your vote for best compact mixer

dolecek1

what is the best compact mixer and why? i thought about getitng the soundcract compact4 but i want the best, im a one man band so i dont need more than 4 channels, so whats whats the best?

i'd say it's down to the yammie 12/4, the soundcraft compact 4, and a used mackie non-vlz 1202.

i got my mackie 1202 for $60-65 shipped on eBay. the yammie is about $90 shipped BRAND NEW, and not much more for the compact 4, iirc.

only thing to mention is that the compact 4 has more headphone routing options...i think.

you really shouldn't split too many hairs in this price range. just buy it and start using it.

I use the yamaha mg 12/4 and is very pleased with it, great routing flexibility, sends, 4 busses, and fairly ok preamps, at least compared to behringers small mixers and budget outboard preamps..

Yes the compact 4 has 2 headphone jack's, so what if you doesn't need 2 sets of headphones for a one man band..

Instead of the compact4 I would definetly go for yamaha mg 10/2 that has 4 mono channels, for your instruments, and 2 stereo channels, one of them could you use as a outboard volume control for the lineout from your soundcard..

There are so many factors to consider when claiming the best compact mixer. I personally think the Speck XtraMix is the best compact mixer I've used, based on sound quality alone. But it doesn't have eq or preamps, so that would make it useless for some.

But for four channels, I think the really small Mackie compact mixers are actually pretty good sounding. Like the 1202 and 1402. The other Mackie compact that sounds good is the LM-3204, but that has way more channels than you need and no preamps (they have to be physically patched in on the rear panel).

A small Soundcraft would be good as well.

I have the Mackie 1402VLZ mixer, it's the only mixer that I have owned but I am well pleased with the performance. Very low noise, 3 band active eq, phantom power with a rude light, built in power supply. More features on there than I use but for my home recordings very useful, very nice sounding pre-amps also. :)

Soundcraft M12 works for me. Several features unexpected from a little board, decent preamps, and good eq. I've used compact Mackies and have been less than impressed.

Back