YSM-1 users

Son of Mixerman

Mix Junior
Im trying to see if anyone who uses or has used the YSM-1 monitors have had problems of muddy mixes? I got some mixes that are muddy and Im trying to if the monitors have a reputation for 200hz to 300Hz range being problematic?

SoMm

i've had problems in the past but i chalked that up to inexperience...now i don't but thats about 2 years later...so if i haven't learned them somewhat by now...i need to quit...

are u on the passives or actives? if passives what amp? i use the samson servo 260...kinda noisey but works pretty well

How's your room?

My biggest problems with mixes since I've had the yorkvilles are with the low end likely due to problems with my room (which I'm treating right now). Also, I have a tendency to mix things a bit on the dull sde because my ears are pretty sensitive to high frequency stuff and I find I get fatigued fairly quickly. It helps if I keep referencing some good recordings and compensate. But I haven't noticed any serious problems in the upper bass that I can attribute to the speakers. I have mine powered with a Hafler P3000 BTW.

No problems with mud but I rearranged the control room a year ago and had to completely relearn them. I got dialed into the way they behaved and when I moved them, the way I precieved the bass changed radicly.

Ok, its a room problem...John designed me a bass trap for me and I botched one of the slots with an extra wide gap... I thought I could get by and I was wrong. The extra large slot is causing a 3.5db dip at the 1 meter equilateral mix position.

I regain the 3.5db at 7ft from the monitors. Im going to have to experiment with how to tweak the gap to regain the 3.5db without having to remove (destroy) the trap. Hows that for design work. Near perfect room except for a slight dip caused by manufacturing error on my part. Doh! If I was mastering...the room would be great.

Thanks for your inputs :)

SoMm

y would it be great for mastering? i thought mastering rooms and studio control rooms were designed the same the big difference is the 100 input desk the studio room has....

The console is actually nestled into a cubby area. I asked for help from John Sayers in a thread he was invited to by Brad Blackwood. Every room is a compromise, so perfect is a relative term. I say "great" partly in jest as well, because I do master in the room when pressed by clients who have no more money left for real mastering. It happens...If they got budget they get sent away... Its an unfortunate situation for alot of Indies. Im still learning mastering and hopefully in a few years I can get a specialized room or enough experience to get a job somewhere doing it full time. I firmly believe you need a cerrtain amount of experience and experimentation before diving into the mastering pool. Ive gotten alot of help...guidance and advice from some pretty good folks. I wish I could just quit my job and go intern as an ME somewhere..but I gotta feed my family. Ive been heading in the general direction for a few years. My plan is basically use the recording studio to funnel money into mastering gear..then a room, then sink or swim. :)

SoMm

Back