Your Opinion of Tascam Portastudio

CharmedLife417

Hi, I'm brand new on this board and just found it through a Google search.

I'm new to home recording, so just dipping my toe in. It looks like I can get a used Tascam Portastudio DP-02 for around $100.00 on CL or eBay.

I'm not an electric guitar player -- in fact, I don't even own one -- but I do own nine acoustics, including a Gibson and a Martin, and three mandolins. I've begun writing songs in my head, and I need something to capture the melody, since I don't read or write music.

I'm going to start with a cheapie handheld digital recorder in the car, but also want something for the home.

I'm a little technically challenged, but a quick learner. Is this little Tascam unit a good approach for me, with budget in mind? Are there any pitfalls or inadequacies to this unit? Is there anything else on the market I might want to look at?

I'll mainly just be doing acoustic guitar and vocals, with maybe an overdub of a second guitar or mandolin.

Thanks!

I've never owned one but I don't think you can really go wrong. I've heard great things about them and I think it would suit your needs. I'm probably going to invest in one as well. I think if you wanted to go electric though or just wanted more options, digital recording would probably be better.

Back