your review of the MXL 990

Compared to say... SP B1 or Shure SM57, how is the MXL 990?

• Good

Votes: 136 65.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 72 34.6%

• Total voters
ok, gotta go with the grain and say it sucks on vocals. the top end is pretty grainy. combine that with the presence peak and you get a very edgy mic.

however, its a good mic to get something to really CUT through in a mix. but i wouldnt use it on more than one instrument, as i would be afraid it would negatively affect the overall flavor.

I bought one just to get the shockmount for my TLM103.
And then they were so cheap I bought another. Thought it might be handy to have a pair.

Haven't even plugged them in yet. My thoughts were to try them as drum overheads and cab mics. Maybe even aux percussion?

I just tried 2 of them I have for acoustic guitar at nut pointed to hole, they had almost no mids some lows and surprising high higs. wierd, but that's only one placement. I just auditioned 6 mics at that spot. 991 was nicer, ecm8000 wasn't bad either - omni - sounded flat like I could easily eq it since all freqs were basically there.... a lot more testing lined up.

Hmm. It's a cheaper mxl-603 with (supposedly) slightly better electronics . . . and it's in an attractive package that looks kind of classy and expensive.

At 60 bucks (or whatever it's going for these days), I say it's a winner. Call me crazy.

Markd102 said:
I bought one just to get the shockmount for my TLM103.
And then they were so cheap I bought another. Thought it might be handy to have a pair.

Haven't even plugged them in yet. My thoughts were to try them as drum overheads and cab mics. Maybe even aux percussion?

really? you can mod it out to fit the TLM103? the acutal shockmount is fuckin rediculous $$$$!

Robertt8 said:
mine sucks bad on anything, but i still think i got a bad one, which means thier QC must suck.
I had a '64 Mercedes like that. Yeah based on that car, I'd never buy another one - their QC must really suck.

grn said:
I got this free with my Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96
Hell for free I'd buy three! GW (My take on GC) had a deal where you could get the 990 & 991 with the box, the gear, whatever for $99.
I thought, Hmmm one Senn E835 or one Shure 58 or 2 mics for the same price.

I tried all of them. I opted for the one Senn E835 (I have a low tenor to high bass voice) 'cause it sounded better to me. The 990 sounded like I was inside a can. However, for free I wouldn't turn it down. Use it, play with, try all kinds of stuff, try doing that Mic Test that Harv suggested in the big thread. See how it stands up to the test.

If you hate it, there is always e-bay!

I'm going to have to say i like mine. Not because it is an awsome mic, which it isn't but for the price it works very well for me. I use it for hip hop vocals and it works fine. I don't really touch the high end so it works fine for vocals for me and is much cleaner than my sm 57. I haven't had a chance to use mine much because I have been sick but for the price, it's pretty nice (atleast for what i'm using it for).

Harvey Gerst said:
I had a '64 Mercedes like that. Yeah based on that car, I'd never buy another one - their QC must really suck.

are you being sarcastic? i can't tell...if you bought a shitty car in 64, i would guess their QC did suck. god knows what it's like 50 years later. i'm guessing it's better now.

Robertt8 said:
are you being sarcastic? i can't tell...if you bought a shitty car in 64, i would guess their QC did suck. god knows what it's like 50 years later. i'm guessing it's better now.
Sorry about not being very clear. Yes, I was being sarcastic.

I suppose what Harv was trying to say with his sarcasm (I know 'cause I'm psychic), is that one bad mic is not a indication of bad QC from the company.
If you go to a manufacturing plant (any plant - Well maybe not sweat shops) they have charts all over the place on projected statistics, current statistics, and past statistics all based on quality of the product cost, blah, blah, blah.

This was a free service from your forum friendly psychic. :D :D :D :cool:

Last edited:
I like mine. I'm not real picky though, lol. I always seem to boost vocals in the 10K region, and now I don't. I'm Chris, and that is my story.

HEY HARVEY, YOU COMING OUT TONIGHT????

chrisharris said:
I like mine. I'm not real picky though, lol. I always seem to boost vocals in the 10K region, and now I don't. I'm Chris, and that is my story.

HEY HARVEY, YOU COMING OUT TONIGHT????
That's the plan so far. Should I bring a bass?

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
That's the plan so far. Should I bring a bass?
hehehee...you know it's cool with me. Of course, being the cheapest bastard on the planet, my board only has 4 inputs, all of which are being used. :D

No sweat, I'll bring a small amp. I ain't the greatest bass player in the world, but I can play in any key (even without a capo), and pretty much follow most songs I've never heard before, and I have a decent sense of timing, I'm told. Should be fun.

Harvey Gerst said:
No sweat, I'll bring a small amp. I ain't the greatest bass player in the world, but I can play in any key (even without a capo), and pretty much follow most songs I've never heard before, and I have a decent sense of timing, I'm told. Should be fun.
It'll be great, man. I'm not sure if anybody'll be there tonight, but we'll have fun. Oh, and the 2nd set is entirely originals tonight, so strap on, lol. :D

guttapercha said:
Harsh/loud high end, no warmth. disappointed - think I'll default to a 57 for a sub-100 all-purpose mic.
I agree with that fully. I would not have purchaced this mic except that i only record rap vocals which tend to work decently with the mic. I don't need the warmth, it sounds very flat which actually complments my voice. I would say this mic has very limited uses but is a damn good bargain if it works for you.

Back