshall stack then post another one here and we will sort him out :)

[/QUOTE] Simply because in the "scene" we are in.. people will poke fun at us for having such a big drum set for such simple music. it just looks ridiculous..

is that too much to ask?[/QUOTE]

You are the biggest faggot for having that reasoning. You should die for that. You only care about your image? i know your music sucks because you like emo shit. Emo is in your name. Fag. You're a faggot. I don't think you should be in any bands ever if you just care about the way the people will think about your stuff. Fuck you. You're wrong.

Simply because in the "scene" we are in.. people will poke fun at us for having such a big drum set for such simple music. it just looks ridiculous..

You are the biggest faggot for having that reasoning. You should die for that. You only care about your image? i know your music sucks because you like emo shit. Emo is in your name. Fag. You're a faggot. I don't think you should be in any bands ever if you just care about the way the people will think about your stuff. Fuck you. You're wrong.[/QUOTE]

oooops...this might be the guys drummer!:eek::eek::eek:

Simply because in the "scene" we are in.. people will poke fun at us for having such a big drum set for such simple music. it just looks ridiculous..

You are the biggest faggot for having that reasoning. You should die for that. You only care about your image? i know your music sucks because you like emo shit. Emo is in your name. Fag. You're a faggot. I don't think you should be in any bands ever if you just care about the way the people will think about your stuff. Fuck you. You're wrong.[/QUOTE]

I guess the firewall at Shortbus Elementary School does not filter out certain words.

........i know your music sucks because you like emo shit.

There is NOTHING I hate more than stepping in EMU SHIT !!!! So anyone that likes it MUST be a faggot!

yeah i was in a band with a guy who had one of those gibralter rack things and it was a total nightmare to lug around! ugh! i agree with drossfile, it's gonna be a total pain to carry around a second kick and a second pedal on a better kit might be just the compromise you're looking for.

Glad you guys don't see this as such a terrible request. I posted this on another forum and got flamed to death.

there are alot of angles this could go..

the practicality of it..
the costs of buying, replacing heads, getting cymbals, and having to tweak it to make it sound decent vs. buying a nice single bass kit that doesn't need anything but cymbals.
venues don't have room, and how are you gonna get it there, and you WILL get tired of setting all that junk up.

I don't think I need to even take it further than that to convince him.

most of the people I know who have double kits.. have a guy who sets them up for them..and they play for more than 150-200 people at a show.

You didn't get flamed to death. You went to a drummer's forum and asked a question to a bunch of people who are drummers. Not only that, you asked for a group consensus.

First of all, if you're the leader of a band, you make the decisions. You don't need to ask for help. You came off like a girly-man on the drum forum. That's why you got the responses that you did.

You told us all that you wanted the drummer to get a kit that YOU wanted. Then you told us it's all about looks. No matter what band you play with, the very least of your concerns should be about looks. Like the overweight drummer for Korn. Who gives a care about how he looks. He's stompin'.

Your past triumphs mean nothing when you are starting fresh.

Then you even go so far as to insult the drummer, telling us he's not with it mentally. Seriously, you should be ashamed of yourself. Are you a man or a boy?

That's why you got the reaction you did. I'm sorry that your drummer bowed to your will.

First of all, if you're the leader of a band, you make the decisions. You don't need to ask for help..

My guess, from this response, is that you haven't been in many bands - and further, that you've never been the leader of an even moderately successful one.

With an attitude like that, the only band you're going to lead is the one-man variety.

As far as I'm concerned, if the drummer is a decent drummer he / she can use whatever kit he / she is willing to carry around, set up, break down, and position mics for.

If the guy wants to use a double-bass kit, so be it. He doesn't have to get a cheap kit to have two bass drums. :confused:

At some point he'll run into space limitations or maybe just get tired of hauling it all around. Maybe not though.

Is the drummer telling your guitarists what kind of rig they should be using? :confused:

Back