your pick for: compressor for acoustic fingerstyle guitar

zenpicker

I think it's time I got a compressor/limiter. I've got some sensitive mikes that occasionally distort when my dynamics change, basically ruining everything; but when I back the mikes off and twiddle knobs to try and handle my loudest signal, I lose the proximity effect from the mikes to the degree that the sound gets rather sallow.

It seems like the common solution is to put a compressor/limiter in the signal chain, set it so that it just intercepts the real spikes that would cause distortion without overly coloring my sound, and play on fearlessly. Some have advised not to do this b/c you can always add compression later, in mixing, but that doesn't help with my distortion issue - I'm not interested in compression as a sound coloring technique, so much.

So - I am holding this 20% off coupon from Guitar Center...uh huh....

I know folks like the RNC, but just from the price it seems like this is not up to the level of my ADesigns tube pre, and I don't want to taint my signal path. Also, I'm not at all clear on whether a tube compressor is preferable when the goal is basically taming transients. Is the response time fast enough?

If I'm willing to spend $400, i.e. $500 value given the coupon, what should I get? I need FOUR channels for my mikes, BTW....

Any strong opinions? I searched the forum and didn't see much in the way of specific equipment preferences for fingerstyle. TIA! Help me spend this dough!!

In that price range I would go with 2 RNCs or 2 ART ProVLAs.

Compressors are not always clear sounding by the way, in fact the coloring they impart is desired in many instances.

Thanks, two RNCs is one option certainly in the running. I actually just got off the phone with Mercenary and they reassured me that the RNC would not degrade my signal chain below the quality level of my mikes and pre, so that's reassuring.

zenpicker said:
Thanks, two RNCs is one option certainly in the running. I actually just got off the phone with Mercenary and they reassured me that the RNC would not degrade my signal chain below the quality level of my mikes and pre, so that's reassuring.
So you called Mercenary and got equipment advise for a Guitar Center purchase...
This is a public forum you-know :D your salesman is probably reading this now

dude your acoustic guitar is not cranking out enough volume to reach the maximum SPL rating of your mics. Trust me. You're setting your gain to high. Compression is not the answer, learning about proper gain staging is the answer. You know what i'd do? I'd find someone in the area who is a good engineer and have them record you.

sweetnubs said:
<snip snip>...You know what i'd do? I'd find someone in the area who is a good engineer and have them record you.

...And pay careful attention to what they do so you can imitate and learn from them in the future.

Good advice sweetnubs!

sweetnubs said:
dude your acoustic guitar is not cranking out enough volume to reach the maximum SPL rating of your mics. Trust me. You're setting your gain to high. Compression is not the answer, learning about proper gain staging is the answer. You know what i'd do? I'd find someone in the area who is a good engineer and have them record you.
What an unhelpful and rather insulting response. I am here to learn, not be told to just give it up. This is a home recording forum, remember?

MOFO Pro said:
So you called Mercenary and got equipment advise for a Guitar Center purchase...
This is a public forum you-know :D your salesman is probably reading this now
Not at all. GC doesn't carry FMR products, as I knew. I'm not at all wedded to using my coupon with them. They're usually more than 20% above the best internet price for gear anyway....

zenpicker said:
What an unhelpful and rather insulting response. I am here to learn, not be told to just give it up. This is a home recording forum, remember?

I don't think sweetnubs was suggesting giving up. Rather, I read the comment as a suggestion to get a one time "lesson" with a pro so you have hands on experience to educate yourself with. We can all type all kinds of things here, but being with someone live and being able to ask questions on the fly is an invaluable tool for edification. Go out of the home studio to bring more back in.

zenpicker said:

Sweetnubs' post was 100% spot on.

Instead of reacting emotionally, you might try humbling yourself and taking the time to learn a thing or two from a post that was trying to be very helpful.

Go back and read it again. There is no way in hell your fingerpicked accoustic is going to distort your inputs unless you have your gain turned up way too high. In which case, you can save yourself some money and effort by taking the time to comprehend your gain-staging situation.

If you can't sort that out, then you're really going to have a hard time figuring out how to use a compressor properly. Good luck.

sweetnubs said:
dude your acoustic guitar is not cranking out enough volume to reach the maximum SPL rating of your mics. Trust me. You're setting your gain to high. Compression is not the answer, learning about proper gain staging is the answer.
Good advice. You can learn how to handle gain staging, etc. just with the search function here. Read away and experiment.

Tim

Last edited:
zenpicker said:
Not at all. GC doesn't carry FMR products, as I knew. I'm not at all wedded to using my coupon with them. They're usually more than 20% above the best internet price for gear anyway....
Well... you're right there... on both points... my bad
I should really try to stop and think sometimes... oh, did I say that out loud

sweetnubs said:
dude your acoustic guitar is not cranking out enough volume to reach the maximum SPL rating of your mics. Trust me......Compression is not the answer

First thought I had, too...... good answer.

I've learned that acoustic guitar is one instrument that should not need any compression at all.....if it needs compressed, you are doing something wrong.

zenpicker said:
I think it's time I got a compressor/limiter. I've got some sensitive mikes that occasionally distort when my dynamics change, basically ruining everything; but when I back the mikes off and twiddle knobs to try and handle my loudest signal, I lose the proximity effect from the mikes to the degree that the sound gets rather sallow.

It seems like the common solution is to put a compressor/limiter in the signal chain, set it so that it just intercepts the real spikes that would cause distortion without overly coloring my sound, and play on fearlessly. Some have advised not to do this b/c you can always add compression later, in mixing, but that doesn't help with my distortion issue - I'm not interested in compression as a sound coloring technique, so much.

Hi Edward.

Don't let the posts you read bother you. Many of the folks on recording forums are a bit gruff. Also, most infrequently deal with solo fingerstyle guitar, but instead are involved with other styles of music with full ensembles - rock, hip-hop, etc.

The gain staging suggestion may be the answer, but not necessarily. Let me explain. Say you are recording 10 tunes (solo fingerstyle), and for every tune, you find that 45dB of gain from your preamp works just fine, except for 4 beats in one of the songs, which clip your converters when tracking. Well, you could turn the gain down for all those songs (say to 42dB) to make sure you don't clip for those 4 beats of one song. Or you could keep the gain at 45dB and use a compressor or limiter, set to handle just those spikes. Another solution is to adjust your right hand attack during those 4 beats to avoid clipping, but that might compromise the music a bit.

So, gain staging is quite possibly the answer, but it might not be. It depends.

BTW, I'm interested in hy you would need 4 channels of compression for 4 mics. Are you recording solo fingerstyle with 4 mics? Yikes! You're a brave soul.

As far as compressor/limiters go (2 channel), take a look at a used Drawmer DL241. It's perfect for solo fingerstyle and close to your budget.

Middleman said:
In that price range I would go with 2 RNCs or 2 ART ProVLAs.

Compressors are not always clear sounding by the way, in fact the coloring they impart is desired in many instances.

Amen. Of course don't forget Joemeek if you speak of compression...

Back